hp recovery dvd - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on hp recovery dvd - Hewlett Packard ; wrote in message news:43b010c3.3793273@nntp.charter.net... > You may think that I am whining. I am simply stating facts. People can > deal > with the facts once they have them. Keep it up Ben, I find it educating. I am whinning ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: hp recovery dvd

    wrote in message
    > You may think that I am whining. I am simply stating facts. People can
    > deal
    > with the facts once they have them.

    Keep it up Ben, I find it educating. I am whinning right along with you.
    Who knows, hp might pay attention and make our lives easier, and on top of
    it, make repeat buyers.

  2. Re: hp recovery dvd

    ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    > You've done a nice job advising people to make backups. I do the same
    > when I deal with clients locally, and manage to sell both hardware and
    > services to train people to do backups of DATA. The cost of backing
    > up an entire system including OS software and drivers is usually
    > beyond what people want to spend. So I take the approach that
    > computer owners have to treat the OS restore CD and other CDs
    > delivered with the system as valuable, keeping them safe and secure
    > until needed.
    >
    > The modern trend is to deliver computers without the necessary CDs to
    > restore a system to its original as-delivered factory state. This
    > leaves people in a quandry as to what they need to do. Best thing is
    > to ring up the manufacturer and ask for (pay for, if necessary, but
    > only a smallish amount) the CDs.
    >
    > Some people, no matter what one tells them, do not take the necessary
    > precautions to secure valuable software and data. I see many of them,
    > when someone brings in a failed computer and asks me to get it running
    > again. And, oh, yes, they threw out the CDs that came with the
    > system. Fortunately, I can find drivers for just about any computer
    > worth fixing, but companies like HP sure do not make the process easy.
    >
    > You may think that I am whining. I am simply stating facts. People
    > can deal with the facts once they have them.

    No, you're vendor-bashing for no good reason. What you describe in
    your before-last paragraph is what *you* 'need', i.e. people who fix
    systems for a living, *not* what ordinary customers/users need, because,
    as I said, 1) they shouldn't need it and 2) *when* they need it, they
    can't get it (because their system is down), don't know how to get it,
    don't know what to do with it, etc..

    If you have an issue with HP, then get it sorted, but don't imply that
    what you consider to be a problem is a problem for ordinary users.

    I'm sure that the readers of these groups can well do without your
    regular, irrelevant, misdirected, and sometimes even incorrect, vendor-
    bashing.

    Face it: If you buy a product, do you appreciate it when someone
    repeatedly bashes the vendor for no good reason?

    Normally I let your bashing pass, but this time it was really over the
    top: "HP generally does a worse than 3rd rate job of providing drivers
    on-line for its computers (Pavilions and Presarios)" is totally off the
    mark and by *no* means "simply stating facts". Your

    > I would be surprised if HP computers were any different in this regard
    > than IBM's or Dell's. If they are different, this would be yet
    > another reason not to buy an HP...

    in one of your other responses is even worse, With these "If ..." tricks
    you can imply all kind of stuff.

    > I think we are both on the same side, advocating better use of
    > computers. We just see things differently... Ben Myers

    I appreciate your technical postings and I think they are a real
    contribution to the group, but I think you largely spoil it with your
    vendor-bashing.

    > On 26 Dec 2005 11:25:40 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >
    > >ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    > >> I forgot to mention that in addition to a Windows XP Home or Pro CD,
    > >> one also needs the drivers for all the chipsets in the computer.
    > >> There is no clear bet that the required chipsets will be on an XP CD,
    > >> which was mastered back in 2001 or 2002 whilst the computer was
    > >> designed and built after.
    > >>
    > >> HP generally does a worse than 3rd rate job of providing drivers
    > >> on-line for its computers (Pavilions and Presarios), but the drivers
    > >> can be found elsewhere. If the computer has an Intel processor, then
    > >> it invariably needs Intel motherboard drivers, possibly an Intel
    > >> Extreme Graphics drivers, and usually an Intel 10/100 Pro Ethernet
    > >> driver. Modem and audio drivers are also chipset specific.
    > >>
    > >> ... Ben Myers

    > > Isn't it a tad hard to get drivers on-line when your system is down?
    > >
    > > In order to get drivers on-line (when their system is down) they need
    > >help from *other* people (with things like CD-burners).
    > >
    > > Instead of waiting for disaster to strike, these people *could* make a
    > >thing called "backup" (and *you* could advise them to do so). Then they
    > >wouldn't have these problems in the first place and you wouldn't 'have'
    > >to whine about 'missing' software all the time.

