Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have a 2+ yr old DL380/G2 server with a RAID5 array consisting of (5) 36gb drives. I purchased a 6th drive so that I can expand the array. I popped the drive in, and it's recognized by the ...

  1. Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion

    Hi,

    I have a 2+ yr old DL380/G2 server with a RAID5 array consisting of (5)
    36gb drives. I purchased a 6th drive so that I can expand the array. I
    popped the drive in, and it's recognized by the server and the HP Array
    Manager Software (v7.40.8.0). I ran through the Expand array wizard. When I
    clicked on the last button to save the config to the RAID adapter, the red
    X lit up on all (6) drives and the server hung! I had to power cycle the
    server. It came back up OK, but without the change to the configuration.
    The server has the latest available firmware. Can anyone explain why this
    is happening?

    Thanks.

    John

  2. Re: Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion

    "John" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 2+ yr old DL380/G2 server with a RAID5 array consisting of (5)
    > 36gb drives. I purchased a 6th drive so that I can expand the array. I
    > popped the drive in, and it's recognized by the server and the HP Array
    > Manager Software (v7.40.8.0). I ran through the Expand array wizard. When
    > clicked on the last button to save the config to the RAID adapter, the red
    > X lit up on all (6) drives and the server hung! I had to power cycle the
    > server. It came back up OK, but without the change to the configuration.
    > The server has the latest available firmware. Can anyone explain why this
    > is happening?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    John;

    How is the array configured with 5 drives? Is there one or two partitions?
    Where is the operating system?

    Doug

  3. Re: Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:07:07 GMT, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:

    > "John" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a 2+ yr old DL380/G2 server with a RAID5 array consisting of (5)
    >> 36gb drives. I purchased a 6th drive so that I can expand the array. I
    >> popped the drive in, and it's recognized by the server and the HP Array
    >> Manager Software (v7.40.8.0). I ran through the Expand array wizard. When
    >> clicked on the last button to save the config to the RAID adapter, the red
    >> X lit up on all (6) drives and the server hung! I had to power cycle the
    >> server. It came back up OK, but without the change to the configuration.
    >> The server has the latest available firmware. Can anyone explain why this
    >> is happening?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> John

    > John;
    >
    > How is the array configured with 5 drives? Is there one or two partitions?
    > Where is the operating system?
    >
    > Doug

    Hi Doug,

    3 partitions. windows 2000 Server/SP4.

    I tried it again on Friday evening, and this time it appears to be working,
    without locking up. However, it's taking *forever* to actually expand. It's
    been running since Friday evening ('round 5pm) (currently around 8:30
    sunday) and it's only about 50% complete. I certainly didn't expect it to
    take this long, although at this point, I have little choice except to let
    let continue.

    John

  4. Re: Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion

    "John" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:07:07 GMT, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:
    >
    >> "John" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a 2+ yr old DL380/G2 server with a RAID5 array consisting of (5)
    >>> 36gb drives. I purchased a 6th drive so that I can expand the array. I
    >>> popped the drive in, and it's recognized by the server and the HP Array
    >>> Manager Software (v7.40.8.0). I ran through the Expand array wizard.
    >>> When
    >>> clicked on the last button to save the config to the RAID adapter, the
    >>> red
    >>> X lit up on all (6) drives and the server hung! I had to power cycle the
    >>> server. It came back up OK, but without the change to the configuration.
    >>> The server has the latest available firmware. Can anyone explain why
    >>> this
    >>> is happening?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> John;
    >>
    >> How is the array configured with 5 drives? Is there one or two
    >> partitions?
    >> Where is the operating system?
    >>
    >> Doug

    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > 3 partitions. windows 2000 Server/SP4.
    >
    > I tried it again on Friday evening, and this time it appears to be
    > working,
    > without locking up. However, it's taking *forever* to actually expand.
    > It's
    > been running since Friday evening ('round 5pm) (currently around 8:30
    > sunday) and it's only about 50% complete. I certainly didn't expect it to
    > take this long, although at this point, I have little choice except to let
    > let continue.
    >
    > John

    I would only use a maximum of 4 disks for raid 5 and configure the other(s)
    as hot spare(s).
    The other two can be configured as Raid 1.
    I would configure the extra drives as hot spares then if a disk fails it
    will rebuild itself onto the hot spare and when the failed disk is replaced
    the system will again rebuild itself to reinstate the original hot spare.

    By adding extra disks in a Raid 5 configuration you get a slight increase in
    storage but a great decrease in the read / write access times.

  5. Re: Proliant DL380/G2 - RAID Expansion

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:51:37 GMT, Eric H wrote:

    > "John" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:07:07 GMT, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:
    >>
    >>> "John" wrote in message

    >>> John;
    >>>
    >>> How is the array configured with 5 drives? Is there one or two
    >>> partitions?
    >>> Where is the operating system?
    >>>
    >>> Doug

    >> Hi Doug,
    >>
    >> 3 partitions. windows 2000 Server/SP4.
    >>
    >> I tried it again on Friday evening, and this time it appears to be
    >> working,
    >> without locking up. However, it's taking *forever* to actually expand.
    >> It's
    >> been running since Friday evening ('round 5pm) (currently around 8:30
    >> sunday) and it's only about 50% complete. I certainly didn't expect it to
    >> take this long, although at this point, I have little choice except to let
    >> let continue.
    >>
    >> John

    > I would only use a maximum of 4 disks for raid 5 and configure the other(s)
    > as hot spare(s).
    > The other two can be configured as Raid 1.
    > I would configure the extra drives as hot spares then if a disk fails it
    > will rebuild itself onto the hot spare and when the failed disk is replaced
    > the system will again rebuild itself to reinstate the original hot spare.
    >
    > By adding extra disks in a Raid 5 configuration you get a slight increase in
    > storage but a great decrease in the read / write access times.

    Hi Eric,

    Well, If I was replacing the server, I'd set it up with a pair of mirrored
    drives for the O/S and the other 4 (3 + hot spare) for the data. But, I'm
    not replacing the server and I don't have the budget to replace all / 4 of
    the 36gb drives with 72gb drives, so I have no choice but to add the 6th
    drive. Next year I'm going to evaluate our storage issues (other servers
    are running out of space also (SQL/Exchange) so I'm thinking that the long
    term solution is a SAN to consolidate storage and allow me to migrate to a
    disk-disk-tape backup scheme. But that won't be doable until '07.

    John

+ Reply to Thread