Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro - Hewlett Packard ; I just bought an HP pavillion a1250n multimedia pc. I didn't really want the XP media center OS but wanted to try out the Athlon 64 X2 processor and the price seemed pretty good. So, I went home and popped ...

  1. Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    I just bought an HP pavillion a1250n multimedia pc. I didn't really
    want the XP media center OS but wanted to try out the Athlon 64 X2
    processor and the price seemed pretty good. So, I went home and popped
    in my XP Pro install media and began the process. The install media
    booted like normal. It came to the partition table and I deleted the
    existing partition, created a new one, formatted it and told it to
    install XP there. It made it to the point where it would normally
    reboot from the hard drive and continue with setup. After the reboot,
    the screen just goes blank and nothing happened. Called HP and they
    said they don't support upgrading the OS and that, in fact, it voids
    the warranty. Nice. Then, of course, the line went silent...

    The system has an on-board video chipset so I thought maybe it was
    video drivers or something weird there. I found an old pci video card,
    plugged it in and got the same behavior. I've done this lots of times
    and never had a problem with other systems. Anyone else out there
    tried this yet?

  2. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    kgo wrote:
    > I just bought an HP pavillion a1250n multimedia pc. I didn't really
    > want the XP media center OS but wanted to try out the Athlon 64 X2
    > processor and the price seemed pretty good. So, I went home and popped
    > in my XP Pro install media and began the process. The install media
    > booted like normal. It came to the partition table and I deleted the
    > existing partition, created a new one, formatted it and told it to
    > install XP there. It made it to the point where it would normally
    > reboot from the hard drive and continue with setup. After the reboot,
    > the screen just goes blank and nothing happened. Called HP and they
    > said they don't support upgrading the OS and that, in fact, it voids
    > the warranty. Nice. Then, of course, the line went silent...
    >
    > The system has an on-board video chipset so I thought maybe it was
    > video drivers or something weird there. I found an old pci video card,
    > plugged it in and got the same behavior. I've done this lots of times
    > and never had a problem with other systems. Anyone else out there
    > tried this yet?

    First of all, the drivers for your on-board card are gone. If
    you are going to install the PCI graphics card, you must boot
    into BIOS and select the Advanced tab. There you should see a
    Primary Video option. Make sure you select PCI rather than
    Onboard. If the PCI card has the smarts, you should be able to
    boot as normal. If you get to that point, you should be able to
    install new drivers for the onboard or disable it and carry on
    with the PCI card.

    I know mine may be a little different but that's how I got it to
    work with my NVIDIA. Hp are real piss-asses when it comes to
    helping with anything outside what they provide. They're not
    all that damn good at supporting their own stuff either. When I
    called regarding my new PCI card, they told me I couldn't do it.

    "One of the major problems of time travel is... one of grammer."

  3. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    HP has somewhat consistently followed a policy of providing support for exactly
    the hardware and software as delivered from the "factory", er, the computer
    assembly facility. No support at all for other operating systems, 3rd party
    hardware upgrades or software other than what was delivered with the computer
    initially. When you think about, this kind of support says HP does not want to
    be bothered by customers. When I worked for a big iron computer company many
    years ago, we used to say "Don't confuse selling with installing", as a jab
    against the salesmen who would make all kinds of promises which we techno-types
    had to deliver. HP (and other name brand companies) have all added a new
    meaning to this phrase in the new millenium of computing... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:00:14 -0330, Gargravarr wrote:

    >kgo wrote:
    >> I just bought an HP pavillion a1250n multimedia pc. I didn't really
    >> want the XP media center OS but wanted to try out the Athlon 64 X2
    >> processor and the price seemed pretty good. So, I went home and popped
    >> in my XP Pro install media and began the process. The install media
    >> booted like normal. It came to the partition table and I deleted the
    >> existing partition, created a new one, formatted it and told it to
    >> install XP there. It made it to the point where it would normally
    >> reboot from the hard drive and continue with setup. After the reboot,
    >> the screen just goes blank and nothing happened. Called HP and they
    >> said they don't support upgrading the OS and that, in fact, it voids
    >> the warranty. Nice. Then, of course, the line went silent...
    >>
    >> The system has an on-board video chipset so I thought maybe it was
    >> video drivers or something weird there. I found an old pci video card,
    >> plugged it in and got the same behavior. I've done this lots of times
    >> and never had a problem with other systems. Anyone else out there
    >> tried this yet?
    >>

