hp 906c printer - cannot install new driver - on hp pavillion - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on hp 906c printer - cannot install new driver - on hp pavillion - Hewlett Packard ; A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old) and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and ...

  1. hp 906c printer - cannot install new driver - on hp pavillion

    A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old)
    and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was
    able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it. But
    the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to
    microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I
    tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing happens
    when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry and remove
    a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not help and i used
    system restore to revert. I also tried using the installation cd to
    remove. it did its routine but did not remove anything and the printer
    still works. I cannot help but wonder if the driver install program is
    defective.

    Since i can work around the glitch I am ready to give up - but thought I
    would ask about this

    alan

  2. Re: hp 960c printer - cannot install new driver - on hp pavillion

    HP 960C

    My mistake
    "Alan" wrote in message
    >A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old)
    >and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I
    >was able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it.
    >But the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to
    >microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I
    >tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing
    >happens when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry
    >and remove a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not help
    >and i used system restore to revert. I also tried using the installation
    >cd to remove. it did its routine but did not remove anything and the
    >printer still works. I cannot help but wonder if the driver install
    >program is defective.
    >
    > Since i can work around the glitch I am ready to give up - but thought I
    > would ask about this
    >
    > alan

+ Reply to Thread