  3. Re: hp recovery dvd

    In response, let me say that if finding drivers and detailed technical
    information on the HP web site is not easy for me (40+ years of solid computer
    industry experience going back to punched cards), it is probably even more
    difficult for the typical consumer.

    As an example of this, let me point out the fairly obscure manner in which
    another poster did finally manage to find the drivers for the model owned by the
    OP. Rather than being able to find the drivers directly by searching for the
    model, the other poster needed to associate the model with the motherboard in
    the system, then eventually found the drivers as part of a list of drivers for a
    model of Compaq Presario. Sorry, but this procedure is indefensibly and
    unnecessarily complicated.

    I will retract only a part of what I stated earlier. Compaq Presario drivers
    ARE easier to find, apparently part of the Compaq legacy, of which the sensible
    customer-oriented parts have not yet been absorbed by HP.

    I will reiterate that I can find Dell, IBM/Lenovo, and Gateway drivers and
    technical information (diagrams, photos, how-to texts, COMPLETE service manuals)
    very quickly. This is not simply a matter of my familiarity with these web
    sites. The information is THERE on the web site. For a great many HP models,
    especially the consumer Pavilion models, the information is incomplete or just
    plain absent.

    The OP just stated that he called HP and was told that the restore CD or DVD
    cannot be obtained for his model of computer, only a few months old. If this is
    true, I will assert (right! not a fact, but an opinion) that this is poor
    customer service, once again compared to HP's name-brand competition.

    The quantity and quality of information on the name-brand company web site is
    important to somebody, either the consumer or someone else. If the consumer
    does not maintain the system him/herself, then the information is important to
    the service provider.

    If HP had somebody reading this newsgroup regularly over the last five or six
    years, they might already have figured out that a stronger customer orientation
    is needed. And Carly may still have a job. Yes! Another opinion by... Ben
    Myers

    On 26 Dec 2005 20:59:40 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> [...]

    >repeatedly bashes the vendor for no good reason?
    >
    > Normally I let your bashing pass, but this time it was really over the
    >top: "HP generally does a worse than 3rd rate job of providing drivers
    >on-line for its computers (Pavilions and Presarios)" is totally off the
    >mark and by *no* means "simply stating facts". Your
    >
    >> I would be surprised if HP computers were any different in this regard
    >> than IBM's or Dell's. If they are different, this would be yet
    >> another reason not to buy an HP...

    >in one of your other responses is even worse, With these "If ..." tricks
    >you can imply all kind of stuff.
    >
    >> I think we are both on the same side, advocating better use of
    >> computers. We just see things differently... Ben Myers

    > I appreciate your technical postings and I think they are a real
    >contribution to the group, but I think you largely spoil it with your

  4. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > As an example of this, let me point out the fairly obscure manner in which
    > another poster did finally manage to find the drivers for the model owned by the
    > OP. Rather than being able to find the drivers directly by searching for the
    > model, the other poster needed to associate the model with the motherboard in
    > the system, then eventually found the drivers as part of a list of drivers for a
    > model of Compaq Presario. Sorry, but this procedure is indefensibly and
    > unnecessarily complicated.

    The obscure method was based upon the following.

    1) Original driver packages have been on the HP site for at least a
    year. They correspond to each quarter's new product offerings.

    2) The same motherboard is used in many models.

    3) The model in question was recent and used an Athlon processor.

    All I had to do was look at a couple of similar recent models.

    A bit more complicated than most would like, but a lot easier than
    searching five chip vendors' sites.

    It took two or three minutes to locate the drivers.

    >The OP just stated that he called HP and was told that the restore CD
    >or DVD
    >cannot be obtained for his model of computer, only a few months old.
    >If this is
    >true, I will assert (right! not a fact, but an opinion) that this is
    >poor
    >customer service, once again compared to HP's name-brand competition.

    Did he call, or just look on the web site? Since he posted a web page
    link and used the words "I checked the hp website" I'm not sure he
    called HP. The comments on the web page may only mean that the disks are
    not available through that specific avenue.

    I've found that calling the appropriate number can be very effective.

  5. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Tell me about it. I have the same motherboard and it took an act of
    congress to find at least some beta SATA drivers for the bitch.

