HP Pavilion a810n fan problem - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion a810n fan problem - Hewlett Packard ; I bought the Pavilion a810n back in June. With the exception that it seems to not allow using a second SATA drive, it's been a pretty good machine. I've added another 512 meg of RAM, a usb drive for storage, ...

  1. HP Pavilion a810n fan problem

    I bought the Pavilion a810n back in June. With the exception that it seems
    to not allow using a second SATA drive, it's been a pretty good machine.
    I've added another 512 meg of RAM, a usb drive for storage, ATI Radeon
    graphics card & TV card. All working quite well. And I repartitioned the
    SATA drive to dual boot XP & SUSE linux (64 bit version). Everything runs
    well with one exception. Recently, the fan started making grinding noises
    starting up when the machine has been off. Letting it run for a few
    minutes, then shutting down & restarting would usually fix it. On
    occassion, I'd then let the machine stay running to avoid further noise
    problems. I did that Tuesday, but when I came home, the fan had gotten
    consistently noisier, although not anywhere near as bad as a dead start.
    And that didn't change with my usual shutdown & restart procedure.

    I'm suspecting that the fan may be going. I'm not familiar with the
    motherboard, so I don't know if the fan will stay running this way for a
    long time or die fairly soon. And, if the fan dies, will temperature
    sensors halt the system or will it just keep running, although hotter?
    Does anyone else here have similar experiences?

    Bill K

  2. Re: HP Pavilion a810n fan problem

    Sounds very much like the bearings in the cooling fan may have accumulated dust
    and dirt. The noise is not a good sign.

    One short term possibility is to get a can of compressed air and blast air onto
    the fan when the system is not running. If that makes the noise go away, you
    are OK for a while. Otherwise, I would look to replace the fan.

    Check your warranty from HP. If still in warranty (or even if not), get the fan
    replaced. Third-party cooling fans, either on top of the processor heat sink or
    attached to the inside of the chassis, are often just as good or better than
    HP's. If the fan is attached to the processor heat sink, replace the entire
    unit.

    Don't mess with fans and ventilation. Heat is the worst enemy of a computer,
    even more so than dust and dirt... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:16:21 GMT, Bill Kraski
    wrote:

    >I bought the Pavilion a810n back in June. With the exception that it seems
    >to not allow using a second SATA drive, it's been a pretty good machine.
    >I've added another 512 meg of RAM, a usb drive for storage, ATI Radeon
    >graphics card & TV card. All working quite well. And I repartitioned the
    >SATA drive to dual boot XP & SUSE linux (64 bit version). Everything runs
    >well with one exception. Recently, the fan started making grinding noises
    >starting up when the machine has been off. Letting it run for a few
    >minutes, then shutting down & restarting would usually fix it. On
    >occassion, I'd then let the machine stay running to avoid further noise
    >problems. I did that Tuesday, but when I came home, the fan had gotten
    >consistently noisier, although not anywhere near as bad as a dead start.
    >And that didn't change with my usual shutdown & restart procedure.
    >
    >I'm suspecting that the fan may be going. I'm not familiar with the
    >motherboard, so I don't know if the fan will stay running this way for a
    >long time or die fairly soon. And, if the fan dies, will temperature
    >sensors halt the system or will it just keep running, although hotter?
    >Does anyone else here have similar experiences?
    >
    >Bill K

  3. Re: HP Pavilion a810n fan problem

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > One short term possibility is to get a can of compressed air and blast air
    > onto
    > the fan when the system is not running. If that makes the noise go away,
    > you
    > are OK for a while. Otherwise, I would look to replace the fan.

    Well, at this point, the noise level has diminished (right now,
    nonexistent). While I was getting varying noise, I left the side panel
    off& gotten down next to the box to locate which ofthe thre fans the noise
    is coming from (cpu cooler, rear panel & power supply). It turns out the
    power supply fan is the offender. Since that's not replacable without
    changing the power supply, could I just add an extrnal fan by the power
    supply fan opening?

    Bill K

+ Reply to Thread