power supply - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on power supply - Hewlett Packard ; We ordered a new power supply for my mom's computer. The one that we ordered has dual fans on it, so it will not fit in the case. We don't need any extra cooling, would it be possible to remove ...

  1. power supply

    We ordered a new power supply for my mom's computer. The one that we ordered
    has dual fans on it, so it will not fit in the case. We don't need any extra
    cooling, would it be possible to remove the external fan from the power
    supply? It would fit without the external fan. I could send it back, but New
    Egg charges a restocking fee, and I am not sure if they have the exact power
    supply that she needs.

    She has an HP a410n computer. We ordered the PSU ROSEWILL RV300 RETAIL -
    Retail power supply. The original OEM power supply is a Bestec ATX-250-12Z
    REV d. HP part number 5187-1098.

    Thansk for any help.

    Pam

    --
    Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

    Stress is when you wake up screaming and realize you haven't fallen asleep
    yet.
    "Last night fear knocked on my door, faith answered and no one was there"

    Get
    Firefox!

  2. Re: power supply

    Iffy. If you remove the extra fan, it might work in the winter when
    your house is cool but it may cook itself in the summer. It could be
    that the power supply needs the extra fan to cool itself, let alone
    assist in keeping the PC cool. I wouldn't risk it. If you decide to do
    it anway though, install another fan someplace else in the computer,
    such as a slot cooler.

    Sorry for the bad news.

  3. Re: power supply

    Agree. That external fan is there for some functional reason, not for good
    looks... Ben Myers

    On 21 Dec 2005 15:22:10 -0800, tylernt@gmail.com wrote:

    >Iffy. If you remove the extra fan, it might work in the winter when
    >your house is cool but it may cook itself in the summer. It could be
    >that the power supply needs the extra fan to cool itself, let alone
    >assist in keeping the PC cool. I wouldn't risk it. If you decide to do
    >it anway though, install another fan someplace else in the computer,
    >such as a slot cooler.
    >
    >Sorry for the bad news.

+ Reply to Thread