Parellel-to-USB cable for LaserJet 4L ? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Parellel-to-USB cable for LaserJet 4L ? - Hewlett Packard ; Have an HP LaserJet 4L that I now wish to connect to the USB on my laptop. Is it simply a matter of buying a Parallel-to-USB cable, or is this all more complicated than that? (The HP book on the ...

  1. Parellel-to-USB cable for LaserJet 4L ?

    Have an HP LaserJet 4L that I now wish to connect to the USB on my
    laptop. Is it simply a matter of buying a Parallel-to-USB cable, or is
    this all more complicated than that? (The HP book on the printer has a
    page on something it calls the Bi-Tronics Paralles Interface ??)

    Christopher

  2. Re: Parellel-to-USB cable for LaserJet 4L ?

    You should be able to use the 4L with a normal everyday Parallel-USB cable.
    Install the drivers first as though the printer was attached to a parallel port,
    but do not print a test page. Next, install the cable. Then, attach the
    printer to the cable. Finally, go to the printer properties and change the
    printer port to the USB one and print a test page. You may also have to
    disable bi-directional printing for the 4L in the printer's properties.

    "Bi-Tronics Parallel Interface" is simply a fancy way of saying that the printer
    uses a bi-directional connection to the computer. The original parallel
    interface had data flowing in only one direction, from computer to printer.
    Modern printers communicate in the other direction back to the computer.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 3 Jan 2006 20:40:47 -0800, casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Have an HP LaserJet 4L that I now wish to connect to the USB on my
    >laptop. Is it simply a matter of buying a Parallel-to-USB cable, or is
    >this all more complicated than that? (The HP book on the printer has a
    >page on something it calls the Bi-Tronics Paralles Interface ??)
    >
    >Christopher

  3. Re: Parellel-to-USB cable for LaserJet 4L ?

    Ben:

    Thanks for the reply (and pardon,please, my delay in responding).
    Useful information: will install as you suggest.

    Christopher

+ Reply to Thread