HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible? - Hewlett Packard ; I own a HP Vectra VL420 with P4B-MX motherboard. As I am planning to upgrade the CPU, can anyone advise whether this motherboard supports Celeron D (compared with old Celeron, voltage ragne is mostly the same, and the main differences ...

  1. HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible?

    I own a HP Vectra VL420 with P4B-MX motherboard. As I am planning to
    upgrade the CPU, can anyone advise whether this motherboard supports
    Celeron D (compared with old Celeron, voltage ragne is mostly the same,
    and the main differences are architecture [0.13 vs 0.09 nm] and FSB).
    I prepare to run it @ 400MHz FSB.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible?

    Best to make sure that whatever Celeron D you buy runs at 400MHz FSB. A great
    many of them (all of them?) require 533MHz FSB. If the motherboard does not
    support 533MHz, the Celery D will not run at full speed. Likewise, if the
    system memory is not currently PC2700 or faster, you will need to replace the
    memory, too. All of this may argue in favor of finding an "old" Celeron, which
    tops out at around 2.8GHz... Ben Myers

    On 28 Dec 2005 02:01:41 -0800, "Square Chris" wrote:

    >I own a HP Vectra VL420 with P4B-MX motherboard. As I am planning to
    >upgrade the CPU, can anyone advise whether this motherboard supports
    >Celeron D (compared with old Celeron, voltage ragne is mostly the same,
    >and the main differences are architecture [0.13 vs 0.09 nm] and FSB).
    >I prepare to run it @ 400MHz FSB.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible?

    Let me add that it is also common to encounter BIOS issues with name-brand
    computers when installing newer processors. Best case is that the BIOS
    recognizes the processor for what it is, and everything is A-OK. Another
    possibility include incorrect recognition of processor, but system still boots
    and runs with CPU at rated speed. Last and worst possibility is that BIOS
    grinds to a halt before even displaying anything on the screen (or, a "nicer"
    implementation displays on screen) because it is designed to run only with
    certain types of processors.

    I stopped being lazy and checked the Intel web site. The following URL states
    clearly that the Celeron D processors DO NOT run at 400MHz FSB, 533MHz and up
    only... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:15:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    Myers) wrote:

    >Best to make sure that whatever Celeron D you buy runs at 400MHz FSB. A great
    >many of them (all of them?) require 533MHz FSB. If the motherboard does not
    >support 533MHz, the Celery D will not run at full speed. Likewise, if the
    >system memory is not currently PC2700 or faster, you will need to replace the
    >memory, too. All of this may argue in favor of finding an "old" Celeron, which
    >tops out at around 2.8GHz... Ben Myers
    >
    >On 28 Dec 2005 02:01:41 -0800, "Square Chris" wrote:
    >
    >>I own a HP Vectra VL420 with P4B-MX motherboard. As I am planning to
    >>upgrade the CPU, can anyone advise whether this motherboard supports
    >>Celeron D (compared with old Celeron, voltage ragne is mostly the same,
    >>and the main differences are architecture [0.13 vs 0.09 nm] and FSB).
    >>I prepare to run it @ 400MHz FSB.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.

  4. Re: HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible?

    Thanks Ben.

    As "old" Celeron (400MHz FSB) is quite difficult to be found in retail
    market, Celeron D is the only cost-effective option for upgrade. FSB
    of this board has no option but 400MHz only, so it will not run in full
    speed (e.g. Celeron D 330 2.66GHz running @ 2GHz) for sure, and the
    BIOS is not expected to be supported.

    Without BIOS support and running at slower FSB, do you think it still
    works?

    Thanks again. Chris

  5. Re: HP Vectra VL420 with Celeron D possible?

    Whether or not the Celeron D 330 works at all depends on the inner workings of
    the BIOS. IMHO, going in this direction is a total crapshoot.

    I think you would be better off finding a used old 400MHz FSB Celeron or, as
    others have suggested, a used old 400MHz FSB Pentium 4... Ben Myers

    On 28 Dec 2005 18:12:51 -0800, "Square Chris" wrote:

    >Thanks Ben.
    >
    >As "old" Celeron (400MHz FSB) is quite difficult to be found in retail
    >market, Celeron D is the only cost-effective option for upgrade. FSB
    >of this board has no option but 400MHz only, so it will not run in full
    >speed (e.g. Celeron D 330 2.66GHz running @ 2GHz) for sure, and the
    >BIOS is not expected to be supported.
    >
    >Without BIOS support and running at slower FSB, do you think it still
    >works?
    >
    >Thanks again. Chris

+ Reply to Thread