Solaris on HP xw9300? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Solaris on HP xw9300? - Hewlett Packard ; Has anyone tried to install and run Solaris on the HP xw9300 workstation? If so I would greatly appreciate any information and advice on how to do this and how well does it work. Thx, dk...

  1. Solaris on HP xw9300?

    Has anyone tried to install and run
    Solaris on the HP xw9300 workstation?

    If so I would greatly appreciate any
    information and advice on how to do
    this and how well does it work.

    Thx,

    dk

  2. Re: Solaris on HP xw9300?

    In article <43a26c3a$1@news.meer.net>, "Dan Koren"
    wrote:

    > Has anyone tried to install and run
    > Solaris on the HP xw9300 workstation?
    >
    > If so I would greatly appreciate any
    > information and advice on how to do
    > this and how well does it work.
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > dk

    You've checked the Solaris HCL, right (I never know with kernel
    hackers--they think they can change _anything_ through coding--even the
    seasons):

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/index.html

    Don't see it there as it's an 64-bit system. I saw support for AMD
    systems but not Intel's Opteron.

    You might have another kernel hacking project on your hands with
    OpenSolaris.

  3. Re: Solaris on HP xw9300?

    Michael Vilain schrieb:

    > You've checked the Solaris HCL, right (I never know with kernel
    > hackers--they think they can change _anything_ through coding--even the
    > seasons):
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/index.html
    >
    > Don't see it there as it's an 64-bit system. I saw support for AMD
    > systems but not Intel's Opteron.

    The reason you never saw support for "Intel's Opteron" might be that the
    Opteron is indeed a processor made by AMD ;-)

    And since Solaris runs on the Sun Ultra20 (which is a generic PC with
    TYAN S939 mobo with nForce4 chipset and a S939 Opteron) there is no real
    reason why one would need "kernel hacking" to have Solaris run on the
    xw9300 which also uses Opterons (2x S940, though, but not that this
    makes a real difference) and the nForce4 (Pro version)...

    Benjamin

  4. Re: Solaris on HP xw9300?

    Dan Koren wrote:

    > Has anyone tried to install and run
    > Solaris on the HP xw9300 workstation?

    I am running Solaris 10 on a Tyan S2895 mainboard - which is also used in
    the XW9300 workstation.

    You should install from the Solaris 10 03/05 HW1 upgrade:

    - to be able to boot from hard disk you have apply patch 119857-01
    (already integrated in HW1)
    - For the NICs to work (NForce Ethernet) you have to pkgadd SUNWnve
    package (also integrated in HW1)
    - The RAID-Feature is not supported. You should disable RAID support in
    the BIOS - with earlier BIOS releases I was able to keep RAID support
    enabled in the BIOS and still was able to use the disks as standard
    ATA disks.

    So if you install from the HW1 CD/DVD you should have no problem with
    Solaris.

    Just one note: Because of a badly packaged patch (118849-01) you have to
    manually edit /var/sadm/pkg/{SUNWcsl,SUNWcslr}/pkginfo and
    delete 118345-03 after the "Obsoletes: " - otherwise you won't be able
    to install patch 118345-04 (or later).

    --
    Daniel

  5. Re: Solaris on HP xw9300?

    "Daniel Rock" wrote in message
    > Dan Koren wrote:
    >>
    >> Has anyone tried to install and run
    >> Solaris on the HP xw9300 workstation?

    > I am running Solaris 10 on a Tyan S2895 mainboard - which is also used in
    > the XW9300 workstation.
    >
    > You should install from the Solaris 10 03/05 HW1 upgrade:
    >
    > - to be able to boot from hard disk you have apply patch 119857-01
    > (already integrated in HW1)
    > - For the NICs to work (NForce Ethernet) you have to pkgadd SUNWnve
    > package (also integrated in HW1)
    > - The RAID-Feature is not supported. You should disable RAID support in
    > the BIOS - with earlier BIOS releases I was able to keep RAID support
    > enabled in the BIOS and still was able to use the disks as standard
    > ATA disks.
    >
    > So if you install from the HW1 CD/DVD you should have no problem with
    > Solaris.
    >
    > Just one note: Because of a badly packaged patch (118849-01) you have to
    > manually edit /var/sadm/pkg/{SUNWcsl,SUNWcslr}/pkginfo and
    > delete 118345-03 after the "Obsoletes: " - otherwise you won't be able
    > to install patch 118345-04 (or later).

    Thanks a lot, this really helps.

    dk

  6. Omnibook meets coffee....

    I have a Omnibook 6000 which was working fine until yesterday, when my
    wife spilled her coffee over the machine.

    I've stripped & dried the machine, and re-assembled it today. When I try
    to power it up using the external AC power brick, the 3 status lights
    blink, and the AC power light stays on. Otherwise, nothing. No POST
    beeps, no fan activity, nothing.

    Before I buy a replacement machine, does anybody have any ideas or
    suggestions? (apart from keeping my wife & her coffee at a safe distance
    this is!!). I suspect that the motherboard has lost it's smoke though.

    /Steve.

+ Reply to Thread