NC8000 and miniPCI wireless - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on NC8000 and miniPCI wireless - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, I bought a used Compaq/HP NC8000 and I figured out it DIDN'T have any wireless card inside. =( Now I've heard that starting from June 2004, HP BIOSes don't boot if the miniPCI wireless card isn't HP certified. http://www.notebookforums.com/showth...highlight=mini ...

  1. NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    Hi,

    I bought a used Compaq/HP NC8000 and I figured out it DIDN'T have any
    wireless card inside. =(

    Now I've heard that starting from June 2004, HP BIOSes don't boot if
    the miniPCI wireless card isn't HP certified.
    http://www.notebookforums.com/showth...highlight=mini

    I would like to register to this forum, but I don't have one of these
    ISP email account.

    I've checked my BIOS version and it's the revision right after June
    2004. Could someone verify if it's true? Could someone send me a BIOS
    released before June 2004? Here's the revision history (my BIOS
    version is F.13):
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sion/8026.html

    Thanks,
    Deko

  2. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    "Deko" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a used Compaq/HP NC8000 and I figured out it DIDN'T have any
    > wireless card inside. =(
    >
    > Now I've heard that starting from June 2004, HP BIOSes don't boot if the
    > miniPCI wireless card isn't HP certified.
    > http://www.notebookforums.com/showth...highlight=mini
    >
    > I would like to register to this forum, but I don't have one of these ISP
    > email account.
    >
    > I've checked my BIOS version and it's the revision right after June 2004.
    > Could someone verify if it's true? Could someone send me a BIOS released
    > before June 2004? Here's the revision history (my BIOS version is F.13):
    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sion/8026.html

    Having a eariler BIOS is not going to help. "nc" class notebooks never
    allowed non certified cards and stopped the boot process. It was in the
    "nx" and consumer class notebooks that the check was included over time.
    Your only embedded choice is to use a HP certified card... of course you can
    any PC Card that you desire.

    Phil

  3. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    Hey, yes! Go with an inexpensive PC Card (PCMCIA) for wifi. PCMCIA wifi cards
    have the great advantage that you can add an external antenna to boost the
    signal... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:58:03 GMT, "Philip Doragh" wrote:

    >"Deko" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I bought a used Compaq/HP NC8000 and I figured out it DIDN'T have any
    >> wireless card inside. =(
    >>
    >> Now I've heard that starting from June 2004, HP BIOSes don't boot if the
    >> miniPCI wireless card isn't HP certified.
    >> http://www.notebookforums.com/showth...highlight=mini
    >>
    >> I would like to register to this forum, but I don't have one of these ISP
    >> email account.
    >>
    >> I've checked my BIOS version and it's the revision right after June 2004.
    >> Could someone verify if it's true? Could someone send me a BIOS released
    >> before June 2004? Here's the revision history (my BIOS version is F.13):
    >> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sion/8026.html

    >Having a eariler BIOS is not going to help. "nc" class notebooks never
    >allowed non certified cards and stopped the boot process. It was in the
    >"nx" and consumer class notebooks that the check was included over time.
    >Your only embedded choice is to use a HP certified card... of course you can
    >any PC Card that you desire.
    >
    >Phil

  4. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    > Having a eariler BIOS is not going to help. "nc" class notebooks
    > never allowed non certified cards and stopped the boot process. It
    > was in the "nx" and consumer class notebooks that the check was
    > included over time. Your only embedded choice is to use a HP
    > certified card... of course you can any PC Card that you desire.
    >
    > Phil

    I see... thanks for replying. It helps me.

    What do you think of this card? It won't probably work.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5830613124

    I guess I should get that one for a safe bet. XD
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5830893340

    Does 108Mps really worth it over 54Mbps? Are Broadcom cards bad or are
    just good as the Intel and Atheros ones?

    Deko

  5. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    "Deko" wrote in message
    news:LJRff.53881$AZ3.781427@wagner.videotron.net.. .
    >> Having a eariler BIOS is not going to help. "nc" class notebooks never
    >> allowed non certified cards and stopped the boot process. It was in the
    >> "nx" and consumer class notebooks that the check was included over time.
    >> Your only embedded choice is to use a HP certified card... of course you
    >> can any PC Card that you desire.
    >>
    >> Phil

    > I see... thanks for replying. It helps me.
    >
    > What do you think of this card? It won't probably work.
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5830613124
    >
    > I guess I should get that one for a safe bet. XD
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5830893340
    >
    > Does 108Mps really worth it over 54Mbps? Are Broadcom cards bad or are
    > just good as the Intel and Atheros ones?
    >
    > Deko

    Neither of those two cards will work in the nc6000... the Intel card because
    it is a Dell version of the Intel card instead of the HP version and the
    Broadcom won't work because while certified with other HP/Compaq notebooks,
    it was not certified with the nc6000. You should notice that both sellers
    use "may" alot about whether this particular cards will work in YOUR
    notebook.

