Zd7000 won't boot - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Zd7000 won't boot - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, New to this group with a problem. I have a ZD7000, 2 years old, that won't boot. I have tried to boot with each of the recovery disks originally provided. When I push the 'on' button, (with ac and ...

  1. Zd7000 won't boot

    Hi,
    New to this group with a problem. I have a ZD7000, 2 years old, that
    won't boot. I have tried to boot with each of the recovery disks
    originally provided. When I push the 'on' button, (with ac and
    battery), the drive light comes on for less than 2 seconds, then goes
    out. The computer just doesn't do anything after that. HP site says
    to send it in. I would like to try anything before that!$ Thanks, Boni

  2. Re: Zd7000 won't boot

    http://www.zd7000forums.com/
    This is a group dedicated to the zd7000/8000. It is quite active, and you
    may get better results looking for help there.

    wrote in message
    news:1135867617.985217.179750@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    > New to this group with a problem. I have a ZD7000, 2 years old, that
    > won't boot. I have tried to boot with each of the recovery disks
    > originally provided. When I push the 'on' button, (with ac and
    > battery), the drive light comes on for less than 2 seconds, then goes
    > out. The computer just doesn't do anything after that. HP site says
    > to send it in. I would like to try anything before that!$ Thanks, Boni

  3. Re: Zd7000 won't boot

    wt7z@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > New to this group with a problem. I have a ZD7000, 2 years old, that
    > won't boot. I have tried to boot with each of the recovery disks
    > originally provided. When I push the 'on' button, (with ac and
    > battery), the drive light comes on for less than 2 seconds, then goes
    > out. The computer just doesn't do anything after that. HP site says
    > to send it in. I would like to try anything before that!$ Thanks, Boni

    Try a RAM reseat. Sometimes the connection between the RAM chip(s) and
    the socket can become less than great and will cause similar boot
    problems. I have even had laptops where I had to open the computer and
    reseat the CPU to solve a problem similar to this. You should also try
    removing the battery and attempt the boot with only the AC adapter. A
    bad battery can cause boot problems also, but I would almost bet on the
    RAM being the problem.

  4. Re: Zd7000 won't boot

    Dan,
    This is off topic for this post but I don't know how else to contact
    you. I read in another post (which I can't find) that you have taken
    apart a HP ze notebook. I really need help with my ze4500. I have a
    bad keyboard and am trying to get the cover off. All screws are out but
    there is something in the center holding the top and bottom cover
    together. I am afraid to pry to hard, and there are no screws left to
    remove. I have had this apart for 3 weeks now and really don't want to
    take this laptop to a shop, but have kind of come to a dead end on what
    to do. Any help would be fantastic!!!! Bill

  5. Re: Zd7000 won't boot

    sfcbruckmann wrote:
    > Dan,
    > This is off topic for this post but I don't know how else to contact
    > you. I read in another post (which I can't find) that you have taken
    > apart a HP ze notebook. I really need help with my ze4500. I have a
    > bad keyboard and am trying to get the cover off. All screws are out but
    > there is something in the center holding the top and bottom cover
    > together. I am afraid to pry to hard, and there are no screws left to
    > remove. I have had this apart for 3 weeks now and really don't want to
    > take this laptop to a shop, but have kind of come to a dead end on what
    > to do. Any help would be fantastic!!!! Bill

    OK. I'll try to help you with this. You do not need to take apart the
    whole clamshell case to replace the keyboard. Go ahead and put the
    screws back in the bottom of the case. By the way, if you really need to
    get the case apart, removing the keyboard will reveal the screws in the
    center that you need to remove.
    1. Turn the computer around and look at the back side. There is a screw
    in each one of the hinge covers for the screen. Remove them.
    2. Rotate the laptop so that you are once again looking at the front
    side. Open the screen so that the laptop is almost laying flat.
    3. Here's the somewhat scary part. Using a small screwdriver, you need
    to pry up the speaker grill just above and between the "home" and the
    "page up" key, and along the top of the Function keys F1- F11. That
    whole speaker grill with the power button and One Touch buttons simply
    snaps off once the two screws you removed from the hinge covers are out.
    4. Once you have released the snaps along the front of the speaker
    grill, you may have to help the hinge covers get clear of the hinges.
    Simply place a small screwdriver under the hinge cover and gently pry
    up. Do this on each hinge cover.
    5. Once you have the speaker grill off, you should see four small screws
    along the top of the keyboard. Remove these screws and the keyboard
    should rotate up from the top. There are tabs along the bottom edge of
    the keyboard that fit into the case. Pull the keyboard toward the screen
    about a quarter of an inch to release those tabs. The keyboard should
    now be free.
    5. Remove the ribbon cable from the system board by lifting the small
    tabs at each end of the connector. Be gentle. These connectors tend to
    come apart fairly easily. That should do it.
    By the way, as I was writing these instructions, I was disassembling my
    ZE4560 just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. To install the new
    keyboard, just perform these ops in reverse. You do have to be very
    careful that the ribbon cable is inserted fully and straightly into the
    connector.
    Good Luck!!

  6. Re: Zd7000 won't boot

    Your description is reminiscent of what I did to take apart a very dead P3
    Pavilion notebook. I think that I actually found a written description for how
    to do it on the HP web site... Ben Myers

+ Reply to Thread