    One thing I found out the hard way when doing a clean installation is that
    you have to unplug your EIDE drives if installing to an SATA drive C and if
    you do not have the ATi Xpress 200 SATA drivers at the start of the
    installation you are screwed.

    Hopefully Vista will not have this headache once the retail version comes
    out.

    wrote in message
    > All???? Hardly.
    >
    > The board uses the ATI Radeon XPress 200 chipset, PCI K56flex data/fax
    > modem,
    > Realtek integrated AC97 audio, Realtek 8101L 10/100 Ethernet, Serial ATA.
    >
    > Only the RealTek AC97 audio drivers are on the HP web site.
    >
    > The K56flex data/fax modem drivers are likely on the XP install CD.
    >
    > The Realtek 8101L Ethernet drivers may or may not be on the XP install CD.
    > The
    > drivers would be there if the Realtek 10/100 chip is about 4 years old.
    >
    > For the rest, owners of Hp systems are left to scramble if they do not
    > have all
    > the CDs from HP. The ATI Radeon motherboard and graphics drivers and
    > Serial ATA
    > drivers would have to be obtained elsewhere, probably from the Asus web
    > site.
    >
    > It is not clear whether the 160GB hard drive shipped with the system is
    > older
    > ATA100/133 or SATA, because the info on the web site is typically vague.
    > And
    > this is the typical example of how HP leaves its customers empty handed
    > when it
    > comes to drivers.
    >
    > Sorry, craigm, but the facts contradict your statement... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:42:48 -0600, craigm wrote:
    >
    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>> I forgot to mention that in addition to a Windows XP Home or Pro CD, one
    >>> also
    >>> needs the drivers for all the chipsets in the computer. There is no
    >>> clear bet
    >>> that the required chipsets will be on an XP CD, which was mastered back
    >>> in 2001
    >>> or 2002 whilst the computer was designed and built after.
    >>>
    >>> HP generally does a worse than 3rd rate job of providing drivers on-line
    >>> for its
    >>> computers (Pavilions and Presarios), but the drivers can be found
    >>> elsewhere. If
    >>> the computer has an Intel processor, then it invariably needs Intel
    >>> motherboard
    >>> drivers, possibly an Intel Extreme Graphics drivers, and usually an
    >>> Intel 10/100
    >>> Pro Ethernet driver. Modem and audio drivers are also chipset specific.
    >>>
    >>> ... Ben Myers
    >>>

    >>In this case, all the drivers for the motherboard can be found on the hP
    >>site.

  6. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Very interesting and good to know. Thank you.

    wrote in message
> [...]
    > the
    > sticker, either Home or Pro.
    >
    > I would be surprised if HP computers were any different in this regard
    > than
    > IBM's or Dell's. If they are different, this would be yet another reason
    > not to
    > buy an HP... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 25 Dec 2005 08:03:15 -0800, "rjn" wrote:
    >
    >>til wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't see any way the verify the [recovery] dvds
    >>> at this time. Any ideas?

    >>Well, you could try them on a machine in a store :-)
    >>You're facing a basic connundrum of backup. If you
    >>haven't ever restored a given backup, you have to
    >>assume it won't.
    >>
    >>But in addition to the other tips people have posted,
    >>here's another: does the OEM key (if any) for the
    >>machine work with generic XP install media? If so, and
    >>if MS hasn't made XP media uncopyable, you might
    >>be able to get a clone of someone elses XP CD for
    >>use as rebuild media. This tactic did work on mid- and
    >>late-1990s PCs.
    >>
    >>> I said I would never purchase a proprietary computer,
    >>> and just purchased a pavilion a1228x.

    >>I began building my own about the same time PC makers
    >>stopped including full-install media. I have helped other
    >>people buy branded PCs, and currently use the criterion:
    >>does it also support Linux? If so, that's usually an indication
    >>that drivers for all the chips & bits inside are separately
    >>available from the recovery media/partition, and that there
    >>is at least a small chance you'll be able to upgrade at the
    >>next major OS roll. Whether or not any current HP/Compaq
    >>PCs meet my criteria, I couldn't say.
    >>
    >>When a PC doesn't also run Linux, odds are high that at
    >>least one of the components has no Linux drivers, and as
    >>often as not, that component will turn out to have been
    >>custom-made for the PC brand, and you can't even get
    >>Win drivers from the supplier that actually built it. And if
    >>it's a chip, or just a VLSI cell inside a chip (e.g. audio),
    >>you may not even be able to shut it off and replace it with
    >>a real supportable card or bussed device.
    >>
    >>> I attempt to create the recovery dvd discs today and
    >>> after finishing the first, the system says that there are
    >>> errors on it and it has to be recreated. I put another disc
    >>> in and start over. It makes the second and gives me a
    >>> message saying that no more can be created.

