My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive - Hewlett Packard ; I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot ...

  1. My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where I
    had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new drive
    out, monitor comes back.

    By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    monitor comes to life.

    What am I doing wrong?

    ND: The little switch on the back of the new drive is set to CABLE
    SELECT (as opposed to MASTER or SLAVE). This is the same as the old
    (replaced) drive.

    Please, can someone suggest something to try?

    Thanks.

    C.

  2. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    You say if the "power connector" is removed from DVD drive the video
    card works, but if you supply power to DVD the vid card dies? Try the
    DVD in another box, it may be drawing to much current for your system to
    provide. Or your powersupply may be too small.

    Chuck wrote:

    > I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    > mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    > all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where I
    > had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new drive
    > out, monitor comes back.
    >
    > By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    > This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    > the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    > monitor comes to life.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > ND: The little switch on the back of the new drive is set to CABLE
    > SELECT (as opposed to MASTER or SLAVE). This is the same as the old
    > (replaced) drive.
    >
    > Please, can someone suggest something to try?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > C.

  3. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    Chuck wrote:
    > I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    > mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    > all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where I
    > had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new drive
    > out, monitor comes back.
    >
    > By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    > This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    > the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    > monitor comes to life.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > ND: The little switch on the back of the new drive is set to CABLE
    > SELECT (as opposed to MASTER or SLAVE). This is the same as the old
    > (replaced) drive.
    >
    > Please, can someone suggest something to try?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > C.

    Your IDE cable is reversed on the new drive???

  4. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    Ken wrote:

    > Chuck wrote:
    >> I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    >> mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    >> all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where
    >> I had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new
    >> drive out, monitor comes back.
    >>
    >> By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    >> This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    >> the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    >> monitor comes to life.

    > Your IDE cable is reversed on the new drive???

    I haven't seen a drive where the ribbon cable wasn't keyed to the drive
    connector in many years. There is no way the OP could have attached the
    cable wrong. It is most likely that Bob I is correct and the power
    supply is failing and/or too weak for the new drive. The next
    troubleshooting step is to swap out the psu for a more powerful,
    known-working one.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

  5. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    In article <1130947575.020622.171290@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Chuck says...
    > I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    > mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    > all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where I
    > had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new drive
    > out, monitor comes back.
    >
    > By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    > This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    > the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    > monitor comes to life.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > ND: The little switch on the back of the new drive is set to CABLE
    > SELECT (as opposed to MASTER or SLAVE). This is the same as the old
    > (replaced) drive.
    >
    > Please, can someone suggest something to try?

    Higher rated PSU. Your PSU is just about coping with the hardware you
    have and the extra load of the DVD-RW is taking it over what it can
    handle.

    --
    Conor

    "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

  6. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    Thanks a lot guys. I think the weak PSU option sounds about right. Now,
    can anyone suggest a good place (in the UK) to buy new PSUs?!

    Cheers,

    C.

    Conor wrote:
    > In article <1130947575.020622.171290@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > Chuck says...
    > > I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    > > mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    > > all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where I
    > > had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new drive
    > > out, monitor comes back.
    > >
    > > By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    > > This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    > > the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    > > monitor comes to life.
    > >
    > > What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > ND: The little switch on the back of the new drive is set to CABLE
    > > SELECT (as opposed to MASTER or SLAVE). This is the same as the old
    > > (replaced) drive.
    > >
    > > Please, can someone suggest something to try?
    > >

    > Higher rated PSU. Your PSU is just about coping with the hardware you
    > have and the extra load of the DVD-RW is taking it over what it can
    > handle.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    > Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

  7. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    Within walking distance? Come on!

    Chuck wrote:

    > Thanks a lot guys. I think the weak PSU option sounds about right. Now,
    > can anyone suggest a good place (in the UK) to buy new PSUs?!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > C.
    >

    > Conor wrote:
    >
    >>In article <1130947575.020622.171290@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    >>Chuck says...
    >>
    >>>I posted something similar to this a while back, but I confused it by
    >>>mentioning other things which I have now eliminated. I have boiled it
    >>>all down to this: If I install my new DWD-RW drive (in the slot where I
    >>>had a plain DVD-R), my monitor stops working. If I take the new drive
    >>>out, monitor comes back.
    >>>
    >>>By "not working", I mean it says "no signal" when I turn the PC on.
    >>>This is n ot to do with the monitor or the connections - when I take
    >>>the DVD-RW drive out, I do not have to touch the coonections, and the
    >>>monitor comes to life.
    >>>
    >>>What am I doing wrong?
    >>>
    >>>ND: The little switch on the back of the new drive is set to CABLE
    >>>SELECT (as opposed to MASTER or SLAVE). This is the same as the old
    >>>(replaced) drive.
    >>>
    >>>Please, can someone suggest something to try?
    >>>

    >>Higher rated PSU. Your PSU is just about coping with the hardware you
    >>have and the extra load of the DVD-RW is taking it over what it can
    >>handle.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Conor
    >>
    >>"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    >>Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

  8. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    >Within walking distance? Come on!

