Memory upgrade question. - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Memory upgrade question. - Hewlett Packard ; I have an HP Pavilion 6540C computer that I want to upgrade the memory to 256MB. I know that it has two slots for memory sticks and that the maximum memory that it can have is 256MB. My question is, ...

  1. Memory upgrade question.

    I have an HP Pavilion 6540C computer that I want to upgrade the memory to
    256MB. I know that it has two slots for memory sticks and that the maximum
    memory that it can have is 256MB. My question is, do I have to use two
    128MB sticks or can I use one 256MB stick and leave one slot empty? Thanks
    for any information on this question.

  2. Re: Memory upgrade question.

    Fred wrote:
    > I have an HP Pavilion 6540C computer that I want to upgrade the memory to
    > 256MB. I know that it has two slots for memory sticks and that the maximum
    > memory that it can have is 256MB. My question is, do I have to use two
    > 128MB sticks or can I use one 256MB stick and leave one slot empty? Thanks
    > for any information on this question.

    One 256 will work fine provided you get the right type of RAM. I believe
    that your computer uses PC100 RAM. If you get PC100 you should not have
    any problems. If you get PC133, you may end up with double density RAM
    and your BIOS will only read 1/2 of the installed RAM i.e., a 256 will
    only show as 128.

+ Reply to Thread