    Phil

  6. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    > Neither of those two cards will work in the nc6000... the Intel card
    > because it is a Dell version of the Intel card instead of the HP
    > version and the Broadcom won't work because while certified with
    > other HP/Compaq notebooks, it was not certified with the nc6000.
    > You should notice that both sellers use "may" alot about whether
    > this particular cards will work in YOUR notebook.
    >
    > Phil

    The 2nd item doesn't seem to use 'may' and the seller's nick is
    'compaqparts'.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5830893340

    And it's a HP Compaq nc8000 and not an nc6000 btw.

    You are worrying me even thought the label says
    "HP Broadcom 54g Max Performance 802.11b/g Wireless Internal Mini-PCI
    Card - BCM94306MP"

    Deko

  7. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    > The 2nd item doesn't seem to use 'may' and the seller's nick is
    > 'compaqparts'.
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5830893340
    >
    > And it's a HP Compaq nc8000 and not an nc6000 btw.
    >
    > You are worrying me even thought the label says
    > "HP Broadcom 54g Max Performance 802.11b/g Wireless Internal Mini-PCI
    > Card - BCM94306MP"
    >
    > Deko

    What is true for the nc6000 is true for the nc8000 since they share the same
    core BIOS. Yes the Broadcom card will work in SOME HP notebooks, but it
    will not work in ALL HP notebooks. It will only work in those HP notebooks
    with which it was certified, and neither the 6000 or 8000 were ever
    certified with any Broadcom based card.

    Phil

  8. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    > What is true for the nc6000 is true for the nc8000 since they share
    > the same core BIOS. Yes the Broadcom card will work in SOME HP
    > notebooks, but it will not work in ALL HP notebooks. It will only
    > work in those HP notebooks with which it was certified, and neither
    > the 6000 or 8000 were ever certified with any Broadcom based card.
    >
    > Phil

    Grrrrr... so, which cards are known to work on the nc8000?

    I think I'll just resell this laptop and get another one and probably
    not an HP since they aren't fair enough.

    Deko

  9. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    Don't get too frustrated. Simply get a PCMCIA wireless card. Linksys and
    Proxim are brands which I use regularly... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:24:31 -0500, "Deko" wrote:

    >> What is true for the nc6000 is true for the nc8000 since they share
    >> the same core BIOS. Yes the Broadcom card will work in SOME HP
    >> notebooks, but it will not work in ALL HP notebooks. It will only
    >> work in those HP notebooks with which it was certified, and neither
    >> the 6000 or 8000 were ever certified with any Broadcom based card.
    >>
    >> Phil

    >Grrrrr... so, which cards are known to work on the nc8000?
    >
    >I think I'll just resell this laptop and get another one and probably
    >not an HP since they aren't fair enough.
    >
    >Deko

  10. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    > Don't get too frustrated. Simply get a PCMCIA wireless card.
    > Linksys and
    > Proxim are brands which I use regularly... Ben Myers

    And get an antenna in my way not as good as the integrated ones? I
    rather prefer sell this laptop and get another one. But thanks for
    comment.

    Deko

  11. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    "Deko" wrote in message
    news:1btgf.11749$Os4.481611@wagner.videotron.net.. .
    > > Don't get too frustrated. Simply get a PCMCIA wireless card.
    > > Linksys and
    > > Proxim are brands which I use regularly... Ben Myers

    > And get an antenna in my way not as good as the integrated ones? I
    > rather prefer sell this laptop and get another one. But thanks for
    > comment.
    >
    > Deko

    I have a HP W500 in mine and its great, range is just as good if not better
    than the PCMCIA equivalents.

    The W500 is a 54G card too.

    Cheers Dre

  12. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    External antennae are optional with PCMCIA wireless cards. But the typical card
    protrudes from the case, so one generally has to remove it when carrying the
    computer from place to place.

    If you were in the U.S., I would offer to take the computer off your hands.
    There IS some value there, despite the issues with miniPCI wireless. One does
    not throw away the baby with the bath water... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:01:16 -0500, "Deko" wrote:

    >> Don't get too frustrated. Simply get a PCMCIA wireless card.
    >> Linksys and
    >> Proxim are brands which I use regularly... Ben Myers

    >And get an antenna in my way not as good as the integrated ones? I
    >rather prefer sell this laptop and get another one. But thanks for
    >comment.
    >
    >Deko

  13. Re: NC8000 and miniPCI wireless

    LOL on that one Ben! Throw the baby away...

+ Reply to Thread