Compaq laptop problem Presario 1220 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Compaq laptop problem Presario 1220 - Hewlett Packard ; For some reason I can't get the PC card slot to work at all. I just got the laptop used and it's in great shape with 144MB RAM and Cyrix CPU but anything I put in the card slot is ...

  1. Compaq laptop problem Presario 1220

    For some reason I can't get the PC card slot to work at all. I just
    got the laptop used and it's in great shape with 144MB RAM and Cyrix
    CPU but anything I put in the card slot is not detected at all. I've
    tried an USB card, a wireless 802.11b card, and a 10base network card.
    The only thing I could think of is that the laptop has regular Win 98,
    not se so maybe that's the problem?

    The PCMCIA does show up in System hardware profile and there's an
    option in Control Panel, it's simply not detecting the card at all.

    If the PCMCIA slot is dead, is there a way to network the laptop?
    It'll be mostly used as a "side" computer to my desktop for checking
    web sites while playing online game. Not likely to get used much off
    the desk at all.

    Also how do I enter the BIOS?

    TIA
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

  2. Re: Compaq laptop problem Presario 1220

    Are any of these PCMCIA cards detected by Windows when inserted? If so, this is
    probably a software driver issue. If not, the PCMCIA slot may well be dead.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:32:04 -0500, Impmon wrote:

    >For some reason I can't get the PC card slot to work at all. I just
    >got the laptop used and it's in great shape with 144MB RAM and Cyrix
    >CPU but anything I put in the card slot is not detected at all. I've
    >tried an USB card, a wireless 802.11b card, and a 10base network card.
    >The only thing I could think of is that the laptop has regular Win 98,
    >not se so maybe that's the problem?
    >
    >The PCMCIA does show up in System hardware profile and there's an
    >option in Control Panel, it's simply not detecting the card at all.
    >
    >If the PCMCIA slot is dead, is there a way to network the laptop?
    >It'll be mostly used as a "side" computer to my desktop for checking
    >web sites while playing online game. Not likely to get used much off
    >the desk at all.
    >
    >Also how do I enter the BIOS?
    >
    >TIA
    >--
    >When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
    >too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
    >Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

+ Reply to Thread