Reading data back from HP4195A - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Reading data back from HP4195A - Hewlett Packard ; I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus, and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments, and usually there ...

  1. Reading data back from HP4195A

    I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    the 4195A?

    TIA!
    -larry

  2. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:38:05 -0800, Larry Martell wrote:

    > I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus, and I can't
    > seem to find the command to return the data from a sweep. I have worked
    > with many other HP test instruments, and usually there is a command that
    > sends back the entire data set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the
    > 3562A that command is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back
    > from the 4195A?

    I don't know about this particular model, but there is a standardized
    data acquisition and control language called SPCI (Standard Commands for
    Programmable Instrumentation) http://www.scpiconsortium.org/SCPI-99.pdf
    which is used by many modern instruments (multimeters, scopes, generators,
    etc). DDAS doesn't seem to be a SPCI command, by the way.

  3. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    I know for my HP synthesizer there is a "gate" signal -- and I can control
    the synthesizer and spectrum analyzer all in one.

    Try posting your question on the newsgroup rec.radio.amateur.homebrew --
    there are quite a few former HP (Agilent) engineers who visit there. A lot
    of ham radio ops use HP network analyzers, synthesizers, VNA's etc.

    "Larry Martell" wrote in message
    news:1134095885.492669.295740@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    > and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    > a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    > and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    > set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    > is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    > the 4195A?
    >
    > TIA!
    > -larry

  4. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    przemek klosowski wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:38:05 -0800, Larry Martell wrote:
    >
    > > I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus, and I can't
    > > seem to find the command to return the data from a sweep. I have worked
    > > with many other HP test instruments, and usually there is a command that
    > > sends back the entire data set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the
    > > 3562A that command is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back
    > > from the 4195A?

    > I don't know about this particular model, but there is a standardized
    > data acquisition and control language called SPCI (Standard Commands for
    > Programmable Instrumentation) http://www.scpiconsortium.org/SCPI-99.pdf
    > which is used by many modern instruments (multimeters, scopes, generators,
    > etc).

    I don't know if I'd call a 4195 a "modern" instrument. My 4195A was
    made in 1989, and
    SPCI came out in 1999.

    > DDAS doesn't seem to be a SPCI command, by the way.

    It's an HP-IB command that the 3562A accetps.

    -larry

  5. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    Larry Martell wrote:
    >>On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:38:05 -0800, Larry Martell wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus, and I can't
    >>>seem to find the command to return the data from a sweep. [...]

    I have an HP3577A that accepts commands like "DRA" (Dump Register A).
    Send it "FM1" first if you want ASCII data. If that works, I should
    be able to suggest a few more commands to try out.

    Jeroen Belleman

  6. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    On 8 Dec 2005 18:38:05 -0800, "Larry Martell"
    wrote:

    >I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    >and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    >a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    >and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    >set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    >is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    >the 4195A?
    >
    >TIA!
    >-larry

    A register: A?
    B register: B?
    X register: X?

    My normal sequence:
    SWM2 single sweep mode
    SWTRIG trigger (may need to insert a wait)
    A? get A register
    B? get B register
    X? get C register

    ---
    Mark

  7. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    qrk wrote:
    > On 8 Dec 2005 18:38:05 -0800, "Larry Martell"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    > >and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    > >a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    > >and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    > >set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    > >is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    > >the 4195A?
    > >
    > >TIA!
    > >-larry

    > A register: A?
    > B register: B?
    > X register: X?
    >
    > My normal sequence:
    > SWM2 single sweep mode
    > SWTRIG trigger (may need to insert a wait)
    > A? get A register
    > B? get B register
    > X? get C register

    Thanks very much Mark. I've played around with this a bit, and I found
    that the
    A register has the Y data and the X register has the X data. But what
    data is
    contained in the B register?

    -larry

  8. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    In comp.sys.hp.hardware Larry Martell wrote:
    > I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus, and I
    > can't seem to find the command to return the data from a sweep. I
    > have worked with many other HP test instruments, and usually there
    > is a command that sends back the entire data set after a sweep is
    > completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command is "DDAS"). Anyone know
    > would I get the sweep data back from the 4195A?

    Have you tried poking around www.agilent.com yet? Of the two (HP or
    Agilent) I would suspect that Agilent is more likely to have old stuff
    for that. Of course, it may be old enough that the docs were never
    done for online perusal...

    rick jones

  9. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    Hi,

    Please contact my friend Marc / F5MM he has many many HP TM equipment and do
    some programming for these and he own a 4195A .
    His email is: marcmislanghe@compuserve.com
    Recommand you from myself, he's a very good friend. He is also starting a
    European HP museum with around more than 500 instruments, vintage and more
    recent.
    I copy him with this email.

    Good luck
    Pierre-François / F5BQP
    pfmonet@wanadoo.fr

    "Larry Martell" a écrit dans le message de news:
    1134095885.492669.295740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com...
    >I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    > and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    > a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    > and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    > set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    > is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    > the 4195A?
    >
    > TIA!
    > -larry

  10. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    On 9 Dec 2005 15:02:32 -0800, "Larry Martell"
    wrote:

    >qrk wrote:
    >> On 8 Dec 2005 18:38:05 -0800, "Larry Martell"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    >> >and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    >> >a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    >> >and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    >> >set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    >> >is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    >> >the 4195A?
    >> >
    >> >TIA!
    >> >-larry

    >> A register: A?
    >> B register: B?
    >> X register: X?
    >>
    >> My normal sequence:
    >> SWM2 single sweep mode
    >> SWTRIG trigger (may need to insert a wait)
    >> A? get A register
    >> B? get B register
    >> X? get C register

    >Thanks very much Mark. I've played around with this a bit, and I found
    >that the
    >A register has the Y data and the X register has the X data. But what
    >data is
    >contained in the B register?
    >
    >-larry

    The B register contents depends on what the instrument settings are.
    Hit the format button for the A and B register definitions.

    Network analysis: phase, group delay, and imaginary part of the
    signal.

    Impedance analysis: to numerous to list.

    Spectral analysis: nothing that I know of.

    ---
    Mark

  11. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    "Larry Martell" wrote in message
    news:1134095885.492669.295740@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus,
    > and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from
    > a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments,
    > and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data
    > set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command
    > is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from
    > the 4195A?

    fwiw, the folks at SOFTWIRE have put together a Visual Basic routine for
    GPIB -- it can be found as a zip file on the Softwire Forum -- in the "Strut
    Your Stuff" section. http://forums.softwire.com

  12. Re: Reading data back from HP4195A

    qrk wrote:
    > On 9 Dec 2005 15:02:32 -0800, "Larry Martell"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >qrk wrote:

    > >> A register: A?
    > >> B register: B?
    > >> X register: X?
    > >>
    > >> My normal sequence:
    > >> SWM2 single sweep mode
    > >> SWTRIG trigger (may need to insert a wait)
    > >> A? get A register
    > >> B? get B register
    > >> X? get C register

    > >Thanks very much Mark. I've played around with this a bit, and I found
    > >that the
    > >A register has the Y data and the X register has the X data. But what
    > >data is
    > >contained in the B register?
    > >
    > >-larry

    > The B register contents depends on what the instrument settings are.
    > Hit the format button for the A and B register definitions.
    >
    > Network analysis: phase, group delay, and imaginary part of the
    > signal.
    >
    > Impedance analysis: to numerous to list.
    >
    > Spectral analysis: nothing that I know of.

    Thanks again!!

    -larry

+ Reply to Thread