DAT formating-tool - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on DAT formating-tool - Hewlett Packard ; I'm looking for a free DAT-tape formating tool for an older HP-DAT Drive 35470A I need to format older DAT-tapes, but have lost an older programm. The Win2000 save-program-dialog (system programs) does not allow to format a tape (or ?). ...

  1. DAT formating-tool

    I'm looking for a free DAT-tape formating tool for an older HP-DAT Drive
    35470A

    I need to format older DAT-tapes, but have lost an older programm. The
    Win2000 save-program-dialog (system programs) does not allow to format a
    tape (or ?).
    The free HP-program "hp_ltt35sr4_win.exe", which is to be downloaded by
    the way "HP-DAT Drive 35470A" says when running: "no support for this
    DAT-drive".

    Where can I download a free formating-tool?

    Thanks

  2. Re: DAT formating-tool

    Armin Schulz wrote:
    > I'm looking for a free DAT-tape formating tool for an older HP-DAT Drive
    > 35470A
    >
    > I need to format older DAT-tapes, but have lost an older programm. The
    > Win2000 save-program-dialog (system programs) does not allow to format a
    > tape (or ?).
    > The free HP-program "hp_ltt35sr4_win.exe", which is to be downloaded by
    > the way "HP-DAT Drive 35470A" says when running: "no support for this
    > DAT-drive".
    >
    > Where can I download a free formating-tool?
    >
    > Thanks

    Why would you need to format a DDS [1] tape? A DDS tape does not have
    to be low-level formatted. The LLF is written by the drive while the
    high-level-format/data format is written by the backup/archive program
    in question.

    [1] "DAT" is Digital-Analog Tape and is only used for recording sound.
    DDS is Digital Data Storage and is used for use with computers and such.
    You should not use a DAT tape in a DDS drive (like the 35470A).

  3. Re: DAT formating-tool

    Hi Frank,

    Frank Slootweg wrote:

    > Why would you need to format a DDS [1] tape? A DDS tape does not have
    > to be low-level formatted. The LLF is written by the drive while the
    > high-level-format/data format is written by the backup/archive program
    > in question.

    I want to sell drive and tapes and want to assure that all the data are
    erased.

    > [1] "DAT" is Digital-Analog Tape and is only used for recording sound.
    > DDS is Digital Data Storage and is used for use with computers and such.
    > You should not use a DAT tape in a DDS drive (like the 35470A).

    Sorry, I was inexact. I mean DDS-tapes. Colloquial I know the tape
    "DDS-drives" by "DAT-drives".

  4. Re: DAT formating-tool

    Do you have a large magnet? ... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:49:49 +0100, Armin Schulz
    wrote:

    >Hi Frank,
    >
    >Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >
    >> Why would you need to format a DDS [1] tape? A DDS tape does not have
    >> to be low-level formatted. The LLF is written by the drive while the
    >> high-level-format/data format is written by the backup/archive program
    >> in question.
    >>

    >I want to sell drive and tapes and want to assure that all the data are
    >erased.
    >
    >> [1] "DAT" is Digital-Analog Tape and is only used for recording sound.
    >> DDS is Digital Data Storage and is used for use with computers and such.
    >> You should not use a DAT tape in a DDS drive (like the 35470A).

    >Sorry, I was inexact. I mean DDS-tapes. Colloquial I know the tape
    >"DDS-drives" by "DAT-drives".

  5. Re: DAT formating-tool

    Armin Schulz wrote:
    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >
    >> Why would you need to format a DDS [1] tape? A DDS tape does not have
    >> to be low-level formatted. The LLF is written by the drive while the
    >> high-level-format/data format is written by the backup/archive program
    >> in question.
    >>

    > I want to sell drive and tapes and want to assure that all the data are
    > erased.

    You can rewind the tape, then write anything to the tape, such as a filemark.
    Any data beyond what was written is inaccessible by normal means. It's a
    moderate level of security. On a linux system, you could dd /dev/zero to the
    tape device file, which would be very good security. You can also use
    a bulk tape eraser, but that erases some low-level logs on the tape. It's
    not fatal, but less desirable.

    Tapes have a very limited lifetime, I frankly wouldn't buy a used DDS1 tape.
    Or 2, or 3. Or a used tape drive, either.

    >> [1] "DAT" is Digital-Analog Tape and is only used for recording sound.
    >> DDS is Digital Data Storage and is used for use with computers and such.
    >> You should not use a DAT tape in a DDS drive (like the 35470A).

    > Sorry, I was inexact. I mean DDS-tapes. Colloquial I know the tape
    > "DDS-drives" by "DAT-drives".

    They're the same tapes. The DDS branded tapes supposedly are guaranteed
    to higher standards, and of course cost more. Since the whole DAT thing
    never caught on in a big way, DAT branded tapes are rather rare.

    -Dave

  6. Re: DAT formating-tool

+ Reply to Thread