Re: D230 Power Supplies - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: D230 Power Supplies - Hewlett Packard ; Machin Chose wrote: > Robert Klute a ecrit : >> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:00:08 +0100, Machin Chose >> >> wrote: >> >> The most likely cause of failure was someone plugging the units >> into a 208V PDU ...

  1. Re: D230 Power Supplies

    Machin Chose <34cc0e7d0d1a098@3cf0fd4624162b1083cf0fd4624162b108 3cf0fd_sorry_no_spam_really.bzh> wrote:
    > Robert Klute a ecrit :
    >> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:00:08 +0100, Machin Chose
    >> <34cc0e7d0d1a098@3cf0fd4624162b1083cf0fd4624162b108 3cf0fd_sorry_no_spam_really.bzh>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> The most likely cause of failure was someone plugging the units
    >> into a 208V PDU while the power supply was set to 120V. Unlike
    >> every other HP9000 I can think of, the D-Class didn't have an
    >> auto-ranging PDU and the voltage range had to be manually set.

    > This psu, from D class, is manually set, that's right. Unfortunately
    > , as I said, it worked fine the day before; nobody changed it's
    > setting.
    > Any idea ? It's seems really close to any "ATX" PCs usuals PSU. Or
    > is there an 'old HP hardware related newsgroup' more suitable for
    > this kind of questions ?

    Well, there is comp.sys.hp.hardware

    The D Class systems were indeed developed from a "PC Server" chassis
    as part of a cost reduction programme way back when. I would not be
    surprised to learn that the power supply in a D Class was closely
    related to, if not the same as an "industry" power supply from the
    same timeframe.

    I suspect that the first thing to do would be to find the full specs
    for the power supply. The D class are old enough now that their
    hardware manuals may or may not still be on docs.hp.com. Still that
    would be the first place to check.

    However, if you do find another power supply that matches the spec, if
    it is not one with the corresponding HP part number (perhaps
    partsurfer.hp.com could help here) it would be "unsupported" in
    HPSpeak:

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    Given that the D class may not longer be under HW support from HP that
    may be a dont care in your case. Still, just trying to dot all the
    t's and cross all the i's.

    rick jones

  2. Re: D230 Power Supplies

    Try trough http://www.openpa.net/systems/ultralight.html.

    > However, if you do find another power supply that matches the spec, if
    > it is not one with the corresponding HP part number (perhaps
    > partsurfer.hp.com could help here) it would be "unsupported" in
    > HPSpeak:
    >
    > Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    > Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    > Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    > Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    > Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    > Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)
    >
    > Given that the D class may not longer be under HW support from HP that
    > may be a dont care in your case. Still, just trying to dot all the
    > t's and cross all the i's.

+ Reply to Thread