DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller - Hewlett Packard ; I am looking for a generic DOS ASPI driver for the Storageworks controller in our DL380 G4. My goal is to be able to use the Symantec Ghost 2003 boot disks to image the RAID arrays (SBS2003). HP says they ...

  1. DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    I am looking for a generic DOS ASPI driver for the Storageworks
    controller in our DL380 G4. My goal is to be able to use the Symantec
    Ghost 2003 boot disks to image the RAID arrays (SBS2003). HP says they
    dont have one but a "generic" one should work.

    Thanx for the help
    Mark

  2. Re: DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    You been given misleading information by HP, who continue to show an astonishing
    lack of technical depth about HP products. There is no such thing as a
    "generic" ASPI driver for DOS or Windows. ASPI drivers are written for specific
    chipsets and, in some cases, families of chipsets such as the Adaptec
    2900-series of SCSI host adapters and 7800-series of SCSI chips. You will need
    to determine the original manufacturer of the StorageWorks controller, then see
    if the manufacturer has a DOS ASPI driver available for download... Ben Myers

    On 16 Dec 2005 07:14:24 -0800, "Koden" wrote:

    >I am looking for a generic DOS ASPI driver for the Storageworks
    >controller in our DL380 G4. My goal is to be able to use the Symantec
    >Ghost 2003 boot disks to image the RAID arrays (SBS2003). HP says they
    >dont have one but a "generic" one should work.
    >
    >Thanx for the help
    >Mark

  3. Re: DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    That makes sense. The controller is a Smart Array 6i. Hopefully I can
    find something that works. Off to do more searching.

    Thanx

  4. Re: DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    Examine the board itself. Look for the large chip(s). Given that this is a
    relatively new hardware box, SCSI chips are likely to be either Adaptec or LSI,
    the two SCSI players left standing these days, for all practical purposes.

    Assuming that some sort of Windows operating system is currently installed, look
    in the Device Manager panel of the System icon in Control Panel. The RAID
    chipset is clearly identified by newer Windows versions.

    I'm not sure that I can hold out much hope for a DOS ASPI driver, though. Chip
    manufacturers are doing very little DOS software these days. Good luck.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 16 Dec 2005 09:02:47 -0800, "Koden" wrote:

    >That makes sense. The controller is a Smart Array 6i. Hopefully I can
    >find something that works. Off to do more searching.
    >
    >Thanx

  5. Re: DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

    > There is no such thing as a
    > "generic" ASPI driver for DOS or Windows.

    you are right for DOS, Ben. Under Windows, however, you can use Aspi using
    the ASPI driver from LSI for Adaptec or vice versa.

    Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

  6. Re: DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    You may be right, but I find this a bit surprising. Given the mix of chips
    (Adaptec 1500-series, 2900-series, 3900-series, 7800 chips, and whatever LSI
    offers) and interfaces (ISA, PCI, PC Card), I think that a single driver would
    present some daunting technical challenges. Or perhaps the Windows driver
    world is bifurcated? There are chipset-specific drivers handling the low level
    hardware port manipulation and a generic ASPI driver which can call whichever
    hardware driver is installed? ... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:03:05 +0100, Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=
    wrote:

    >On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...
    >
    >> There is no such thing as a
    >> "generic" ASPI driver for DOS or Windows.

    >you are right for DOS, Ben. Under Windows, however, you can use Aspi using
    >the ASPI driver from LSI for Adaptec or vice versa.
    >
    >--
    >mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
    >Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
    >
    >Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

  7. Re: DOS ASPI driver for DL380 G4 Storageworks controller

    On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

    > There are chipset-specific drivers handling the low level
    > hardware port manipulation and a generic ASPI driver which can call whichever
    > hardware driver is installed?

    that would be my guess, too.

    What did somebody say...that Paradise must have looked like
    this...? - Kirk, "Star Trek, (The Apple)"

+ Reply to Thread