    >>I had thought that nonsense was abandoned in 1988. Guess not.
    >>It wasn't MS doing it at the time, so perhaps they didn't learn.
    >>It's too late to try this on your PC, but I wonder if doing an
    >>image backup of the HDD would allow one to get around
    >>the recovery-build count. Re-image the HDD after each try,
    >>and see if it resets the count to zero.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
    >>http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
    >>NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

  7. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Okay. So you KNEW which models use the same motherboard? How does the average
    bear determine this information? Is there some method where one can enter the
    motherboard manufacturer and model, and voila! the models of HP computers with
    the motherboard are revealed? This is still too obscure to me, because it
    depends on some information I do not yet know. Thanks for clarifying.
    Somewhat. Looking forward to still more info here... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:00:18 -0600, craigm wrote:

    >The obscure method was based upon the following.
    >
    >1) Original driver packages have been on the HP site for at least a
    >year. They correspond to each quarter's new product offerings.
    >
    >2) The same motherboard is used in many models.
    >
    >3) The model in question was recent and used an Athlon processor.
    >
    >All I had to do was look at a couple of similar recent models.
    >
    >A bit more complicated than most would like, but a lot easier than
    >searching five chip vendors' sites.
    >
    >It took two or three minutes to locate the drivers.

  8. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Okay. So you KNEW which models use the same motherboard? How does the average
    > bear determine this information? Is there some method where one can enter the
    > motherboard manufacturer and model, and voila! the models of HP computers with
    > the motherboard are revealed? This is still too obscure to me, because it
    > depends on some information I do not yet know. Thanks for clarifying.
    > Somewhat. Looking forward to still more info here... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:00:18 -0600, craigm wrote:
    >

    >>The obscure method was based upon the following.
    >>
    >>1) Original driver packages have been on the HP site for at least a
    >>year. They correspond to each quarter's new product offerings.
    >>
    >>2) The same motherboard is used in many models.
    >>
    >>3) The model in question was recent and used an Athlon processor.
    >>
    >>All I had to do was look at a couple of similar recent models.
    >>
    >>A bit more complicated than most would like, but a lot easier than
    >>searching five chip vendors' sites.
    >>
    >>It took two or three minutes to locate the drivers.

    I didn't know what models had the same motherboard, but it is easy to
    determine which have the same processor family. From there you just look.

    To make it simple go to www.hp.com, select drivers and, enter a1200 in
    the box. There are the PCs of the same vintage as the a1228x. Enter
    sr1600 and you get the Compaq list of similar vintage.

    From there, the motherboard information is 2 or 3 clicks away.

    > Is there some method where one can enter the
    > motherboard manufacturer and model, and voila! the models of HP
    > computers with
    > the motherboard are revealed?

    Try a search from www.hp.com for AmberineM, what do you get?

  9. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Thanks for explaining. IMHO, this is all still way too complex for the
    run-of-the-mill consumer seeking information and drivers for a system. It
    requires that the person looking for the drivers have a priori knowledge that
    the Presario SR1600 and the Pavilion A1228x are BOTH of similar vintage and use
    the same motherboard. You may know this. I sure did not, and your everyday
    consumer has no rational way to grok this relationship between Pavilion and
    Presario.

    Your second explanation has more merit, i.e. identify the motherboard model,
    search for it, and hope that a Compaq Presario model uses the same motherboard.
    If so, the Compaq Presario list of drivers shows the drivers originally shipped
    with the beast.

    But let's face it. HP could still make it a lot easier for all of us, which is
    what I keep harping on, whining about, and otherwise being a pain in the ass
    about... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:23:16 -0600, craigm wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Okay. So you KNEW which models use the same motherboard? How does the average
    >> bear determine this information? Is there some method where one can enter the
    >> motherboard manufacturer and model, and voila! the models of HP computers with
    >> the motherboard are revealed? This is still too obscure to me, because it
    >> depends on some information I do not yet know. Thanks for clarifying.
    >> Somewhat. Looking forward to still more info here... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:00:18 -0600, craigm wrote:
    >>

