HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition - Hewlett Packard ; For the many posts that have expressed frustration I make this contribution. I too was equally frustrated after spending many hours attempting to install a new Maxtor SATA drive in my Pavilion 630n (the original drive failed). After approaching the ...

  1. HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    For the many posts that have expressed frustration I make this
    contribution. I too was equally frustrated after spending many hours
    attempting to install a new Maxtor SATA drive in my Pavilion 630n (the
    original drive failed). After approaching the task from every possible
    angle using the 15+ years of experience working in the field I resolved
    myself to chat online with a HP support technician. The chat session
    (partial transcript below) was very enlightening as is revealed that HP
    motherboards utilize a proprietary disk management partition. Basically
    without the partition you cannot install XP even from the HP System
    Recovery CD's (which also do not the disk management software). The end
    of the matter is if you have a hard disk go bad in an HP Pavilion you
    MUST use an HP authorized service center as the disk management
    software is not publicly available. So regardless of whether your
    system is under warranty or not you must pay HP to have it fixed. You
    other option is to purchase a replacement non-HP motherboard.

    Any attempts to install XP on a drive without the disk management
    partition will result in file copy errors. At various points during the
    XP installation the install will hang indicating that a particular file
    could not be copied. The end result is the OS will not load
    successfully.

    Partial HP Transcript:

    Jay Geraghty: checking hold on
    Jay Geraghty: it is out of warranty I know that
    Ralph S: In that case you may need to take the computer to a nearest
    authorized service center.
    Jay Geraghty: did that and they could not figure it out (Best Buy)
    Jay Geraghty: about 6 months ago I had a similar problem and they
    replaced the main board
    Jay Geraghty: now I am having the same problem again??
    Jay Geraghty: are these machines problematic?
    Ralph S: You may need to take the computer to a HP Authorized service
    provider so that they install a utilities in your computer and resolve
    the issue.
    Jay Geraghty: what utilities? are they not on the restore CD's
    Ralph S: No, they can be installed by the authorized service provider.
    Jay Geraghty: would you suspect the main board it light of the
    symptoms?
    Jay Geraghty: it light of it being out of warranty would I be better
    off just getting a new machine or main board?
    Ralph S: You can get a new motherboard.
    Jay Geraghty: I have been reading similar problems online with other
    Pavilion owners
    Jay Geraghty: seems like a weak line of machines
    Jay Geraghty: no real explaination of why this issue repeats itself
    Jay Geraghty: have you seen this issue with other customers
    Ralph S: No we have not seen this issue, this issue happened because
    DMI utility is not installed in the new harddisk.
    Jay Geraghty: the restore CD's don't install the util?
    Ralph S: No, they will not install the DMI utility.
    Jay Geraghty: can I download?
    Ralph S: Sorry for the delay.
    Ralph S: The utility is not available for download.
    Jay Geraghty: so basically a hard disk cannot successfuly be installed
    into an HP Pavilion without using a service provider
    Jay Geraghty: because of the DIM util?
    Ralph S: Yes. You are correct.
    Ralph S: It is a disk management utility.
    Jay Geraghty: WOW, that stinks - really restricts your customer base
    wouldn't you agree?
    Ralph S: I do understand. The HP authorized provider can install this
    utility in your computer.
    Jay Geraghty: yeah for $$ - so basically an individual cannot repqir
    their own machine when it is out of warranty
    Ralph S: yes, it can be rectified you need to install the DMI utility,
    however only HP authorized service provider could do it. Once you take
    the system to them they would install it.,
    Jay Geraghty: okay, thx for your candid responses Ralph. It has been
    very enlightening yet sad

  2. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    More great news from hp. I have been complaining about recovery disc
    problems, for nothing! The very reason that I want them is for hard drive
    failure and they won't work without utility software that I can't get . This
    along with the driver difficulty makes it clear to me that hp does not want
    me to be able to repair this machine.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    wrote in message
    news:1135973972.615095.233990@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> [...]
    > Ralph S: The utility is not available for download.
    > Jay Geraghty: so basically a hard disk cannot successfuly be installed
    > into an HP Pavilion without using a service provider
    > Jay Geraghty: because of the DIM util?
    > Ralph S: Yes. You are correct.
    > Ralph S: It is a disk management utility.
    > Jay Geraghty: WOW, that stinks - really restricts your customer base
    > wouldn't you agree?
    > Ralph S: I do understand. The HP authorized provider can install this
    > utility in your computer.
    > Jay Geraghty: yeah for $$ - so basically an individual cannot repqir
    > their own machine when it is out of warranty
    > Ralph S: yes, it can be rectified you need to install the DMI utility,
    > however only HP authorized service provider could do it. Once you take
    > the system to them they would install it.,
    > Jay Geraghty: okay, thx for your candid responses Ralph. It has been

    I find HP support a waste of time.

    Here is a link for mor information regarding your problem.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en

  4. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    wrote in message
> [...]
    > Ralph S: The utility is not available for download.
    > Jay Geraghty: so basically a hard disk cannot successfuly be installed
    > into an HP Pavilion without using a service provider
    > Jay Geraghty: because of the DIM util?
    > Ralph S: Yes. You are correct.
    > Ralph S: It is a disk management utility.
    > Jay Geraghty: WOW, that stinks - really restricts your customer base
    > wouldn't you agree?
    > Ralph S: I do understand. The HP authorized provider can install this
    > utility in your computer.
    > Jay Geraghty: yeah for $$ - so basically an individual cannot repqir
    > their own machine when it is out of warranty
    > Ralph S: yes, it can be rectified you need to install the DMI utility,
    > however only HP authorized service provider could do it. Once you take
    > the system to them they would install it.,
    > Jay Geraghty: okay, thx for your candid responses Ralph. It has been

    Look here too:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=426322&os=228

    Dont listen to the bull**** from HP Support!

