Problem With HP Windows Program - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Problem With HP Windows Program - Hewlett Packard ; I am the computer administrator and only user of my HP Pavilion 4170 laptop. When I go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance and click on Administrative Tools, the windows comes up but there are no icons so I can't make ...

  1. Problem With HP Windows Program

    I am the computer administrator and only user of my HP Pavilion 4170
    laptop. When I go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance and
    click on Administrative Tools, the windows comes up but there are no
    icons so I can't make any changes or check anything. What gives with
    this. The "My Computer" icon has also disappeared from my desktop. How
    do I get it back?

    I wanted to reinstall Windows XP thinking this might solve the problem
    but apparently the product key that HP put on the bottom of my laptop
    for Windows XP Home Edition is not correct. The CD they gave me is for
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

    My chat with their tech support only gave me the option to restore the
    computer to its original state which meant I'd lose everything I had on
    it. This wouldn't solve the problem of the product key however since
    if I had to reinstall Windows XP again, I'd have the same situation!

    Has anyone else had this problem of them giving you the wrong CD? The
    number on the computer doesn't match the one on the CD envelope either,
    if that means anything.

    Ok--two problems, or more, that I need help with.

    Pat

  2. Re: Problem With HP Windows Program

    On the seventh day, PatETC wrote...

    > I am the computer administrator and only user of my HP Pavilion 4170
    > laptop. When I go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance and
    > click on Administrative Tools, the windows comes up but there are no
    > icons so I can't make any changes or check anything. What gives with
    > this. The "My Computer" icon has also disappeared from my desktop. How
    > do I get it back?

    that sounds really strange. Whatever you do - consider reinstalling
    everything from scratch as the only option for a rather novice user since
    fixing your problems might not be easy. And your troubles may also be
    caused by a virus. I therefore strongly suggest reinstallation.

    Your problem is a Windows problem, BTW, so you can't blame HP for that (but
    you didn't do that did you?) :-)

    > I wanted to reinstall Windows XP thinking this might solve the problem
    > but apparently the product key that HP put on the bottom of my laptop
    > for Windows XP Home Edition is not correct. The CD they gave me is for
    > Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

    that's alright. Your key should work no matter what XP Home is on the CD as
    long as the CD itself is from HP.

    > My chat with their tech support only gave me the option to restore the
    > computer to its original state which meant I'd lose everything I had on
    > it.

    You'd better make yourself comfortable with that idea. Chances are, you
    won't be able to fix the problems and you might also have a virus, meaning
    you don't want your infected data back anyway...

    > This wouldn't solve the problem of the product key however since
    > if I had to reinstall Windows XP again, I'd have the same situation!

    you can always call Microsoft to have your product activated if that's what
    you're concerned of. No problem at all.

    > Has anyone else had this problem of them giving you the wrong CD?

    As I told you, the key doesn't even matter as long as both the key and the
    CD are from HP and mention the same product which is XP Home Edition in
    your case.

    > The
    > number on the computer doesn't match the one on the CD envelope either,
    > if that means anything.

    what do you mean by that? You should have one key only: the one on the
    bottom of your laptop, to name it.

    HTH

    I'm not suppsed to be here, sir. I'm.....supposed to be dead! -
    Tasha Yar, "Star Trek: The Next Generation, (Yesterday's
    Enterprise)"

+ Reply to Thread