    >>>The obscure method was based upon the following.
    >>>
    >>>1) Original driver packages have been on the HP site for at least a
    >>>year. They correspond to each quarter's new product offerings.
    >>>
    >>>2) The same motherboard is used in many models.
    >>>
    >>>3) The model in question was recent and used an Athlon processor.
    >>>
    >>>All I had to do was look at a couple of similar recent models.
    >>>
    >>>A bit more complicated than most would like, but a lot easier than
    >>>searching five chip vendors' sites.
    >>>
    >>>It took two or three minutes to locate the drivers.
    >>>

    >I didn't know what models had the same motherboard, but it is easy to
    >determine which have the same processor family. From there you just look.
    >
    >To make it simple go to www.hp.com, select drivers and, enter a1200 in
    >the box. There are the PCs of the same vintage as the a1228x. Enter
    >sr1600 and you get the Compaq list of similar vintage.
    >
    > From there, the motherboard information is 2 or 3 clicks away.
    >
    > > Is there some method where one can enter the
    > > motherboard manufacturer and model, and voila! the models of HP
    > > computers with
    > > the motherboard are revealed?

    >Try a search from www.hp.com for AmberineM, what do you get?

  10. Re: hp recovery dvd

    > tilwrote
    I said I would never purchase a proprietary computer, and jus
    purchased a
    > pavilion a1228x. I attempt to create the recovery dvd discs toda

    and
    > after finishing the first, the system says that there are errors on

    it and
    > it has to be recreated. I put another disc in and start over. I

    makes the
    > second and gives me a message saying that no more can be created.

    Thanks
    > hp. I don't see any way the verify the dvds at this time. An

    ideas?
    > thank

    Well, you did say you said you would never purchase a proprietar
    computer. There was a reason you said that

    Why are you here whining about it now

  11. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Thanks for explaining. IMHO, this is all still way too complex for the
    > run-of-the-mill consumer seeking information and drivers for a system. It
    > requires that the person looking for the drivers have a priori knowledge that
    > the Presario SR1600 and the Pavilion A1228x are BOTH of similar vintage and use
    > the same motherboard. You may know this. I sure did not, and your everyday
    > consumer has no rational way to grok this relationship between Pavilion and
    > Presario.
    >
    > Your second explanation has more merit, i.e. identify the motherboard model,
    > search for it, and hope that a Compaq Presario model uses the same motherboard.
    > If so, the Compaq Presario list of drivers shows the drivers originally shipped
    > with the beast.

    It isn't a Pavilion vs. Presario issue. You can find the full set of
    drivers on the Pavilions also. I just happened to choose a Presario for
    my original example.

    > But let's face it. HP could still make it a lot easier for all of us, which is
    > what I keep harping on, whining about, and otherwise being a pain in the ass
    > about... Ben Myers

    You can keep whining, that choice is yours. But it would be better if
    your whining reflected reality rather than your misconceptions.

    Your posts provide others with useful information. Your frequent
    whining, however, does not contribute anything positive to the discussions.

    Yes, the HP site could be better. As it stands, it probably meets the
    needs of most of the users.

  12. Re: hp recovery dvd

    I'll continue to keep whining, because I think it may have some sort of positive
    effect on how HP deals with its consumer customers. (Corporate and enterprise
    customers are a different breed, and rarely frequent this newsgroup.) The fact
    that the drivers for newer Pavilions can somehow be found on the HP web site is
    a reflection that some message from some whining personage got through to
    somebody at HP. Now go and try to find drivers for a 5-year-old Pavilion.
    Odds are pretty good there won't be any... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:22:24 -0600, craigm wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Thanks for explaining. IMHO, this is all still way too complex for the
    >> run-of-the-mill consumer seeking information and drivers for a system. It
    >> requires that the person looking for the drivers have a priori knowledge that
    >> the Presario SR1600 and the Pavilion A1228x are BOTH of similar vintage and use
    >> the same motherboard. You may know this. I sure did not, and your everyday
    >> consumer has no rational way to grok this relationship between Pavilion and
    >> Presario.
    >>
    >> Your second explanation has more merit, i.e. identify the motherboard model,
    >> search for it, and hope that a Compaq Presario model uses the same motherboard.
    >> If so, the Compaq Presario list of drivers shows the drivers originally shipped
    >> with the beast.
    >>

    >It isn't a Pavilion vs. Presario issue. You can find the full set of
    >drivers on the Pavilions also. I just happened to choose a Presario for
    >my original example.
    >

    >> But let's face it. HP could still make it a lot easier for all of us, which is
    >> what I keep harping on, whining about, and otherwise being a pain in the ass
    >> about... Ben Myers
    >>

    >You can keep whining, that choice is yours. But it would be better if
    >your whining reflected reality rather than your misconceptions.
    >
    >Your posts provide others with useful information. Your frequent
    >whining, however, does not contribute anything positive to the discussions.
    >
    >Yes, the HP site could be better. As it stands, it probably meets the
    >needs of most of the users.

