USB Support on Mandrake Linux Vectra XA/XM PCs. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on USB Support on Mandrake Linux Vectra XA/XM PCs. - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I have two HP PCs and each is running the Mandrake Linux 10.0 (kernel 2.6.3-7mdk) OS. One PC is a Vectra XA5/166DT, the other is a Vectra XM Series 4 5/166. They both have 166 MHz CPUs and over ...

  1. USB Support on Mandrake Linux Vectra XA/XM PCs.

    Hi,

    I have two HP PCs and each is running the Mandrake Linux 10.0 (kernel
    2.6.3-7mdk) OS. One PC is a Vectra XA5/166DT, the other is a Vectra XM
    Series 4 5/166. They both have 166 MHz CPUs and over 90 MB of RAM available
    to them. Everything works very well indeed except for one thing: the USB
    ports.

    I have plugged one of my USB webcams into these machines (seperately) but
    nothing has happened. When I have plugged this camera into my main PC (not
    a HP one and much more up to date), running exactly the same OS, I have got
    two little beeps from the camera, it's little red light has lit up and the
    digital display has started working. Then, using the application 'Gqcam' (a
    webcam viewer), I have had displayed the live picture stream; no problems.
    Also, when I boot up my main PC with the camera connected, I get two lots
    of these beeps, one lot during the BIOS's POST, then as the OS loads the
    USB interface drivers. But none of this happens with either of my HP PCs.
    There can't be any power coming from the USB ports. Do I need to enable
    something in the BIOS's set-up screen? I am sure I've not seen anything
    relevant there, but I may be wrong. And/or do I need BIOS USB drivers from
    HP? I've only come accross Win32 ones on HP's US website but I only run
    Linux (although I have installed Windows 98 on the Vectra XA, it doesn't
    load fully).

    Please help.

    Yours,
    Gary Hayward.

  2. Re: USB Support on Mandrake Linux Vectra XA/XM PCs.

    The old 166MHz Vectras have equally old USB 1.0 hardware, the very earliest and
    first USB. It's very likely that a USB webcam requires a newer version of USB
    to work properly. The chipsets used in the Vectras are very much standard, so
    there would not be any HP-specific USB drivers required.

    I think that you have two options:

    1. Replace a Vectra with something more modern if you want to attach a USB
    webcam. I would suggest a system with a 100MHz front side bus, at minimum.
    This would be either a motherboard with an Intel 440BX, 810, or 815 chipset or a
    motherboard with some sort of chipset that supports the faster AMD processors.

    2. Buy a PCI card with USB 2.0 ports and Linux compatibility.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:39:11 GMT, Gazza wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have two HP PCs and each is running the Mandrake Linux 10.0 (kernel
    >2.6.3-7mdk) OS. One PC is a Vectra XA5/166DT, the other is a Vectra XM
    >Series 4 5/166. They both have 166 MHz CPUs and over 90 MB of RAM available
    >to them. Everything works very well indeed except for one thing: the USB
    >ports.
    >
    >I have plugged one of my USB webcams into these machines (seperately) but
    >nothing has happened. When I have plugged this camera into my main PC (not
    >a HP one and much more up to date), running exactly the same OS, I have got
    >two little beeps from the camera, it's little red light has lit up and the
    >digital display has started working. Then, using the application 'Gqcam' (a
    >webcam viewer), I have had displayed the live picture stream; no problems.
    >Also, when I boot up my main PC with the camera connected, I get two lots
    >of these beeps, one lot during the BIOS's POST, then as the OS loads the
    >USB interface drivers. But none of this happens with either of my HP PCs.
    >There can't be any power coming from the USB ports. Do I need to enable
    >something in the BIOS's set-up screen? I am sure I've not seen anything
    >relevant there, but I may be wrong. And/or do I need BIOS USB drivers from
    >HP? I've only come accross Win32 ones on HP's US website but I only run
    >Linux (although I have installed Windows 98 on the Vectra XA, it doesn't
    >load fully).
    >
    >Please help.
    >
    >Yours,
    >Gary Hayward.