HP Officejet 7410 Wireless Wizard Problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Officejet 7410 Wireless Wizard Problem - Hewlett Packard ; Help. My brand new HP Officejet 7410 cannot get to the point of even failing a network test. The printers wireless network wizard rejects all WEP keywords as "too short." My valid keyword is rejected as too short. Bogus test ...

  1. HP Officejet 7410 Wireless Wizard Problem

    Help. My brand new HP Officejet 7410 cannot get to the point of even
    failing a network test. The printers wireless network wizard rejects
    all WEP keywords as "too short." My valid keyword is rejected as too
    short. Bogus test WEP keywords of 12 characters in length are rejected
    as too short. I cannot get past the Step Five - page 17 in HPs
    "Wireless all-in-one Network Guide.

    Ideas?

    I am hot so time for some earned flaming. HP support is absolutely
    without a clue. Worthless. A waste. At every point possible, HP
    on-line Support trys blame my network when the printer cannot even get
    to the point of attempting to connect. After four attemps and three
    wasted hours, the only thing gained is a dislike for my old employer
    and a burning oath never to buy anything with HP on the label again.

    I proudly worked for HP in the early and mid 80s. HP was a great
    company then from products to support and ethics. Bill and Dave must
    be rolling over in their graves. HP support stinks. Samsung's is
    better (no joke).

    Finn

  2. Re: HP Officejet 7410 Wireless Wizard Problem

    Problem (wireless 7410 printer access on a Netgear 802.11g wireless
    network) solved by the following steps:

    1- Removed all security setings on the Netgear Router (WEP encryption &
    MAC address filtering)
    2- Connected the 7410 printer and a pc directly - ethernet CAT- to the
    Netgear router
    3- Installed HP all-in-one office software (HP Director) on the PC
    4- Updated HP software to current revs.
    5- Reintroduced MAC address filtering at the router
    6- Manually added WEP encryption key (note: NOT the WEP passcode) to
    the printer via HP DIrector PC software and not by way of the HP7410
    Printer Wizzard.
    7- Reconfigured WEP encrytion on the router

    The 7410 works well wirelessly. And the first time after completion
    of these 7 steps.

    A hard lesson is learned. I wasted 4 hours with HP on-line support on
    4 different calls. During this interaction, not once did an HP support
    rep seem to grasp the basic problem at hand. I shake my head. Shame
    on me for making the same mistake 3 more times.

    Hope this fix helps some other poor soul.

    Finn

+ Reply to Thread