  13. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Frank Slootweg wrote:

    > As another poster also said, as far as we know the OP did *not* call
    > HP, but only visit HP's website. The OP's system was equipped to make a
    > recovery DVD and he *made* one. His *problem* is that he does not know
    > how to verify it. Has anybody tried to help him with *that*? No! But a
    > lot of talk about non-relevant stuff like 'missing' drivers on websites.

    To verify the DVD, you need to use it. If the OP has a spare HDD, then
    he can connect it to the computer (and disconnect the original) and do a
    restore.

    If it works, then the DVD is good.

  14. Re: hp recovery dvd

    craigm wrote:
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > >
    > > As another poster also said, as far as we know the OP did *not* call
    > > HP, but only visit HP's website. The OP's system was equipped to make a
    > > recovery DVD and he *made* one. His *problem* is that he does not know
    > > how to verify it. Has anybody tried to help him with *that*? No! But a
    > > lot of talk about non-relevant stuff like 'missing' drivers on websites.

    > To verify the DVD, you need to use it. If the OP has a spare HDD, then
    > he can connect it to the computer (and disconnect the original) and do a
    > restore.
    >
    > If it works, then the DVD is good.

    As Bob said: It *was* good! :-)

    But seriosly, it would be nice if someone with experience in this area
    could give some advice as how to 'verify' it on the original system
    (because most people don't have a spare HDD). I.e. check that files X, Y
    and Z are on there, read-verify the whole disk, boot the disk till step
    X, so you know it's bootable, etc..

  15. Re: hp recovery dvd

    "dannysdailys" wrote in message
    news:Atasf.340901$6T2.108859@fe01.news.easynews.co m...
    > Well, you did say you said you would never purchase a proprietary
    > computer. There was a reason you said that.
    >
    > Why are you here whining about it now?

    Just trying to get a little help. I said that because I was already feeling
    I had made a mistake.
    This will be the last.

  16. Re: hp recovery dvd

    On 27 Dec 2005 19:28:26 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

    I do not restrain myself when I regularly bash Micro$oft... Ben Myers

  17. Re: hp recovery dvd

    ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    > On 27 Dec 2005 19:28:26 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >

    > I do not restrain myself when I regularly bash Micro$oft... Ben Myers

    Again you're not commenting to what was written. I didn't say you
    didn't bash Microsoft, I said that you bash HP when instead you should
    bash Microsoft.

    Anyway, since you again dodged all the issues, there's really no point
    in continuing this non-discussion.

  18. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Is this news group called comp.sys.hp.hardware or is it comp.sys.master.debater
    ???

    On 28 Dec 2005 18:54:01 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    >> On 27 Dec 2005 19:28:26 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >>

    >> I do not restrain myself when I regularly bash Micro$oft... Ben Myers

    > Again you're not commenting to what was written. I didn't say you
    >didn't bash Microsoft, I said that you bash HP when instead you should
    >bash Microsoft.
    >
    > Anyway, since you again dodged all the issues, there's really no point
    >in continuing this non-discussion.

  19. Re: hp recovery dvd

    Frank Slootweg wrote: >

    > ... it would be nice if someone with experience in this
    > area could give some advice as how to 'verify' it on
    > the original system ...

    No advice there, but yet another caution. Even if you
    validate with a restore to an identical spare HDD, you
    may have trouble when the day comes that you need
    the Recovery DVD - because you've changed/upgraded
    hardware.

    Given Mr.Bill's increasing paranoia, I wouldn't be
    surprised if some changes (i.e. motherboard replacement
    with "similar" model after lightning strike) are fatal -
    the Recovery media refuses to install, or the system
    won't boot after recovery.

    Without a lot of work, and perhaps some expense,
    branded desktops PCs need to be treated as disposable.

    Of course, everyone knows that this has always
    applied to ANY laptop. I'll be selling [another]one for
    parts on eBay shortly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2