    >First of all, the drivers for your on-board card are gone. If
    >you are going to install the PCI graphics card, you must boot
    >into BIOS and select the Advanced tab. There you should see a
    >Primary Video option. Make sure you select PCI rather than
    >Onboard. If the PCI card has the smarts, you should be able to
    >boot as normal. If you get to that point, you should be able to
    >install new drivers for the onboard or disable it and carry on
    >with the PCI card.
    >
    >I know mine may be a little different but that's how I got it to
    >work with my NVIDIA. Hp are real piss-asses when it comes to
    >helping with anything outside what they provide. They're not
    >all that damn good at supporting their own stuff either. When I
    >called regarding my new PCI card, they told me I couldn't do it.
    >
    >--

    >"One of the major problems of time travel is... one of grammer."

  4. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Did you ever get past this issue? I am encountering the same problem and am
    currently stumped as to what might cause this to occur.

    Thanks,
    -BKuhl

    "kgo" wrote in message
    news:1134750460.320116.141950@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >I just bought an HP pavillion a1250n multimedia pc. I didn't really
    > want the XP media center OS but wanted to try out the Athlon 64 X2
    > processor and the price seemed pretty good. So, I went home and popped
    > in my XP Pro install media and began the process. The install media
    > booted like normal. It came to the partition table and I deleted the
    > existing partition, created a new one, formatted it and told it to
    > install XP there. It made it to the point where it would normally
    > reboot from the hard drive and continue with setup. After the reboot,
    > the screen just goes blank and nothing happened. Called HP and they
    > said they don't support upgrading the OS and that, in fact, it voids
    > the warranty. Nice. Then, of course, the line went silent...
    >
    > The system has an on-board video chipset so I thought maybe it was
    > video drivers or something weird there. I found an old pci video card,
    > plugged it in and got the same behavior. I've done this lots of times
    > and never had a problem with other systems. Anyone else out there
    > tried this yet?

  5. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Thanks for all the replies.

    In regards to the video card, I was just trying that thinking that it
    might get me around a driver issue with the on-board (or integrated)
    video chip set. I found an article saying that this is a new chipset
    that was created with the Athlon 64 x2 in mind and I thought that maybe
    the problem was that the win xp pro setup program just couldn't
    communicate with this new chipset. Of course, that doesn't seem to
    address the fact that everything appeared to be working fine for the
    boot from CD. It was only when the setup program has enough stuff over
    on the hard drive that it wants to boot from there to continue the
    setup process that the problems occurred. I just know that I've
    installed Win XP Pro on a system with that pci card in it so I know
    that if it were a driver problem, this card should work. I did go into
    the setup menu and tell it to use the PCI slot but that didn't make any
    difference.

    As far as getting past the issue. No, I haven't made much progress. I
    have some Christmas DVDs of my children that I need to make so I was
    going to reinstall Media Edition just to get that done so I really
    haven't looked into the problem much more--but I will because I really
    need XP pro in the end.

    On another (sad) note. The system wasn't shipped with a set of
    reinstall media. It had a recovery partition and apparently had some
    software that allowed you to make your own recovery disks. Sadly, I
    didn't see this in the little bit of documentation I looked at. I
    should have made the disks but I knew that I wasn't planning to use XP
    ME and I've done many XP Pro installs so I happly blew away all the
    partitions on the hard drive and began the reinstall. When everything
    went south, I called HP and got the bad news and had to listen to "you
    should have..." sermons before I could pay $23.00 for them to send me
    the reinstall media. I got the media yesterday. There were two DVDs.
    It took 2+ hours to go through the two disks. I was then prompted for
    a "Supplemental Recovery" disk--which I didn't have, didn't know what
    it was. The little pamphlet that I got with the disks said that I
    might be prompted for the Supplemental disk(though it didn't say what
    it was). I used the online chat to ask an HP tech about it. After
    lots of questions that convinced me that I was not going to get an
    answer, his advice was to re-run the two disks I had. I said I wasn't
    going to do that because there didn't seem to be anything wrong with
    the disks I had but that I seemed to be missing a disk that the missing
    disk was referred to in the instructions and now 45mins into this
    discussion you still haven't told me what this disk is. After about 5
    more minutes he asked for my address and s/n and p/n of the system.
    They are going to ship me a new set of CDs. I'm not convinced that
    this set will work either but I'm hoping that someone just forgot to
    put the missing disk into the shipping box. We'll see.

