HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution - Hewlett Packard ; Like many HP Pavillion owners, I find the loose power jack annoying. Recently, my AC adaptor died and was replaced under my extended warranty. The merchant ordered me a new AC adaptor to be shipped in 7 to 10 days. ...

  1. HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution

    Like many HP Pavillion owners, I find the loose power jack annoying.

    Recently, my AC adaptor died and was replaced under my extended warranty.
    The merchant ordered me a new AC adaptor to be shipped in 7 to 10 days.
    Because I could not afford down time, they suggested that I buy a universal
    adaptor for that time period and return it after the replacement arrived.

    The surprise is that the Targus universal adaptor fit snugly, but the
    replacement original equipment adaptor fit loosely like the original.

    It sounds to me like a design problem (or manufacturing implementation
    problem), with the diameter of the barrel plug (hole diameter and outside
    diameter) not precisely matching the diameter of the jack (pin and outer
    brush).

    Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Had anyone else come up with
    a solution? (Of course I have used contact cleaner, but corrosion does not
    seem to be an issue).

    Now I need to decide whether or not to return the interim universal AC
    adaptor, and simply live with the loose connector; or to forgo the $90
    refund and keep the less annoying Targus universal AC adaptor.

    Also, is it worth my trying to get the problem fixed under warrantee, or
    will I just be sacrificing up-time for an unfixable problem? I do not think
    that my power jack is really "loose", but, rather, just a bad fit.

    - David D.

  2. Re: HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution

    David

    Many times a cold solder joint will cause the adapter en
    to overheat and melt the plastic insulating liner inside the tip. Thi
    causes a loose fit and power issues as well. If the replacemen
    adapter tip starts heating up its time to crack it open and rewor
    the jack

  3. Re: HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution

    Thanks, IKenFixIt.

    I am not experiencing any heating up of the jack, but I will now be
    alert to that possibility. The behavior is simply that I have power to the
    PC when the jack is as far in as the PC's case will allow, but no power if
    it backs out even slightly.

    Since there is very little friction to hold it in, a slight movement of
    the PC (e.g., from lap to table), is enough to unseat it.

    My solution is to tape the connector against the PC's case, for a
    little more stability.

    - David

    "ikenfixit" wrote in message
    news:uNgif.40020$Kr.13459@fe08.news.easynews.com.. .
    > David,
    >
    > Many times a cold solder joint will cause the adapter end
    > to overheat and melt the plastic insulating liner inside the tip. This
    > causes a loose fit and power issues as well. If the replacement
    > adapter tip starts heating up its time to crack it open and rework
    > the jack.

  4. Re: HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution (Mystery solved!)

    I was not initially sure why the Targus universal AC power adaptor worked
    better than the original equipment AC power adaptor (both the original and
    its warrantee replacement).

    I now see what I think the problem is.

    The original equipment power plug (barrel connector) only makes contact when
    it is in *all* the way. If it backs out a fraction of a millimeter, it
    loses contact. Therefore, the power connection is quite tenuous, and a
    slight jostling of the laptop will cause one to lose AC power.

    The exposed metal of the Targus AC adaptor plug is 1/16" longer that that of
    the original equipment adaptor. Therefore, the power connection is less
    sensitive to moving the laptop around.

    The solution may be for me to trim the rubber plug housing a little so that
    the jack can penetrate the case a little bit more. If I can also create a
    snug fit in the case hole, it will prevent easy popping out.

    The actual power jack in the laptop is recessed 1/8" from the outside of the
    computer case. This is more of a recess than the other ports.

    - David D.

  5. Re: HP Pavion Loose Power Jack solution

    Correct, and also on the HP ZX,ZV,ZD series? (If you have one of thes
    models). The earlier jack design was a gold plated stamped out hollo
    center positive pin. These are breaking off at the rear and actuall
    being pushed back to not allow contact. This can be repaired as wel
    as the upgraded jack design with a hardwire solid pin that tends t
    overheat and cause a ring-crack and then a faulty connection in les
    ammt of time. HP Has a link to www.laptopjacks.com but the
    overcharge in my opinion, 195.00 plus 40.00 for the return ship. W
    charge 169.00 plus 15.00 for ship and offer a better warranty. Loo
    local as you may be able to fing an electronics shop to do th
    repairs. If they tell you you need a systemboard? Do NOT pay a
    upfront diagnostic fee, Get your laptop, Verify serial number for i
    the BIOS to base sticker and leave. (Thats another story and I wil
    be posting about this corporate repair center w/3 locations later)
    After the Atty. General gets through w/them As well as the shop an
    law student that have both had the same issue on 4 differen
    machines. Good luck and hope we can help

+ Reply to Thread