HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110 - Hewlett Packard ; Hi there, I wanted to ask, since all of the above HP printers seems to share the same print engine, (with separate print heads and cartridges) when the print heads (And cartridges) have run down, does the driver stop you ...

  1. HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110

    Hi there,

    I wanted to ask, since all of the above HP printers seems to share the
    same print engine,
    (with separate print heads and cartridges) when the print heads (And
    cartridges) have run down, does the driver stop you from printing, or
    does it merely warn you? or does it behave differently for the heads
    and cartridges?
    I'm especially interested in the Heads behaviour. (I want to use this
    printer for high volumes 50% average coverage)

    thanks

  2. Re: HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110

    Depending on the volume, in pages per month, you may be better off with a color
    LaserJet (or other brand of color laser)... Ben Myers

    On 1 Dec 2005 19:30:58 -0800, developmental2@walla.com wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I wanted to ask, since all of the above HP printers seems to share the
    >same print engine,
    >(with separate print heads and cartridges) when the print heads (And
    >cartridges) have run down, does the driver stop you from printing, or
    >does it merely warn you? or does it behave differently for the heads
    >and cartridges?
    >I'm especially interested in the Heads behaviour. (I want to use this
    >printer for high volumes 50% average coverage)
    >

    >thanks

  3. Re: HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110

    skrev i en meddelelse
    news:1133494258.225260.306240@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

    > I wanted to ask, since all of the above HP printers seems to share the
    > same print engine,
    > (with separate print heads and cartridges) when the print heads (And
    > cartridges) have run down, does the driver stop you from printing, or
    > does it merely warn you? or does it behave differently for the heads
    > and cartridges?
    > I'm especially interested in the Heads behaviour. (I want to use this
    > printer for high volumes 50% average coverage)

    The printers will stop printing, if it finds a faulty/worn out printhead/ink
    tank. Altough they are relatively cheap on consumables, they are not hassle
    free to use. The annoying paper tray alone on the 1200 and 9100 series would
    make me look for something else - especially with high volume printing. I'd
    highly recommend a Color Laserjet instead. We have some customers, who
    initially opted for the cheap 1100/1200 series, but quickly exchanged it for
    3500 series printers (these are soon being replaced by the 3600 series). The
    BI2800 seems a lot more sturdier, and would in many cases be a sufficient
    A3-printer. A3 Color Laserjets are a lot more expensive.

    As to all-in-one printing, I am curious as to whether there is something
    between CLJ2840 and 4730 on the way. I find the 2840 a too noisy and slow
    (b/w copying and scanning isn't all that great either) for real office use,
    and for many customers the 4730 is too big a solution.

    --
    Esben

  4. Re: HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110

    thank you for your feedback! finally someone dares to comment on this
    subject, I posted numerous times on the HP business support forums
    regarding experiences with HP 9100 Officejet series and got no
    response, which I didn't know how to interpret (otherwise their forums
    are teeming with life).

    curiously enough, according to my calculations, the 91xx series / 1200
    Inkjets from HP would be cheaper than some of the HP color lasers,
    notably the Color Laserjet 3550. Why?
    well firstly, because I have factored in the costs of drum and laser
    element replacement (also called "fuser and transfer kit" in HP jargon)
    by my 50% coverage rate for color, which according to my logic should
    cause 10 times more frequent maintenance costs than when printing at
    the manufacturer's estimates of 5% coverage. Because of this, even when
    using original HP cartridges and factoring in the Inkjet's own
    maintenance cost (replacement heads), the Officejet turns out to be
    about $425 cheaper to maintain per year. I did not calculate costs for
    the new LaserJet 3600/3800 series because their official HP spec pages
    do not mention any costs per page, they only state the cost of color
    cartridges (no fuser/transfer kits are mentioned). I have not heard yet
    of a Laser printer that can work indefinately with only toner
    replacement, so I am waiting to see whether this is a misprint or a new
    bit of technology. In any case, there is still the black/white
    composite printing problem (see below). When I searched for
    "Laserjet 3600" "cents per page" color
    "Laserjet 3800" "cents per page" color
    in Google it found nothing at all- incredible!

    My b/w printing is about 25,000 per year, and the color is about 5000
    per year. color coverage is 50% on average; black- 15%.

    Furthermore, I am looking into using the continuous inking system
    especially designed to the 9100 series from
    http://www.inkbags.com/hpofficejet9100.htm
    it holds 5 times the ink for $340 (black and all the colors), with that
    in mind, the color laserjet's aren't necessarily more economical.

    I have read that color lasers (I don't remember which manufacturer this
    related to) are sometimes (depending on their implementation of color
    laser technology) more expensive for black/white printing than their
    monochrome brothers, because they use composite black instead of true
    black- i.e. they mix the three colors instead of using the black
    cartridge, it just sits there.
    Last month I realized that my printer (HP Officejet G85 multifunction)
    also uses composite black
    instead of cheaper true black when printing photos in black and white,
    even when I specifically tell it to print in black and white. Furious
    about this situation, which I find a challenge to describe in civilized
    forum language, (is there a law that says the printer should print in
    black when so told?), I switched to an older printer driver (deskjet
    850C) which still doesn't have this "Feature" and prints in true black
    when so instructed.

    With these parameters, taking in the manufacturer's claimed cost per
    page and cartridge/toner cost, color lasers aren't necessarily cheaper
    to run, especially when you consider that with my inkjet, which would
    willingly chew even a torn piece of paper picked off the street
    (exaggarating of course) I can recycle used paper and print on its
    other side as well. Laser printers don't allow this since the pages
    band with the heat after inserted once.

    I know they can do duplex. (That is not exactly the same as the ability
    to recycle paper- not all papers in the office come from printers)

    And, when I looked in HP's specifications for its newest Laser printers
    (the 3800 and 3600 series) it does not include estimates

    Currently I use recycled 3rd party cartridges, which admittedly aren't
    (on the whole) much cheaper than buying original HP ones, (the 3rd
    party cartridges I tried, and those were from many manufacturers, cost
    half than HP but on average also print half the yield); but at least
    this way I have the moral satisfaction of not participating in this
    intolerable subsidy of one of HP's largest income sources and their
    research on how to expand it further on my expense.
    I'd even pay more to not be part of it, its worth something for me.

  5. Re: HP Business Inkjet 1200d 1200DN, 2800dtn, Officejet 9110

    by the way, my calculations show the HP LaserJet 3550 costs to be 35.3
    cents per 50% coverage color page, and 8.35 cents for a 15% b/w page.
    The officejet 9110 turns out to
    have 27.2 cents and 8.8 cents in the same coverages, respectively. Both
    include all maintenance costs (drums etc). When using the 3rd party
    9110 continuous inking system mentioned, color costs drop to nearly
    half. (but I haven't used it yet).
    For my existing Officejet G85 the costs are 25.4 and 11.5, but I use
    third party cartridges (in my opinion the difference in cost to
    original cartridges isn't overwhelming, when printing in large quantity
    and considering the annual leakage breakdown that my $400 printer
    sufferes by them).

    When I calculate for 5% coverage in the 9110 formulas I get similar
    costs to the official HP estimates, which shows that my calculations
    are realistic (as long as the HP yield estimates are).

    Note: These are only my theoretic estimates based on Froogle's prices
    for consumables (including shipping and VAT, which is 17% for me) and
    HP's page yield estimates, multiplied by my average usage coverage.

+ Reply to Thread