HP Pavilion Firewire port help plz! - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion Firewire port help plz! - Hewlett Packard ; My wife has her HP Pavilion (a little over a year old) with her at a research site in South America. She's far from anywhere that she can buy a firewire cable, but she needed one to download from a ...

  1. HP Pavilion Firewire port help plz!

    My wife has her HP Pavilion (a little over a year old) with her at a
    research site in South America. She's far from anywhere that she can buy a
    firewire cable, but she needed one to download from a camera so I sent a
    4pin-4pin (male-male) cable. It fits the camera, but not the Firewire port
    on the Pavilion. Since I'm not there, I can't check out the specs, and I
    don't have her model number here (she's only able to check in by phone
    about once every other week, so I can't wait for her to call and guestimate
    (she's not a techie person). I need to get her a cable that will work, so I
    need to find out what style of port the Pavilion uses. She did say that the
    center piece on the recessed pavilion firewire port was the same size as
    the male 4-pin cable end, so I'm thinking either I need a 4-pin female end
    (which is crazy, because every one I've found online won't fit into a
    recessed slot, the are all recessed themselves), or maybe does the pavilion
    use a 9-pin port? If so, maybe all I need is a 4-pin male to 9-pin
    (female?) cable to send to my wife?

    Help!

    Thanks,
    Keith

  2. Re: HP Pavilion Firewire port help plz!

    Oops, one clarification- I think the model is called Pavilion, but it is a
    laptop- I see other postings here about Pavilion desktops. In any case,
    hopefully someone with an HP laptop can provide a response. My wife's
    laptop is just over a year old.
    Thanks!

    Keith sagely wrote in
    news:Xns971367052A393KeithBC4ReaderTokenI@207.115. 63.158:

    > My wife has her HP Pavilion (a little over a year old) with her at a
    > research site in South America. She's far from anywhere that she can
    > buy a firewire cable, but she needed one to download from a camera so
    > I sent a 4pin-4pin (male-male) cable. It fits the camera, but not the
    > Firewire port on the Pavilion. Since I'm not there, I can't check out
    > the specs, and I don't have her model number here (she's only able to
    > check in by phone about once every other week, so I can't wait for her
    > to call and guestimate (she's not a techie person). I need to get her
    > a cable that will work, so I need to find out what style of port the
    > Pavilion uses. She did say that the center piece on the recessed
    > pavilion firewire port was the same size as the male 4-pin cable end,
    > so I'm thinking either I need a 4-pin female end (which is crazy,
    > because every one I've found online won't fit into a recessed slot,
    > the are all recessed themselves), or maybe does the pavilion use a
    > 9-pin port? If so, maybe all I need is a 4-pin male to 9-pin (female?)
    > cable to send to my wife?
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Keith

  3. Re: HP Pavilion Firewire port help plz!

    I thought I had the same problem. The port on the pavilion laptop has the firewire symbol next to it, so I know it's firewire. But, when I tried to plug in my firewire cable it totally seemed like it did not fit. So, I began to search the web for a 4-pin male/4-pin female cord or a 4-pin male to female converter. Come to find out, after all that trouble, the port is a female port. It was just a pretty tight fit. I'm taking it that you found this out, too, and eventually solved the problem?

+ Reply to Thread