3D Gaming card for HP X4000 workstation - any suggestions/experiences? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on 3D Gaming card for HP X4000 workstation - any suggestions/experiences? - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, I recently acquired an HP X4000 workstation that came with an ATI Fire GL4 video card. The Fire GL4 locked up with my favorite game, MS Flight Simulator 2004, so I replaced it with my old ATI Radeon 9200/256MB. ...

  1. 3D Gaming card for HP X4000 workstation - any suggestions/experiences?

    Hello,

    I recently acquired an HP X4000 workstation that came with an ATI Fire GL4
    video card. The Fire GL4 locked up with my favorite game, MS Flight
    Simulator 2004, so I replaced it with my old ATI Radeon 9200/256MB. The
    Radeon 9200 works OK, but I would like to upgrade.

    Have any of you installed an AGP 3D gaming card in an HP X4000? If so, can
    you offer any insight as to what the best game card is for this machine?
    Also, are there any cards I should stay away from? I read on one web site
    that a user could not get his X4000 to boot with an nVidia-based card. I
    would like to know if his issue is widespread or isolated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
    ebacon@comcast.net

  2. Re: 3D Gaming card for HP X4000 workstation - any suggestions/experiences?

    On the seventh day, Ed Bacon, Jr. wrote...

    > I recently acquired an HP X4000 workstation that came with an ATI Fire GL4
    > video card. The Fire GL4 locked up with my favorite game, MS Flight
    > Simulator 2004, so I replaced it with my old ATI Radeon 9200/256MB. The
    > Radeon 9200 works OK, but I would like to upgrade.
    >
    > Have any of you installed an AGP 3D gaming card in an HP X4000? If so, can
    > you offer any insight as to what the best game card is for this machine?
    > Also, are there any cards I should stay away from? I read on one web site
    > that a user could not get his X4000 to boot with an nVidia-based card. I
    > would like to know if his issue is widespread or isolated.

    I double Benjamin's advice. If you have 2GHz Prestonia cpu(s) already, I
    can definitely suggest a Sapphire Atlantis 9800Pro (256bit) with 128MB RAM.
    This will get you decent performance but don't expect miracles. The card is
    available pretty cheap as well. However, only take original cards with no
    modification whatsoever concerning the fan. It is silent enough. Changing
    heatsink and fan will most likely break the card (overheating) since the
    modification is not that easy.

    There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without
    result. - Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

  3. Re: 3D Gaming card for HP X4000 workstation - any suggestions/experiences?

    Herr Bacon sagt vielen dank und schreibt zuruck:

    My X4000 has dual 2GHz w/ 2GB RAM. Considering your input I ended up
    installing an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X800XT 256MB AGP4X/8X as I intend to
    convert home videotapes to DVD.

    With regard to performance, a 3dMark03 test gave the X800XT 256MB a score of
    10078 compared to 1155 for the Radeon 9200 128MB in the same machine. This
    improvement is impressive enough for me, albeit the X800XT score is about
    15% below scores achieved by other machines with faster processors, memory,
    and chipsets.

    Frohe Weinachten to all of you.

    Ed Bacon, Jr.
    ebacon@comcast.net

    "Ed Bacon, Jr." wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently acquired an HP X4000 workstation that came with an ATI Fire GL4
    > video card. The Fire GL4 locked up with my favorite game, MS Flight
    > Simulator 2004, so I replaced it with my old ATI Radeon 9200/256MB. The
    > Radeon 9200 works OK, but I would like to upgrade.
    >
    > Have any of you installed an AGP 3D gaming card in an HP X4000? If so,
    > can you offer any insight as to what the best game card is for this
    > machine? Also, are there any cards I should stay away from? I read on one
    > web site that a user could not get his X4000 to boot with an nVidia-based
    > card. I would like to know if his issue is widespread or isolated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ed
    > ebacon@comcast.net

+ Reply to Thread