    Well, I was thinking on the web, in the UK. I looked at PC world and
    they don't seem to sell PSUs (on their website). I'm not being lazy,
    honest! Just ignorant.

    C.

  9. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    On 4 Nov 2005 02:31:30 -0800, "Chuck"
    wrote:

    >>Within walking distance? Come on!

    >Well, I was thinking on the web, in the UK. I looked at PC world and
    >they don't seem to sell PSUs (on their website). I'm not being lazy,
    >honest! Just ignorant.
    >
    >C.

    On their 'site, look under "System Cases", "Power Supplies"

    Unfortunately their selection is rather poor, only carrying
    "Jeantech" which appears (from the pictures) to relabel PSU
    from more than one manufacturer- meaning they may just buy
    up excess stock from anywhere so you'd have no assurance of
    what you're getting unless the product does exactly match
    the pictures. For example, their 500W is a relabeled
    Sirtec, aka Thermaltake/Enlight, an older model but it would
    still be sufficient for a modern system. I wouldn't trust
    their sub-400W models with anything and the 400-250W models
    only with an *average* system rather than a higher end.

  10. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    Thanks. Does it matter if I get a 500w PSU when I don't need that much?
    I mean, can these things oversupply? My current one is 200w. I've seen
    this one here:

    http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/...1-B8A27CCABC4D

    It is 350W, and 200 to 350 seems a bit of a jump to me. I'm ignorant,
    remember.

    Cheers,

    C.

  11. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    news:1131114454.308030.82050@g47g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Thanks. Does it matter if I get a 500w PSU when I don't need that much?
    > I mean, can these things oversupply? My current one is 200w. I've seen
    > this one here:

    http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/...1-B8A27CCABC4D

    > It is 350W, and 200 to 350 seems a bit of a jump to me. I'm ignorant,
    > remember.

    Chuck, I build a lot of PCs at work and can recommend the
    'HiperPower' range of PSU's if you want a good budget-priced
    one. For high-end builds, I generally use 'Enermax'.
    It doesn't matter if you get a more powerful (wattage-wise)
    than you need. I think this Hiper one will do you (I've used
    quite a few of these 425W models):
    http://www.scan.co.uk
    quick code: LN7925 (type into search box at top of Scan's homepage.)
    HTH
    --
    Rob

  12. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    try this

    Chuck wrote:

    >>Within walking distance? Come on!

    > Well, I was thinking on the web, in the UK. I looked at PC world and
    > they don't seem to sell PSUs (on their website). I'm not being lazy,
    > honest! Just ignorant.
    >
    > C.

  13. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    On 4 Nov 2005 06:27:34 -0800, "Chuck"
    wrote:

    >Thanks. Does it matter if I get a 500w PSU when I don't need that much?
    >I mean, can these things oversupply?

    No, they only supply what the system needs. It is better to
    have a 400W PSU and use 200W from it, than use 200W from a
    200W PSU as you are pushing the limits of the design and it
    will tend to wear out faster.

    >My current one is 200w.

    I had not come to any conclusion one way or the other about
    whether you need a power supply- maybe, or maybe not- I
    don't know. Regardless, if your present 200W PSU was
    sufficient, you shouldn't need a 500W now. However, it is
    still a bad idea to buy an off-brand generic as you may not
    have assurance the labeled capacity is accurate. In an
    off-brand such as Jeantech, their so-called 400W would
    probably be sufficient, but their 300W, might not be.

    I've seen
    >this one here:
    >
    >http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/...1-B8A27CCABC4D
    >

    >It is 350W, and 200 to 350 seems a bit of a jump to me. I'm ignorant,
    >remember.

    That FSP is same as Fortron or Sparkle. It should be a good
    choice for your system. The one drawback might be that the
    fan (assuming same fan they have used previously) is a
    sleeve-bearing Yate Loon and some have had those fans, in
    those power supplies, fail. That doesn't make it a bad
    choice necessarily, but it does mean that after a couple
    years it would be good to lube the fan. Similar problem
    exists with many budget power supplies, the fans are lower
    cost because of cheaper construction and tend not to last as
    long. More of a problem in higher heat systems thought,
    yours might do fine.

    SInce that supplier has FSP supplies, there may be a few
    others that are also a good value. Sometimes it's even a
    good idea to overspec the supply so that it could more
    likely be resued on the next system. To do that, it would
    be advisable to get something with at least 18A, or higher,
    on the 12V rail(s).

  14. Re: My monitor will not work when I install DVD-RW drive

    In article <1131114454.308030.82050@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    Chuck says...
    > Thanks. Does it matter if I get a 500w PSU when I don't need that much?
    > I mean, can these things oversupply?

    No.

    > It is 350W, and 200 to 350 seems a bit of a jump to me. I'm ignorant,
    > remember.

    No worries. At least you admit it. A computer will only draw what power
    it needs. The PSU can't "force" more into it.

    --
    Conor

    "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

+ Reply to Thread