DOS 6.0 Keyboard driver for HP pavilion ze5000-KD - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DOS 6.0 Keyboard driver for HP pavilion ze5000-KD - Hewlett Packard ; I have a "ze5000 CTO" notebook, and I want DOS 6.0 to be one OS on it. The technology code is KD. I've got XP Pro working Ok. In DOS, the 's' key doesn't work. The keyboard is brand new, ...

  1. DOS 6.0 Keyboard driver for HP pavilion ze5000-KD

    I have a "ze5000 CTO" notebook, and I want DOS 6.0 to be one OS on it. The
    technology code is KD. I've got XP Pro working Ok. In DOS, the 's' key
    doesn't work. The keyboard is brand new, as I replaced it because the other
    one had a different problem (in XP). Does anyone know of a DOS keyboard
    driver for this? The keyboard part number is 317443-001.

    Joseph Shead

  2. Re: DOS 6.0 Keyboard driver for HP pavilion ze5000-KD

    From what I can glean at the HP web site, this system is new enough that
    specific DOS keyboard drivers would not ever have been developed.

    Have you thought about using an external standard keyboard? Of course, an
    external keyboard is not too portable, but if you are doing your DOS work all in
    one place, it could be a solution... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:58:30 GMT, "Joe Shead" wrote:

    >I have a "ze5000 CTO" notebook, and I want DOS 6.0 to be one OS on it. The
    >technology code is KD. I've got XP Pro working Ok. In DOS, the 's' key
    >doesn't work. The keyboard is brand new, as I replaced it because the other
    >one had a different problem (in XP). Does anyone know of a DOS keyboard
    >driver for this? The keyboard part number is 317443-001.
    >
    >Joseph Shead

  3. Re: DOS 6.0 Keyboard driver for HP pavilion ze5000-KD

    No, I hadn't thought of that. It would work great, because it is only
    occasional that I have to use a DOS program (that use communications stuff
    that sometimes won't work in the DOS emulation program in Windows).

    I wrote that, and then I connected an external keyboard to the laptop. Same
    problem! You hit the 's' key, and nothing happens. I guess it may be the
    keyboard type. The external keyboard is the 101 (or 102) key standard
    keyboard, with a Windows key, and a menu key (a Dell Quiet Key keyboard).
    The internal laptop keyboard is 88 key, but it says it is "101-key
    compatible", and it also has a Windows key and menu key.

    Well, so then I searched on the internet for a DOS driver for a 101-key
    keyboard. That lead me to something about ANSI.SYS, and the /x and /k
    switches. That didn't do it, though. But, in the process of searching for
    things that might have to do with this special keyboard, I noticed that
    sometimes the 's' key would start working, and I didn't know what I had
    done. I ended up discovering two ways to fix it:

    (1) Fn-Alt-115, Ctrl-P, Ctrl-P
    or
    Fn-Alt-115 as the first thing after boot up. With either method,
    once the 's' key started working, it wouldn't quit except with a reboot. If
    you hit the 's' key, or something like "asdf", then too bad. It wouldn't
    work until you did the sequence above, with Ctrl-P. So, I think it has
    something to do with something getting initialized, and umm, 'primed'.
    They've got some bugs in the BIOS. I think.

    (2) Then, I went into BIOS setup. It is very simple, and doesn't have
    anything to do with the keyboard, directly. But, with a pretty good idea
    that their stuff was buggy, I thought I'd try whatever options they had. It
    is BIOS KD.M1.82. It wasn't the "External Pointing Device" or "Video Display
    Device" settings. But, when I set "Legacy USB Support" to Disabled, that did
    it. It works without any help from (1) above. Maybe the connection between
    USB and keyboards is the USB keyboards out there, and certain BIOS bug fixes
    for them.

    Anyway, you're suggestion kind of lead me to a little more information, and
    a few more ideas about what kind of problem it may be..., and there's the
    meat of it.

    Thanks,

    Joe

    wrote:

    > >I have a "ze5000 CTO" notebook, and I want DOS 6.0 to be one OS on it.

    The
    > >technology code is KD. I've got XP Pro working Ok. In DOS, the 's' key
    > >doesn't work. The keyboard is brand new, as I replaced it because the

    other
    > >one had a different problem (in XP). Does anyone know of a DOS keyboard
    > >driver for this? The keyboard part number is 317443-001.
    > >
    > >Joseph Shead

  4. Re: DOS 6.0 Keyboard driver for HP pavilion ze5000-KD

    Good! That's real progress... Ben

+ Reply to Thread