Scanjet 4100 C under Windows XP THE FIX - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Scanjet 4100 C under Windows XP THE FIX - Hewlett Packard ; Posted this in response to a request got no feedback so reposting in hopes of helping someone. Maybe they didn't see my response to their request. THIS IS WHAT I DID AND IT WORKED: HP does not supply a driver ...

  1. Scanjet 4100 C under Windows XP THE FIX

    Posted this in response to a request got no feedback so reposting in hopes
    of helping someone. Maybe they didn't see my response to their request.

    THIS IS WHAT I DID AND IT WORKED:

    HP does not supply a driver for the 4100C running on a Windows XP computer.
    Here is an easy fix for ScanJet 4100c when it won't run under WinXP. It
    utilizes the driver for Windows 2000 and a patch for Windows XP. I have
    done this without problem and it works fine on XP SP1 and SP2. All my
    graphics programs, word processors, etc. recognize the scanner as a source
    when using "acquire image."

    The two buttons on the front will do what they are supposed to do. The copy
    to printer button will work just as before. The copy to monitor (picture,
    jpg) will utilize the XP software so it will look slightly different from
    the HP software you're used to but I like it better anyhow.

    You probably got a very rudimentary fax program with the purchase of your
    4100C. This will not be present with this new fix. If you want to fax
    something, scan the sheets as a photo (they come out as jpg but I convert to
    tif because I think fax stuff has to be tif. You could try inserting as jpg
    and Word likely will know to convert to tif when you tell it to fax.) and
    then insert the pix into a Word file. In Word select File>Send to>
    Recipient using a Fax Modem. I'm using Word 2003 but I assume same approach
    would work on other versions of Word. If you do a lot of faxing, maybe you
    have a dedicated fax program. Recognizing the 4100C in that case is a
    function of the fax program and I can't address that but bet that it would
    be OK.

    1. Download the HP software pack for Win 2000 off (note I said 2000) the HP
    site and save. It is file sj398en.exe 1/1 (24.66M) and is located at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=58394&os=181
    (or by searching www.hp.com and searching for drivers for the 4100C and
    choosing one for Windows 2000)

    2. Download the the WinXP driver update and save. Note this is the XP
    driver update and is file sj653mu.exe and is located at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=sj653mu
    Be sure you use this and not any other XP fixes.

    3. Do the usual stuff prior to installing things like defrag, virus free,
    no programs in background, etc.

    4. I like to turn off and reboot prior to installing and also, with XP you
    can make a system restore point before doing any of this although I don't
    think you will cause any problems.

    5.. Disconnect the scanner from the USB port and from AC power. Reboot. (I
    know; this is BACKWARDS from just about every USB device install you've done
    before...)

    3. Install the Win2000 software pack. This should go into C:\SCANJET At
    the end of the install, you'll be told you must reboot. Cancel out of the
    program and go to the next step. (Don't try to start the program and don't
    reboot FROM HERE.)

    4. Place the WinXP update in the same folder that the service pack installed
    to (C:\SCANJET on my computer and not under any of the sub-directories that
    may have been created.) Run it

    ..

    5. Now, reboot. After you're *fully* up and running, plug in the AC power
    cord for the scanner, then plug in the USB cable for the scanner. If you
    have your speakers on, you'll hear the lovely "donk-DINK" of XP recognizing
    the scanner.

    6. HP PrecisionScan LT will appear in your start menu. Fire it up and you're
    good to go!

    THE SOFTWARE PACK FOR WIN 2000 IS sj398en.exe 1/1 (24.66M)

    THE winXP DRIVER UPDATE IS sj653mu.exe

    I would appreciate your replying back to the group to let me know how things
    went. I would also like to acknowledge and thank some anonymous person who
    went by "The Wolf" and posted this fix somewhere on the internet where I
    found it.

    Chet

  2. Addendum: Re: Scanjet 4100 C under Windows XP THE FIX

    Yes, I got the same response from HP. One of their programmers could
    probably write a fix for this in about 5 minutes. They just want to sell us
    a new scanner. I am disappointed by this. The 4100C does everything and
    does it well for me. I don't think it's expecting too much for them to
    write a couple of lines of code and fix the thing. It's too late for that
    now, I'm afraid.

    Chet

  3. Re: Scanjet 4100 C under Windows XP THE FIX

    Vic

    I got the same Fatal Error message you got. Except when I rebooted m
    computer the scanner worked

    The difference may have been

    I am running XP service pack 1 only. It took me three days o
    talking to Microsoft and the computer manufacturer to get my compute
    to boot after installing service pack 2. I removed all traces of SP
    before I could get it to boot again

    Before I found this fix for the scanner, I had downloaded and run th
    winXP driver update file sj653.exe found on HP's web site

    My computer recognized the scanner, but I had no software to run it

    In a quick and dirty attempt to undo the running of the sj653.ex
    program, I went to the control panel and removed the scanner - wit
    the delete key. ( A quick attempt without having to get into th
    registry

    I then followed the FIX as posted. When I got the Fatal Erro
    message, I rebooted and the scanner worked. I don't know if i
    will work for anyone else or not, but my scanner works.

    Thanks Chet, for the fix

    Roge

  4. Re: Scanjet 4100 C under Windows XP THE FIX

    Roger,
    Glad it worked for you too. It sure saved me a few bucks for a new scanner.
    I did this fix about a yr and a half ago and I can't remember if I had
    similar thing re: inconsequential fatal error corrected by a reboot or not.
    Any how, glad it's working for you. I feel very lucky to have come across
    that fix.

    I do wonder if it can be done under XP SP2.

    Chet

    "Roger in ILL" wrote in message
    news:I3Nmf.39555$p93.16124@fe03.news.easynews.com. ..
    > Vic,
    >
    > I got the same Fatal Error message you got. Except when I rebooted my
    > computer the scanner worked.
    >
    > The difference may have been:
    >
    > I am running XP service pack 1 only. It took me three days of
    > talking to Microsoft and the computer manufacturer to get my computer
    > to boot after installing service pack 2. I removed all traces of SP2
    > before I could get it to boot again.
    >
    > Before I found this fix for the scanner, I had downloaded and run the
    > winXP driver update file sj653.exe found on HP's web site.
    >
    > My computer recognized the scanner, but I had no software to run it.
    >
    > In a quick and dirty attempt to undo the running of the sj653.exe
    > program, I went to the control panel and removed the scanner - with
    > the delete key. ( A quick attempt without having to get into the
    > registry)
    >
    > I then followed the FIX as posted. When I got the Fatal Error
    > message, I rebooted and the scanner worked. I don't know if it
    > will work for anyone else or not, but my scanner works.
    >
    > Thanks Chet, for the fix.
    >
    > Roger

+ Reply to Thread