    So, if anyone runs into this problem and finds a way around it please
    post it here. I will do the same and thanks.

  6. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    I got fed up that I could not install either XP Pro or Linux on it
    successfully so I finally returned it for credit. I could have spent more
    time troubleshooting Linux, but I had no more patience....

    One thing I thought of on the way to the store though was that maybe the
    media reader is causing a problem. I noticed that they showed up when
    picking the install partition. Could they be changing the drive order on
    reboot causing it to loose the XP partition? If you feel lucky, try
    installing with the media reader disconnected and see if it goes any better.

    I'm curious if you find a way to install Pro. I basically could not use the
    machine without XP Pro because of my home network, so I decided to move
    on....

    -BKuhl

    "kgo" wrote in message
    news:1134935374.953778.128550@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> [...]
    > it was). I used the online chat to ask an HP tech about it. After
    > lots of questions that convinced me that I was not going to get an
    > answer, his advice was to re-run the two disks I had. I said I wasn't
    > going to do that because there didn't seem to be anything wrong with
    > the disks I had but that I seemed to be missing a disk that the missing
    > disk was referred to in the instructions and now 45mins into this
    > discussion you still haven't told me what this disk is. After about 5
    > more minutes he asked for my address and s/n and p/n of the system.
    > They are going to ship me a new set of CDs. I'm not convinced that
    > this set will work either but I'm hoping that someone just forgot to
    > put the missing disk into the shipping box. We'll see.
    >
    > So, if anyone runs into this problem and finds a way around it please
    > post it here. I will do the same and thanks.

  7. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    The only clue I can offer is that neither XP Home nor XP Pro provide drivers on
    the install CD for SATA drives. To install either on a system with a SATA
    drive, you need to have a driver disk to insert when the XP install asks very
    early on whether there are drivers to be added. You need to look at the same
    potential problem with a Gateway box, too... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:15:16 -0500, "Brad Kuhl" wrote:

> [...]
    >> it was). I used the online chat to ask an HP tech about it. After
    >> lots of questions that convinced me that I was not going to get an
    >> answer, his advice was to re-run the two disks I had. I said I wasn't
    >> going to do that because there didn't seem to be anything wrong with
    >> the disks I had but that I seemed to be missing a disk that the missing
    >> disk was referred to in the instructions and now 45mins into this
    >> discussion you still haven't told me what this disk is. After about 5
    >> more minutes he asked for my address and s/n and p/n of the system.
    >> They are going to ship me a new set of CDs. I'm not convinced that
    >> this set will work either but I'm hoping that someone just forgot to
    >> put the missing disk into the shipping box. We'll see.
    >>
    >> So, if anyone runs into this problem and finds a way around it please
    >> post it here. I will do the same and thanks.

  8. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    The SATA drive thing seems like a possibility because when I was in the
    'fdisk' mode of partioning/formatting, during setup, I noticed that the
    drive size it reported was wrong. That might be the issue. If I can
    find time to make the drivers disk, I might give it a try while I'm
    waiting for the next set of restore media. Thanks again. I'll report
    back the results.

  9. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Well, thats an interesting point. Although if the issue was the SATA driver
    we would not have seen the drive at all to partitiion. If I remember
    correctly, the drive was showing with a size of ~130 GB, which I think is
    tied to older BIOS limitations.

    If this was the case you would have needed to hit F6 during the initial XP
    load screen to install the SATA driver. Only then would you see the drive
    when you reached the partition screen...

