Pavillion - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Pavillion - Hewlett Packard ; I have a HP pavilion, last week the power supply failed, I replaced the power supply but found that when the PS failed it had done damage to possibly the CPU board, now the On/Off witch only turns on but ...

  1. Pavillion

    I have a HP pavilion, last week the power supply failed, I replaced the
    power supply but found that when the PS failed it had done damage to
    possibly the CPU board, now the On/Off witch only turns on but not off, the
    keyboard will not function and the monitor will not work, Do you agree that
    the mother board has failed? would it be wise to fit a new mother board or
    simply buy a new computer?
    Thanks, David

  2. Re: Pavillion

    Depending on Pavilion model and age, either course of action might make sense.
    Which model do you have? Processor speed?

    You might also be able to mount a 3rd party motherboard in the chassis, but
    unless it is a judicious choice, there will be problems with getting the
    operating system to work correctly with the motherboard. If the operating
    system is XP, you will undoubtedly have to re-activate on the Micro$oft web
    site.

    Tell us more... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:52:35 GMT, "David Johnson"
    wrote:

    >I have a HP pavilion, last week the power supply failed, I replaced the
    >power supply but found that when the PS failed it had done damage to
    >possibly the CPU board, now the On/Off witch only turns on but not off, the
    >keyboard will not function and the monitor will not work, Do you agree that
    >the mother board has failed? would it be wise to fit a new mother board or
    >simply buy a new computer?
    >Thanks, David

  3. Re: Pavillion

    Thanks, It is a HPT550A,,, it has a pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 25 6 mb 266mhz sdram
    7200rpm ultra DMA hard drive with windows XP. I would like to get it up and
    running so I do not loose every thing on the Hard drive, (I am not the best
    person when it comes to backing things up) however often jobs like this can
    snowball and it might also turn out that the hard drive has alos failed.
    Thanks for your help.
    David
    wrote in message
    > Depending on Pavilion model and age, either course of action might make
    > sense.
    > Which model do you have? Processor speed?
    >
    > You might also be able to mount a 3rd party motherboard in the chassis,
    > but
    > unless it is a judicious choice, there will be problems with getting the
    > operating system to work correctly with the motherboard. If the operating
    > system is XP, you will undoubtedly have to re-activate on the Micro$oft
    > web
    > site.
    >
    > Tell us more... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:52:35 GMT, "David Johnson"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a HP pavilion, last week the power supply failed, I replaced the
    >>power supply but found that when the PS failed it had done damage to
    >>possibly the CPU board, now the On/Off witch only turns on but not off,
    >>the
    >>keyboard will not function and the monitor will not work, Do you agree
    >>that
    >>the mother board has failed? would it be wise to fit a new mother board or
    >>simply buy a new computer?
    >>Thanks, David

  4. Re: Pavillion

    David, I read your post about the power supply failing on the
    Pavilion. (Followed by the on/off, display, ect.). I don't know for
    sure what the problem is. However, I would encourage you to visit the
    following HP discussion thread. It might assist you to keep all
    functions running properly, if the power jack and supply work are
    maintained as appropriate. (I posted there regarding my problems with
    the Pavilion power jack.) Good luck.

    HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks....

  5. Re: Pavillion

    From what I was able to decipher on the usually obscure HP web site, the
    computer is a micro tower, not a notebook... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:31:19 GMT, no@spam.invalid (KansasUser) wrote:

    >David, I read your post about the power supply failing on the
    >Pavilion. (Followed by the on/off, display, ect.). I don't know for
    >sure what the problem is. However, I would encourage you to visit the
    >following HP discussion thread. It might assist you to keep all
    >functions running properly, if the power jack and supply work are
    >maintained as appropriate. (I posted there regarding my problems with
    >the Pavilion power jack.) Good luck.
    >
    >HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks....

  6. Re: Pavillion

    Yes it is a tower, however it wont hurt to have a look.
    Thanks David
    "KansasUser" wrote in message
    news:X8Pdf.54445$%05.11838@fe06.news.easynews.com. ..
    > David, I read your post about the power supply failing on the
    > Pavilion. (Followed by the on/off, display, ect.). I don't know for
    > sure what the problem is. However, I would encourage you to visit the
    > following HP discussion thread. It might assist you to keep all
    > functions running properly, if the power jack and supply work are
    > maintained as appropriate. (I posted there regarding my problems with
    > the Pavilion power jack.) Good luck.
    >
    > HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks....

+ Reply to Thread