Send PCL3 commands in DOS to HP OfficeJet ? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Send PCL3 commands in DOS to HP OfficeJet ? - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I'm trying to turn on the duplex feature of the Officejet G85 remotely from the network via a batch file (there is a years old bug unfixed in the OfficeJet windows driver that prevents doing this in the normal ...

  1. Send PCL3 commands in DOS to HP OfficeJet ?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to turn on the duplex feature of the Officejet G85 remotely
    from the network
    via a batch file (there is a years old bug unfixed in the OfficeJet
    windows driver that prevents doing this in the normal way from network
    stations using the windows driver preferences- the printer just ignores
    any commands to print in duplex or landscape)

    So I thought I'd try a PCL text file (duplex.prn) like:

    %-12345X@PJL
    @PJL SET DUPLEX = ON
    @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL3GUI

    and then pass it to the printer with a:
    copy duplex.prn \\[servername]\[Printername]

    when I copy it, there are no errors (ie the printer accepts it) but it
    does nothing, and then continues to print in non-duplex

    any advice?

    perhaps PCL commands can only be passed batch in PCL4/5 and not inkjet
    PCL3?

    thanks

  2. Re: Send PCL3 commands in DOS to HP OfficeJet ?

    clarified my position a bit:
    When I tried to see what PCL commands the printer gets when printing a
    one page file from word:
    (by printing it to a .prn file) its header was:

    E%-12345X@PJL JOB NAME = "aafd9084145445c241f5"
    @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL3GUI
    &l1H&l-2H&l26A*o-1M&l0M&u300D&l0e0L*p0Y*p0X*g8W,,
    &l0H*r1A*b2m398y53w · /א  * ?€ר

    i.e. each job already gets its own PCL header, and my batch file is
    ignored by this header.
    So I now know what I want: not a way to modify the header file sent to
    print, but a way to send PCL PJL commands that change the general
    preferences of the server Officejet driver in windows (which will
    affect all later jobs from the network and supercede their PCL
    headers).

    How to do this, no idea.

  3. Re: Send PCL3 commands in DOS to HP OfficeJet ?

    I realize this is more into Laserjet territory and not Inkjet. If only
    I knew how to do it on a LaserJet, even- (send a textual PCL5/6 command
    through DOS to the printer that changes its driver preferences, not
    just for one job) - probably it is not much different for the Officejet
    G85.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread