Scanjet 4100 in XP - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Scanjet 4100 in XP - Hewlett Packard ; My apologies if this has been raised before, but I can't find anything about it. Having finally upgraded to a Windows XP system, I am uinable to find XP drivers for my excellent Scanjet 4100c (and the Win 98 drivers ...

  1. Scanjet 4100 in XP

    My apologies if this has been raised before, but I can't find anything about
    it.

    Having finally upgraded to a Windows XP system, I am uinable to find XP
    drivers for my excellent Scanjet 4100c (and the Win 98 drivers CD is
    rejected as "not supporting this operating sysstem"). Before I give up and
    buy a new scanner, does anyone know of a workaround?

    I know a new scanner isn't expensive these days, but the 4100 has been
    perfect for my needs and it seems a shame to have to junk it.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    Windows XP is supposed to have some built-in scanning software. Never used it,
    but it's worth a try.

    The lack of scanner software for Windows XP is typical HP. HP made the mistake
    of creating a zillion different scanning programs, one per scanner model, and
    does not want to spend the bucks to provided a zillion different upgraded
    versions. As a comparison, I have a client with an Epson scanner originally
    connected to an old Mac (running OS 8, which is quite old) via a SCSI adapter.
    The client upgraded to Windows XP Pro computers. I installed an Adaptec SCSI
    host adapter, downloaded the latest Epson scanner software, and the old scanner
    works perfectly in the new environment... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:41:23 -0500, "John Nicholls" wrote:

    >My apologies if this has been raised before, but I can't find anything about
    >it.
    >
    >Having finally upgraded to a Windows XP system, I am uinable to find XP
    >drivers for my excellent Scanjet 4100c (and the Win 98 drivers CD is
    >rejected as "not supporting this operating sysstem"). Before I give up and
    >buy a new scanner, does anyone know of a workaround?
    >
    >I know a new scanner isn't expensive these days, but the 4100 has been
    >perfect for my needs and it seems a shame to have to junk it.
    >
    >Thank you.

  3. Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Windows XP is supposed to have some built-in scanning software. Never used it,
    > but it's worth a try.
    >
    > The lack of scanner software for Windows XP is typical HP. HP made the mistake
    > of creating a zillion different scanning programs, one per scanner model, and
    > does not want to spend the bucks to provided a zillion different upgraded
    > versions. As a comparison, I have a client with an Epson scanner originally
    > connected to an old Mac (running OS 8, which is quite old) via a SCSI adapter.
    > The client upgraded to Windows XP Pro computers. I installed an Adaptec SCSI
    > host adapter, downloaded the latest Epson scanner software, and the old scanner
    > works perfectly in the new environment... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:41:23 -0500, "John Nicholls" wrote:
    >

    >>My apologies if this has been raised before, but I can't find anything about
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Having finally upgraded to a Windows XP system, I am uinable to find XP
    >>drivers for my excellent Scanjet 4100c (and the Win 98 drivers CD is
    >>rejected as "not supporting this operating sysstem"). Before I give up and
    >>buy a new scanner, does anyone know of a workaround?
    >>
    >>I know a new scanner isn't expensive these days, but the 4100 has been
    >>perfect for my needs and it seems a shame to have to junk it.
    >>
    >>Thank you.

    Ben,

    Thank you for your help. I had a look at using the built-in XP scanning
    software, but couldn't get it to work

    Have given up and bought a very nice Canon 8400F scanner.

    John Nicholls

  4. Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    HP wanted to force you to buy another scanner, and you did. Not an HP though,
    for very good reason. Manufacturers only piss off their customers when they
    drop support for perfectly good older products that meet customer needs.

    If your old scanner was an expensive high-end SCSI scanner, you could also
    invest in 3rd party scanner software which works through the Windows-standard
    TWAIN interface... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:43:26 -0500, John Nicholls wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Windows XP is supposed to have some built-in scanning software. Never used it,
    >> but it's worth a try.
    >>
    >> The lack of scanner software for Windows XP is typical HP. HP made the mistake
    >> of creating a zillion different scanning programs, one per scanner model, and
    >> does not want to spend the bucks to provided a zillion different upgraded
    >> versions. As a comparison, I have a client with an Epson scanner originally
    >> connected to an old Mac (running OS 8, which is quite old) via a SCSI adapter.
    >> The client upgraded to Windows XP Pro computers. I installed an Adaptec SCSI
    >> host adapter, downloaded the latest Epson scanner software, and the old scanner
    >> works perfectly in the new environment... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:41:23 -0500, "John Nicholls" wrote:
    >>

    >>>My apologies if this has been raised before, but I can't find anything about
    >>>it.
    >>>
    >>>Having finally upgraded to a Windows XP system, I am uinable to find XP
    >>>drivers for my excellent Scanjet 4100c (and the Win 98 drivers CD is
    >>>rejected as "not supporting this operating sysstem"). Before I give up and
    >>>buy a new scanner, does anyone know of a workaround?
    >>>
    >>>I know a new scanner isn't expensive these days, but the 4100 has been
    >>>perfect for my needs and it seems a shame to have to junk it.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.
    >>>

    >Ben,
    >
    >Thank you for your help. I had a look at using the built-in XP scanning
    >software, but couldn't get it to work
    >
    >Have given up and bought a very nice Canon 8400F scanner.
    >
    >John Nicholls

  5. Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    John,
    I just saw your note, too late, I guess. I had same problem with identical
    equipment. After much, much searching, I found the answer and my 4100C
    works fine with my Windows XP SP1 and after updating to SP2. I'd be happy
    to look up the fix I used but can't remember it off the top of my head but I
    have records.

    It involves downloading the drivers from HP for the 4100C for Windows 2000
    and using them. You then put another file into the scanner driver directory
    (that file was one from HP) and it works. I don't know the exact details
    now but it is easily done......after finally finding out how to do it. Only
    thing that doesn't work is the fax program that came with the original
    scanner. To get around that, I scan the document, save it as picture,
    insert it into a Word doc and then under Word chose file>send to>recipent
    using fax modem and all is well.

    You are right. HP doesn't support the scanner for XP. Someone on some
    forum came up with the solution. Sorry you spent the $ for a new scanner if
    you were happy with the 4100C as am I. It's very good for my use and I
    hated to see it prematurely obsolesced.

    I'll try to remember to follow this topic, if you are still interested.

    Chet

  6. Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    Chet, it maybe too late for John; but it's not too late for me.
    have the same problem. I'm trying to hook up my great 4100c t
    another computer (now a WinXP HP computer). You said, "...but I
    have records." That would really be appreciated if you could let m
    know the exact way you did it--thanks so much. Ka

  7. Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    373Kay,
    Pretty sure I can help. At least it worked for me. Please watch this
    thread and I
    will get back to you ASAP (probably within next 24-36 hrs.). I have some
    family medical problems that need addressed today and will have to delay the
    posting of the solution I found until I can get other things handled.

    Chet

    "373Kay" wrote in message
    news:4oeef.115212$eX4.104543@fe07.news.easynews.co m...
    > Chet, it maybe too late for John; but it's not too late for me. I
    > have the same problem. I'm trying to hook up my great 4100c to
    > another computer (now a WinXP HP computer). You said, "...but I
    > have records." That would really be appreciated if you could let me
    > know the exact way you did it--thanks so much. Kay

  8. THE FIX Here it is for 373Kay or anyone else Re: Scanjet 4100 in XP

    THIS IS WHAT I DID AND IT WORKED:

    HP does not supply a driver for the 4100C running on a Windows XP computer.
    Here is an easy fix for ScanJet 4100c when it won't run under WinXP. It
    utilizes the driver for Windows 2000 and a patch for Windows XP. I have
    done this without problem and it works fine on XP SP1 and SP2. All my
    graphics programs, word processors, etc. recognize the scanner as a source
    when using "acquire image."

    The two buttons on the front will do what they are supposed to do. The copy
    to printer button will work just as before. The copy to monitor (picture,
    jpg) will utilize the XP software so it will look slightly different from
    the HP software you're used to but I like it better anyhow.

    You probably got a very rudimentary fax program with the purchase of your
    4100C. This will not be present with this new fix. If you want to fax
    something, scan the sheets as a photo (they come out as jpg but I convert to
    tif because I think fax stuff has to be tif. You could try inserting as jpg
    and Word likely will know to convert to tif when you tell it to fax.) and
    then insert the pix into a Word file. In Word select File>Send to>
    Recipient using a Fax Modem. I'm using Word 2003 but I assume same approach
    would work on other versions of Word. If you do a lot of faxing, maybe you
    have a dedicated fax program. Recognizing the 4100C in that case is a
    function of the fax program and I can't address that but bet that it would
    be OK.

    1. Download the HP software pack for Win 2000 off (note I said 2000) the HP
    site and save. It is file sj398en.exe 1/1 (24.66M) and is located at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=58394&os=181
    (or by searching www.hp.com and searching for drivers for the 4100C and
    choosing one for Windows 2000)

    2. Download the the WinXP driver update and save. Note this is the XP
    driver update and is file sj653mu.exe and is located at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=sj653mu
    Be sure you use this and not any other XP fixes.

    3. Do the usual stuff prior to installing things like defrag, virus free,
    no programs in background, etc.

    4. I like to turn off and reboot prior to installing and also, with XP you
    can make a system restore point before doing any of this although I don't
    think you will cause any problems.

    5.. Disconnect the scanner from the USB port and from AC power. Reboot. (I
    know; this is BACKWARDS from just about every USB device install you've done
    before...)

    3. Install the Win2000 software pack. This should go into C:\SCANJET At
    the end of the install, you'll be told you must reboot. Cancel out of the
    program and go to the next step. (Don't try to start the program and don't
    reboot FROM HERE.)

    4. Place the WinXP update in the same folder that the service pack installed
    to (C:\SCANJET on my computer and not under any of the sub-directories that
    may have been created.) Run it

    ..

    5. Now, reboot. After you're *fully* up and running, plug in the AC power
    cord for the scanner, then plug in the USB cable for the scanner. If you
    have your speakers on, you'll hear the lovely "donk-DINK" of XP recognizing
    the scanner.

    6. HP PrecisionScan LT will appear in your start menu. Fire it up and you're
    good to go!

    THE SOFTWARE PACK FOR WIN 2000 IS sj398en.exe 1/1 (24.66M)

    THE winXP DRIVER UPDATE IS sj653mu.exe

    I would appreciate your replying back to the group to let me know how things
    went. I would also like to acknowledge and thank some anonymous person who
    went by "The Wolf" and posted this fix somewhere on the internet where I
    found it.

    Chet

+ Reply to Thread