I having the same problem with lightscribe CDs. I've got a new HP
Pavilion with the HP Lightscribe DVD burner in it (HP DVD recorder
840b) and I was going crazy with TDK lightscribe CDs - none of my
software programs that were lightscribe label capable would recognize
them as lightscibe CDs - "not a lightscribe disk or needs cleaning" .
I've installed HP lightscribe updates but it made no difference. When
I popped in the one HP brand lightscribe CD that came with the
computer - no problem - the label was created with no errors. You
didn't say if the disks you had were HP brand or something else. I
wish I could use these TDK CDs but right now I'm back to a marker for
labels!