    -BKuhl

    "kgo" wrote in message
    news:1135000893.424321.126400@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > The SATA drive thing seems like a possibility because when I was in the
    > 'fdisk' mode of partioning/formatting, during setup, I noticed that the
    > drive size it reported was wrong. That might be the issue. If I can
    > find time to make the drivers disk, I might give it a try while I'm
    > waiting for the next set of restore media. Thanks again. I'll report
    > back the results.

  10. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    kgo wrote:
    > The SATA drive thing seems like a possibility because when I was in the
    > 'fdisk' mode of partioning/formatting, during setup, I noticed that the
    > drive size it reported was wrong. That might be the issue. If I can
    > find time to make the drivers disk, I might give it a try while I'm
    > waiting for the next set of restore media. Thanks again. I'll report
    > back the results.

    Don't understand why you want to dump media center - it is XP Pro with
    the media center add-ons.

  11. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Another way of looking at it is XP Home with media center add-ons. Or yet
    another, is XP Pro without all the pesky network features.

    Since I have a multiple machine domain, I need XP Pro so that I can share
    resources. This will be the wife's workstation and she needs to be able to
    get to files on my other workstations. I could create NET USE scripts to
    get to the other workstations, but that is a kludge in my opinion....

    -BKuhl

    "JM" wrote in message
    news:hPudndO14JCoVjvenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > kgo wrote:
    >> The SATA drive thing seems like a possibility because when I was in the
    >> 'fdisk' mode of partioning/formatting, during setup, I noticed that the
    >> drive size it reported was wrong. That might be the issue. If I can
    >> find time to make the drivers disk, I might give it a try while I'm
    >> waiting for the next set of restore media. Thanks again. I'll report
    >> back the results.
    >>

    > Don't understand why you want to dump media center - it is XP Pro with the
    > media center add-ons.

  12. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Brad Kuhl wrote:
    > Another way of looking at it is XP Home with media center add-ons. Or yet
    > another, is XP Pro without all the pesky network features.
    >
    > Since I have a multiple machine domain, I need XP Pro so that I can share
    > resources. This will be the wife's workstation and she needs to be able to
    > get to files on my other workstations. I could create NET USE scripts to
    > get to the other workstations, but that is a kludge in my opinion....
    >
    > -BKuhl
    >

    > "JM" wrote in message
    > news:hPudndO14JCoVjvenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >
    >>kgo wrote:
    >>
    >>>The SATA drive thing seems like a possibility because when I was in the
    >>>'fdisk' mode of partioning/formatting, during setup, I noticed that the
    >>>drive size it reported was wrong. That might be the issue. If I can
    >>>find time to make the drivers disk, I might give it a try while I'm
    >>>waiting for the next set of restore media. Thanks again. I'll report
    >>>back the results.
    >>>

    >>Don't understand why you want to dump media center - it is XP Pro with the
    >>media center add-ons.

    Buy a router.

    --

    Gargravarr

    "One of the major problems of time travel is... one of grammer."

    **The Restaurant at the End of the Universe**

  13. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Router? How would a router help me bypass the SOFTWARE limitations of
    getting XP MCE into a domain?

    Back to the topic, Kgo, when you have some time to do further teting please
    report your results....

    -BKuhl

    "Gargravarr" wrote in message
    > Brad Kuhl wrote:
    >> Another way of looking at it is XP Home with media center add-ons. Or
    >> yet another, is XP Pro without all the pesky network features.
    >>
    >> Since I have a multiple machine domain, I need XP Pro so that I can share
    >> resources. This will be the wife's workstation and she needs to be able
    >> to get to files on my other workstations. I could create NET USE scripts
    >> to get to the other workstations, but that is a kludge in my opinion....
    >>
    >> -BKuhl
    >>

    >> "JM" wrote in message
    >> news:hPudndO14JCoVjvenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >>>Don't understand why you want to dump media center - it is XP Pro with
    >>>the media center add-ons.

    > Buy a router.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Gargravarr
    >
    > "One of the major problems of time travel is... one of grammer."
    >
    > **The Restaurant at the End of the Universe**

  14. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Well, I still can't believe it but I think I got it to work. Of
    course, there are a lot of dead ends that I won't discuss but here's
    how it happened.