  5. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    As I noted before, a Windows XP install CD plus the drivers on the HP web site
    as identified by other people will enable you to get the system working again.
    Exactly like it left the factory? No, but close enough.

    As for hard drive diagnostics, I always advocate using the diagnostic software
    available from the drive manufacturer's web site. For Toshiba drives, use the
    Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, because Toshiba does not care enough about its
    customers to supply a Toshiba diagnostic... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:28:59 -0800, "til" wrote:

    >More great news from hp. I have been complaining about recovery disc
    >problems, for nothing! The very reason that I want them is for hard drive
    >failure and they won't work without utility software that I can't get . This
    >along with the driver difficulty makes it clear to me that hp does not want
    >me to be able to repair this machine.

  6. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    wrote in message
    > As I noted before, a Windows XP install CD plus the drivers on the HP web
    > site
    > as identified by other people will enable you to get the system working
    > again.
    > Exactly like it left the factory? No, but close enough.
    >
    > As for hard drive diagnostics, I always advocate using the diagnostic
    > software
    > available from the drive manufacturer's web site. For Toshiba drives, use
    > the
    > Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, because Toshiba does not care enough about its
    > customers to supply a Toshiba diagnostic... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben, I will put as many drivers as I can come up with on a CD.
    Forget all the garbage from the original install. As long as I can install
    xp, that is what I prefer anyway. Would I copy the drivers to c:\ , using
    dos, before installing xp? Til

  7. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    No. Install XP first, preferably with NTFS, which would make it impossible to
    copy the drivers with DOS anyway. Then insert the CD with the drivers. Install
    any chipset drivers FIRST, otherwise the install of the other drivers may not
    work... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:42:22 -0800, "til" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> As I noted before, a Windows XP install CD plus the drivers on the HP web
    >> site
    >> as identified by other people will enable you to get the system working
    >> again.
    >> Exactly like it left the factory? No, but close enough.
    >>
    >> As for hard drive diagnostics, I always advocate using the diagnostic
    >> software
    >> available from the drive manufacturer's web site. For Toshiba drives, use
    >> the
    >> Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, because Toshiba does not care enough about its
    >> customers to supply a Toshiba diagnostic... Ben Myers

    >Thanks Ben, I will put as many drivers as I can come up with on a CD.
    >Forget all the garbage from the original install. As long as I can install
    >xp, that is what I prefer anyway. Would I copy the drivers to c:\ , using
    >dos, before installing xp? Til

  8. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    wrote in message
    > No. Install XP first, preferably with NTFS, which would make it
    > impossible to
    > copy the drivers with DOS anyway. Then insert the CD with the drivers.
    > Install
    > any chipset drivers FIRST, otherwise the install of the other drivers may
    > not
    > work... Ben Myers

    I downloaded CDBurnerXP Pro and made a CD boot disc which gives me access to
    DrDos. Won't this be functional (it appears that it is functional) and
    can't I run virus scans from there, such as F-prot? I have access to the cd
    writer. What you are saying is I won't be able to copy or delete files to
    the NTFS partition? or use DOS on the NTFS partition? I hope I am not
    messing this thread up, maybe this will be useful to the OP. Thanks much.
    Til

  9. Re: HP Pavilion Disk Management Partition

    To recap:

    Windows XP runs best with an NTFS file system, which is more reliable than the
    alternative FAT32. So, if you intend to reinstall Windows XP, first make sure
    you have an NTFS partition. The Windows install CD can do this for you
    automatically, early in the installation process.

    If you create a DOS FAT32 partition for the drivers, and copy the drivers into
    that area, you'll end up with a largely wasted FAT32 partition. Or you can
    create a dual-boot system, booting either Windows XP or DRDOS. (How to do
    dual-boot is beyond the scope of my response.)

    But, honestly, there is nothing to be gained by having the drivers in their own
    partition as long as you have a CD with the drivers on them.

    If you intend to run F-Prot or any other anti-virus software from the DOS world,
    you also need to have a DOS driver to read from and write to (to remove the
    viruses) the NTFS partition. AFAIK, Sysinternals is the only company that sells
    a DOS-mode NTFS file system driver. If you really and truly want to be able to
    run A-V software from DOS, then set up the system from the outset with a FAT32
    partition... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 13:06:16 -0800, "til" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> No. Install XP first, preferably with NTFS, which would make it
    >> impossible to
    >> copy the drivers with DOS anyway. Then insert the CD with the drivers.
    >> Install
    >> any chipset drivers FIRST, otherwise the install of the other drivers may
    >> not
    >> work... Ben Myers

    >I downloaded CDBurnerXP Pro and made a CD boot disc which gives me access to
    >DrDos. Won't this be functional (it appears that it is functional) and
    >can't I run virus scans from there, such as F-prot? I have access to the cd
    >writer. What you are saying is I won't be able to copy or delete files to
    >the NTFS partition? or use DOS on the NTFS partition? I hope I am not
    >messing this thread up, maybe this will be useful to the OP. Thanks much.
    >Til

+ Reply to Thread