No Power Problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on No Power Problem - Hewlett Packard ; I'm working on an HP Pavilion a614n desktop which will not power up when the power button is depressed. Need to identify cause of failure: power supply, motherboard, or power switch. When the power cord is plugged in with everything ...

  1. No Power Problem

    I'm working on an HP Pavilion a614n desktop which will not power up when
    the power button is depressed. Need to identify cause of failure: power
    supply, motherboard, or power switch.

    When the power cord is plugged in with everything else disconnected from
    the tower, the green LED on the power supply lights. Upon depressing
    the power button the LED turns off and does not flash. The LED will
    turn on again if the power cord is removed for a few seconds and plugged
    in again.

    When the power cord is plugged in with all the power cable connectors
    from the motherboard and internal devices disconnected, the power supply
    LED turns on and remains steady.

    I also re-seated the power switch motherboard connector. Can a
    continuity test determine if the switch is OK? If yes what are the
    procedures and expected results? The switch has three twisted pair
    leads: blue-black, red-black, and yellow-black.

    Is the power supply fused?

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Rich

  2. Re: No Power Problem

    I'll place my bet on the power supply. Power switches rarely fail. Best way to
    find out is to test the motherboard with another power supply. The power supply
    need not fit inside the chassis. Simply disconnect ALL devices and motherboard
    from the power supply inside, attach the "test" power supply, and see if it
    powers up... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:20:59 GMT, mail@nothanks.org wrote:

    >I'm working on an HP Pavilion a614n desktop which will not power up when
    >the power button is depressed. Need to identify cause of failure: power
    >supply, motherboard, or power switch.
    >
    >When the power cord is plugged in with everything else disconnected from
    >the tower, the green LED on the power supply lights. Upon depressing
    >the power button the LED turns off and does not flash. The LED will
    >turn on again if the power cord is removed for a few seconds and plugged
    >in again.
    >
    >When the power cord is plugged in with all the power cable connectors
    >from the motherboard and internal devices disconnected, the power supply
    >LED turns on and remains steady.
    >
    >I also re-seated the power switch motherboard connector. Can a
    >continuity test determine if the switch is OK? If yes what are the
    >procedures and expected results? The switch has three twisted pair
    >leads: blue-black, red-black, and yellow-black.
    >
    >Is the power supply fused?
    >

    >Any help appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Rich

  3. Re: No Power Problem

    mail@nothanks.org wrote:
    > I'm working on an HP Pavilion a614n desktop which will not power up when
    > the power button is depressed. Need to identify cause of failure: power
    > supply, motherboard, or power switch.
    >
    > When the power cord is plugged in with everything else disconnected from
    > the tower, the green LED on the power supply lights. Upon depressing
    > the power button the LED turns off and does not flash. The LED will
    > turn on again if the power cord is removed for a few seconds and plugged
    > in again.
    >
    > When the power cord is plugged in with all the power cable connectors
    > from the motherboard and internal devices disconnected, the power supply
    > LED turns on and remains steady.
    >
    > I also re-seated the power switch motherboard connector. Can a
    > continuity test determine if the switch is OK? If yes what are the
    > procedures and expected results? The switch has three twisted pair
    > leads: blue-black, red-black, and yellow-black.
    >
    > Is the power supply fused?
    >

    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rich

    Power Supply. I had one that did EXACTLY what you describe. A power
    supply replacement solved it.

  4. Re: No Power Problem

    In article ,
    mail@nothanks.org wrote:

    > I'm working on an HP Pavilion a614n desktop which will not power up when
    > the power button is depressed. Need to identify cause of failure: power
    > supply, motherboard, or power switch.
    >
    > When the power cord is plugged in with everything else disconnected from
    > the tower, the green LED on the power supply lights. Upon depressing
    > the power button the LED turns off and does not flash. The LED will
    > turn on again if the power cord is removed for a few seconds and plugged
    > in again.
    >
    > When the power cord is plugged in with all the power cable connectors
    > from the motherboard and internal devices disconnected, the power supply
    > LED turns on and remains steady.
    >
    > I also re-seated the power switch motherboard connector. Can a
    > continuity test determine if the switch is OK? If yes what are the
    > procedures and expected results? The switch has three twisted pair
    > leads: blue-black, red-black, and yellow-black.
    >
    > Is the power supply fused?
    >

    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rich

    Ben & Dan,

    Thanks for your help. You both nailed it as it was the power supply
    that was bad. Changed it out about an hour ago and everything is again
    running OK.

    Regards,

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread