DVD Won't write - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DVD Won't write - Hewlett Packard ; I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a system recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo. ago), she is now being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs. ...

  1. DVD Won't write

    I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a system
    recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo. ago), she is now
    being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs.
    Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW. Puts the disc in and got some sort
    of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank. But for the hell of
    it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.

    I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything that
    may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.

    I really dread having to call HP. PC is only a few mos. old so after the
    holiday's she is prob. going to bring it into CompUSA, where she bought it.
    That is unless I can figure out what is wrong. IMO the drive appears to be
    malfunctioning. It reads and writes to CD, plays DVD, but won't write.

    Any ideas/suggestions. TIA

  2. Re: DVD Won't write

    In article , "Larry Mauriello" writes:
    :I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think).

    One of the various Microsoft Windows variants, I assume, and not
    a Linux flavor nor some other operating system, is running on this
    particular box.

    Which particular DVD drive is present within the system?

    Out of curiousity, has this PC system ever previously successfully
    recorded DVD media?

    :Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    :called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    :She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW.

    I'd tend to try to generate the proffered 13 CD-R or CD-RW disks first,
    here -- the CD media is cheap, and the time and the "thought effort"
    involved in generating the recovery disks on CD media isn't huge.
    (I'd get the recovery disks generated by Windows first, and I'd then
    look into the DVD recording problem.)

    Once I verified that the recording drive was a DVD recording drive and
    not, for instance, a CD-R/-RW/DVD-ROM drive, I'd then ensure that the
    proper DVD media was used -- most HP systems use an HP-provided drive
    and DVD+R/+RW media, while some HP systems have drives with the "quad"
    DVD+R/+RW/-R/RW recording support. And yes, some of the HP systems
    can and do have CD-R/-RW/DVD-ROM (CD writer, DVD reader) drives.

    :Puts the disc in and got some sort of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    :It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank.

    Probably. Don't bet on it, though. I've received all sorts of
    odd media over the years, some unformatted, and some not.

    Do get the message, as that might point to the problem.

    :But for the hell of it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    :It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.

    That might be a software problem, or a DVD+R/RW drive problem,
    or a media problem.

    :I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything that
    :may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.

    (Re)formatting only works with rewritable media, obviously.

    :I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.

    Not all software and not all hardware supports drag-to-disk, if
    that is what you did here. If you tried creating a disk using
    Sonic or

    You've proved a hard error, which makes support rather easier.
    Details on the DVD drive and the media would be a start, here.

    And if the media is correct and the drive is a DVD recording drive
    and etc, and if the box is presently under warrantee, I would call
    the HP support folks for assistance.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[\0100]hp.com

  3. Re: DVD Won't write

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a system
    > recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo. ago), she is now
    > being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs.
    > Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    > called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    > She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW. Puts the disc in and got some sort
    > of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    > It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank. But for the hell of
    > it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    > It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.
    >
    > I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything that
    > may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    > I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.
    >
    > I really dread having to call HP. PC is only a few mos. old so after the
    > holiday's she is prob. going to bring it into CompUSA, where she bought it.
    > That is unless I can figure out what is wrong. IMO the drive appears to be
    > malfunctioning. It reads and writes to CD, plays DVD, but won't write.
    >
    > Any ideas/suggestions. TIA

    Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update for
    the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

  4. Re: DVD Won't write

    JM wrote:
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >
    >> I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a
    >> system recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo.
    >> ago), she is now being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs.
    >> Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's.
    >> She called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    >> She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW. Puts the disc in and got some
    >> sort of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    >> It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank. But for the
    >> hell of it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    >> It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.
    >>
    >> I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase
    >> anything that may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    >> I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.
    >>
    >> I really dread having to call HP. PC is only a few mos. old so after
    >> the holiday's she is prob. going to bring it into CompUSA, where she
    >> bought it.
    >> That is unless I can figure out what is wrong. IMO the drive appears
    >> to be malfunctioning. It reads and writes to CD, plays DVD, but won't
    >> write.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/suggestions. TIA
    >>

    > Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update for
    > the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    > write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

    The cd creator software wants DVD+R or DVD-R. DVD+RW will not work.

    craigm

  5. Re: DVD Won't write

    Sorry, forgot some of the other details. PC is an Xp Home machine. Writting
    to DVD was never tried.
    Off hand I don't know the drive that is installed. Assuming you mean the
    actual name of the installed h/w.

    "Hoff Hoffman" wrote in message
    > In article , "Larry Mauriello"
    > writes:
    > :I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think).
    >
    > One of the various Microsoft Windows variants, I assume, and not
    > a Linux flavor nor some other operating system, is running on this
    > particular box.
    >
    > Which particular DVD drive is present within the system?
    >
    > Out of curiousity, has this PC system ever previously successfully
    > recorded DVD media?
    >
    > :Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    > :called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    > :She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW.
    >
    > I'd tend to try to generate the proffered 13 CD-R or CD-RW disks first,
    > here -- the CD media is cheap, and the time and the "thought effort"
    > involved in generating the recovery disks on CD media isn't huge.
    > (I'd get the recovery disks generated by Windows first, and I'd then
    > look into the DVD recording problem.)
    >
    > Once I verified that the recording drive was a DVD recording drive and
    > not, for instance, a CD-R/-RW/DVD-ROM drive, I'd then ensure that the
    > proper DVD media was used -- most HP systems use an HP-provided drive
    > and DVD+R/+RW media, while some HP systems have drives with the "quad"
    > DVD+R/+RW/-R/RW recording support. And yes, some of the HP systems
    > can and do have CD-R/-RW/DVD-ROM (CD writer, DVD reader) drives.
    >
    > :Puts the disc in and got some sort of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    > :It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank.
    >
    > Probably. Don't bet on it, though. I've received all sorts of
    > odd media over the years, some unformatted, and some not.
    >
    > Do get the message, as that might point to the problem.
    >
    > :But for the hell of it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    > :It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.
    >
    > That might be a software problem, or a DVD+R/RW drive problem,
    > or a media problem.
    >
    > :I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything
    > that
    > :may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    >
    > (Re)formatting only works with rewritable media, obviously.
    >
    > :I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.
    >
    > Not all software and not all hardware supports drag-to-disk, if
    > that is what you did here. If you tried creating a disk using
    > Sonic or
    >
    > You've proved a hard error, which makes support rather easier.
    > Details on the DVD drive and the media would be a start, here.
    >
    > And if the media is correct and the drive is a DVD recording drive
    > and etc, and if the box is presently under warrantee, I would call
    > the HP support folks for assistance.
    >
    > ---------------------------- #include
    > -----------------------------
    > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    > --------------------------- pure personal
    > opinion ---------------------------
    > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[\0100]hp.com

  6. Re: DVD Won't write

    I did think of going to the HP site, but I can't convince her to go to DSL.
    I did a driver lookup in Device Mgr. and came up empty.
    In all honesty I try not to tinker w/her machine. I don't need to be making
    daily housecalls...lol

    I will look at HP site to check. If need be I can always d/l it to a disc
    and bring it over there.

    "JM" wrote in message
    news:dtSdnRcvdPhZVgnenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >> I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a
    >> system recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo. ago),
    >> she is now being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs.
    >> Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    >> called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    >> She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW. Puts the disc in and got some
    >> sort of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    >> It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank. But for the hell
    >> of it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    >> It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.
    >>
    >> I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything
    >> that may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    >> I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.
    >>
    >> I really dread having to call HP. PC is only a few mos. old so after the
    >> holiday's she is prob. going to bring it into CompUSA, where she bought
    >> it.
    >> That is unless I can figure out what is wrong. IMO the drive appears to
    >> be malfunctioning. It reads and writes to CD, plays DVD, but won't write.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/suggestions. TIA

    > Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update for
    > the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    > write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

  7. Re: DVD Won't write

    "craigm" wrote in message
    > JM wrote:
    >> Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a
    >>> system recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo. ago),
    >>> she is now being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs.
    >>> Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    >>> called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    >>> She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW. Puts the disc in and got some
    >>> sort of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    >>> It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank. But for the
    >>> hell of it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    >>> It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.
    >>>
    >>> I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything
    >>> that may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    >>> I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no
    >>> good.
    >>>
    >>> I really dread having to call HP. PC is only a few mos. old so after the
    >>> holiday's she is prob. going to bring it into CompUSA, where she bought
    >>> it.
    >>> That is unless I can figure out what is wrong. IMO the drive appears to
    >>> be malfunctioning. It reads and writes to CD, plays DVD, but won't
    >>> write.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas/suggestions. TIA
    >>>

    >> Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update for
    >> the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    >> write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

    > The cd creator software wants DVD+R or DVD-R. DVD+RW will not work.
    >
    > craigm

    Oh for crying out loud. Why wouldn't the stupid program say that. So there
    may actually be nothing wrong w/the pc.
    But then why couldn't I copy a Word doc to the DVD?

  8. Re: DVD Won't write

    Before your drain yourself in the "Free Life Time Tech support", are you sure it
    is a DVD Writer that comes with the system, not a simple DVD & CDRW combo drive
    which means it will play DVD and write music&data but not DVD> Just a thought.

    Dewaine

    Larry Mauriello wrote:

    > I did think of going to the HP site, but I can't convince her to go to DSL.
    > I did a driver lookup in Device Mgr. and came up empty.
    > In all honesty I try not to tinker w/her machine. I don't need to be making
    > daily housecalls...lol
    >
    > I will look at HP site to check. If need be I can always d/l it to a disc
    > and bring it over there.
    >
    > "JM" wrote in message
    > news:dtSdnRcvdPhZVgnenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > >> I have a friend who has a HP1114a (I think). Eventhough I created a
    > >> system recovery CD when we took the machine out of the box (3 mo. ago),
    > >> she is now being reminded to create CD/DVD system Recovery discs.
    > >> Ok she tried w/a CD and the wizzard said it would take some 13 CD's. She
    > >> called me and I told her she needed to use DVD's.
    > >> She went out and bought a box of DVD+RW. Puts the disc in and got some
    > >> sort of msg. the disc wasn't blank.
    > >> It was brand new out of the box, of course it was blank. But for the hell
    > >> of it I brought over a couple of my own blank DVD's.
    > >> It STILL says the disc is not empty, and can not be written to.
    > >>
    > >> I went into the SONIC s/w included w/the pc and tried to erase anything
    > >> that may have been on the DVD. It seems to have failed also.
    > >> I then tried to copy a plain Word doc. to the DVD. That was also no good.
    > >>
    > >> I really dread having to call HP. PC is only a few mos. old so after the
    > >> holiday's she is prob. going to bring it into CompUSA, where she bought
    > >> it.
    > >> That is unless I can figure out what is wrong. IMO the drive appears to
    > >> be malfunctioning. It reads and writes to CD, plays DVD, but won't write.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas/suggestions. TIA

    > > Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update for
    > > the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    > > write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

  9. Re: DVD Won't write

    Thanks for the *thought*. Trust me it Is a DVD +/- burner. Thganks
    anyway.

    "Dewaine Chan" <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:Zy6lf.1798$7b4.664420@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
    > Before your drain yourself in the "Free Life Time Tech support", are you
    > sure it
    > is a DVD Writer that comes with the system, not a simple DVD & CDRW combo
    > drive
    > which means it will play DVD and write music&data but not DVD> Just a
    > thought.
    >
    > Dewaine
    >
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >
    >> I did think of going to the HP site, but I can't convince her to go to
    >> DSL.
    >> I did a driver lookup in Device Mgr. and came up empty.
    >> In all honesty I try not to tinker w/her machine. I don't need to be
    >> making
    >> daily housecalls...lol
    >>
    >> I will look at HP site to check. If need be I can always d/l it to a disc
    >> and bring it over there.
    >>
    >> "JM" wrote in message
    >> news:dtSdnRcvdPhZVgnenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >> > Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update
    >> > for
    >> > the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    >> > write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

  10. Re: DVD Won't write

    In taht case, just have her call HP Tech support. It should still be under
    warranty so let HP fix the problem.

    Dewaine

    Larry Mauriello wrote:

    > Thanks for the *thought*. Trust me it Is a DVD +/- burner. Thganks
    > anyway.

  11. Re: DVD Won't write

    Copying only works if the DVD (or CD-RW) disk is a read-write and the drive
    supports rewritable DVDs. With write-once media, you need to use either the DVD
    burning software delivered with the computer or some similar software. May I
    suggest CDBurnerXPPro, a free and very servicable program to record on CDs and
    DVDs? ... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:39:22 GMT, "Larry Mauriello"
    wrote:

    >"craigm" wrote in message
    >> JM wrote:

    >>> Suggest you go to HP's website and see if there is a firmware update for
    >>> the drive. When I purchased my HP mediacenter PC the DVD drive wouldn't
    >>> write to DVD's until I upgraded the firmware.

    >> The cd creator software wants DVD+R or DVD-R. DVD+RW will not work.
    >>
    >> craigm

    >Oh for crying out loud. Why wouldn't the stupid program say that. So there
    >may actually be nothing wrong w/the pc.
    >But then why couldn't I copy a Word doc to the DVD?

  12. Re: DVD Won't write

    To determine the make and model of the drive, go to Control Panel, click the
    System icon, then the Device Manager button. You will see a list of hardware
    device types. Click the (+) next to the entry for CD/DVD drives. RSVP with the
    make and model of the drive... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:41:42 GMT, "Larry Mauriello"
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the *thought*. Trust me it Is a DVD +/- burner. Thganks
    >anyway.
    >
    >"Dewaine Chan" <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >news:Zy6lf.1798$7b4.664420@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
    >> Before your drain yourself in the "Free Life Time Tech support", are you
    >> sure it
    >> is a DVD Writer that comes with the system, not a simple DVD & CDRW combo
    >> drive
    >> which means it will play DVD and write music&data but not DVD> Just a
    >> thought.
    >>
    >> Dewaine
    >>
    >> Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did think of going to the HP site, but I can't convince her to go to
    >>> DSL.
    >>> I did a driver lookup in Device Mgr. and came up empty.
    >>> In all honesty I try not to tinker w/her machine. I don't need to be
    >>> making
    >>> daily housecalls...lol
    >>>
    >>> I will look at HP site to check. If need be I can always d/l it to a disc
    >>> and bring it over there.
    >>>
    >>> "JM" wrote in message
    >>> news:dtSdnRcvdPhZVgnenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

  13. Re: DVD Won't write

    I don't see her every day. She also doesn't see well enough to follow
    directions like that to get the info to me.
    PC is only 3 mos. old so worse case she figures to bring it back to CompUSA
    after the holliday's.
    Maybe now you can see what I am up against.

    Mind you she was only looking to burn the DVD's to create the HP Recovery
    discs. That is what started this whole thing.

    wrote in message
    > To determine the make and model of the drive, go to Control Panel, click
    > the
    > System icon, then the Device Manager button. You will see a list of
    > hardware
    > device types. Click the (+) next to the entry for CD/DVD drives. RSVP
    > with the
    > make and model of the drive... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:41:42 GMT, "Larry Mauriello"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for the *thought*. Trust me it Is a DVD +/- burner. Thganks
    >>anyway.
    >>
    >>"Dewaine Chan" <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>news:Zy6lf.1798$7b4.664420@twister.southeast.rr.co m...
    >>> Before your drain yourself in the "Free Life Time Tech support", are you
    >>> sure it
    >>> is a DVD Writer that comes with the system, not a simple DVD & CDRW
    >>> combo
    >>> drive
    >>> which means it will play DVD and write music&data but not DVD> Just a
    >>> thought.
    >>>
    >>> Dewaine

  14. Re: DVD Won't write

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > I don't see her every day. She also doesn't see well enough to follow
    > directions like that to get the info to me.
    > PC is only 3 mos. old so worse case she figures to bring it back to CompUSA
    > after the holliday's.
    > Maybe now you can see what I am up against.
    >
    > Mind you she was only looking to burn the DVD's to create the HP Recovery
    > discs. That is what started this whole thing.
    >
    > wrote in message
    >
    >>To determine the make and model of the drive, go to Control Panel, click
    >>the
    >>System icon, then the Device Manager button. You will see a list of
    >>hardware
    >>device types. Click the (+) next to the entry for CD/DVD drives. RSVP
    >>with the
    >>make and model of the drive... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:41:42 GMT, "Larry Mauriello"
    >>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks for the *thought*. Trust me it Is a DVD +/- burner. Thganks
    >>>anyway.
    >>>
    >>>"Dewaine Chan" <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>>news:Zy6lf.1798$7b4.664420@twister.southeast.rr.co m...

    From the HP website:

    QUESTION: Why are rewritable discs unable to be used when making
    Recovery CDs or DVDs?
    ANSWER: Only one set of discs can be created. DVD+R or CD-R media must
    be used to prevent the possibility of successfully creating another disc
    over a previously copied disc, thus ruining the set of discs.

    You can only use DVD+R

    Geek

  15. Re: DVD Won't write

    I did see that too. Hadn't tried it yet. Her ranting question is why IF I
    created a Recovery CD when she unpacked the pc is she being *Reminded* to
    create resuce discs. And also why if the program says it could take 13 CD's
    did it only use 1. (Not sure if I used CD-R, but I think so. And a/p what
    you just pointed out I must have).

    "Rick Cairnes" wrote in message
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >> I don't see her every day. She also doesn't see well enough to follow
    >> directions like that to get the info to me.
    >> PC is only 3 mos. old so worse case she figures to bring it back to
    >> CompUSA after the holliday's.
    >> Maybe now you can see what I am up against.
    >>
    >> Mind you she was only looking to burn the DVD's to create the HP Recovery
    >> discs. That is what started this whole thing.
    >>
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>To determine the make and model of the drive, go to Control Panel, click
    >>>the
    >>>System icon, then the Device Manager button. You will see a list of
    >>>hardware
    >>>device types. Click the (+) next to the entry for CD/DVD drives. RSVP
    >>>with the
    >>>make and model of the drive... Ben Myers

    > From the HP website:
    >
    > QUESTION: Why are rewritable discs unable to be used when making Recovery
    > CDs or DVDs?
    > ANSWER: Only one set of discs can be created. DVD+R or CD-R media must be
    > used to prevent the possibility of successfully creating another disc over
    > a previously copied disc, thus ruining the set of discs.
    >
    > You can only use DVD+R
    >
    > Geek

  16. Re: DVD Won't write

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > I did see that too. Hadn't tried it yet. Her ranting question is why IF I
    > created a Recovery CD when she unpacked the pc is she being *Reminded* to
    > create resuce discs. And also why if the program says it could take 13 CD's
    > did it only use 1. (Not sure if I used CD-R, but I think so. And a/p what
    > you just pointed out I must have).

    You made the tools CD which is a single CD.

    You have not made the recovery set. The PC is correctly reminding you to
    do so.

    craigm

  17. Re: DVD Won't write

    I kind of figured that. But funny this is I Did create some sort of Restore
    Disc. I even labeled it so.
    I also thought 1 CD was real odd, but that is all it did. So I was thinking
    maybe....
    But she tried CDRW and it wouldn't go wither. But at least Now I do know for
    CD's she'd need CD-R's
    I'll have to get a few CDR over the wkend and try it.
    I just kind of dread working on her machine, b/c if she has the slightest
    prob. w/her ISP (ATT Dailup)
    I get *accsued* of messing something up.

    "craigm" wrote in message
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >> I did see that too. Hadn't tried it yet. Her ranting question is why IF I
    >> created a Recovery CD when she unpacked the pc is she being *Reminded* to
    >> create resuce discs. And also why if the program says it could take 13
    >> CD's did it only use 1. (Not sure if I used CD-R, but I think so. And a/p
    >> what you just pointed out I must have).
    >>

    > You made the tools CD which is a single CD.
    >
    > You have not made the recovery set. The PC is correctly reminding you to
    > do so.
    >
    > craigm

+ Reply to Thread