    The problem does appear to be, as Ben said above, that the stock WinXP
    Pro install media doesn't include the SATA drivers. So, all you need
    to do should be to hit F6 when you first boot from the install media
    and then when you're eventually prompted for it, put in your SATA
    driver disk. Unfortunately, HP's download site doesn't have any SATA
    drivers. Also, this pc doesn't have a floppy and the hitting F6 option
    apparently doesn't allow you to look at a CD or DVD drive. What to do?

    First, I thought I needed to find out what drivers were needed so I
    used the following web page
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...name=c00399477
    to get info about the chipset on the motherboard. Well, apparently
    this motherboard is only available OEM and there's no documentation and
    you can't go to the manufacturer's site(MSI) for drivers--at least I
    couldn't find any. So I started looking for other boards that used the
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset. I found one and downloaded the SATA
    drivers they had on their site. I can't remember for sure but I think
    I got the drivers from this page:
    http://www.asrock.com/support/Downlo...Dual-SATA2.htm

    I'm not really sure if this matters and this will become apparent once
    I tell you the next step. Since I didn't have a floppy, I had to find
    some way to get the drivers in the install. I ran across a couple of
    sites that show you how to 'slipstream' drivers and other things like
    service packs and hot fixes into an install. You can do it manually
    but I ended up using an application I downloaded called 'nlite'
    (http://www.nliteos.com/) to add the drivers to install, create a new
    ISO image and then burn it to CD. This didn't work. It appeared to be

    The next day, I was talking with a friend (thanks Jeff) who was looking
    around and trying to help out. He found some info suggesting that the
    SATA drivers were in SP2. If that was the case, all I had to do was
    use nlite to slipstream in SP2 and I'd be set. He gave me the url to
    download the SP2 exe without having to run thru windows update and I
    pulled it down and slipstreamed it into a new ISO. Well, I just wasn't
    going to get out of this thing easy because now the size of the ISO was
    760MB--too big for a CD. Fortunately, I did have a DVD burner so I
    burned the ISO to a DVD. One thing to note, is that I still had the
    drivers I had previously put in still in there. So, I'm not 100% sure
    if SP2 is all you need but I suspect that it is. In any case, I'm now
    running XP Pro on the a1250n. Someone else will have to do the rest of
    the testing to see if just having Win XP Pro SP2 install media will do
    the trick. I'm tired of messing with it. I just want to install the
    software that I bought this thing for in the first place. My new
    system is now joined to my home domain and appears to be happy in it's
    new home.

    For anyone who cares, here are a couple of slipstreaming explanation
    sites:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
    http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html

    The following site is the one that referred me to nlite but also goes
    into much detail on how to create unattended install media:
    http://unattended.msfn.org/

    Best of luck to anyone who has go thru this. I hope this info helps.
    And thanks for the suggestions from those who gave them. God bless the
    Internet and a Merry Christmas to all and to all....a good night. ;-)

  15. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Interesting saga. A USB floppy drive might be a handy thing to have around. Or
    an internal one, if the chassis allows... Ben Myers

    On 20 Dec 2005 19:24:41 -0800, "kgo" wrote:

> [...]
    >the trick. I'm tired of messing with it. I just want to install the
    >software that I bought this thing for in the first place. My new
    >system is now joined to my home domain and appears to be happy in it's
    >new home.
    >
    >For anyone who cares, here are a couple of slipstreaming explanation
    >sites:
    >http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
    >http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html
    >
    >The following site is the one that referred me to nlite but also goes
    >into much detail on how to create unattended install media:
    >http://unattended.msfn.org/
    >
    >Best of luck to anyone who has go thru this. I hope this info helps.
    >And thanks for the suggestions from those who gave them. God bless the
    >Internet and a Merry Christmas to all and to all....a good night. ;-)

  16. Re: Attempt to upgrade Pavillion a1250n OS to XP Pro

    Yeah, I gave up on the HP but am going through the process on a similarly
    configured Gateway. I have a USB floppy and was able to use that to install
    the proper drivers.

    -BKuhl

+ Reply to Thread