HELP! Deskscan quetions.... - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on HELP! Deskscan quetions.... - Hewlett Packard ; My father lost his graphics business to hurricane Katrina. Today w got some replacement equipment which included a Gerber graphic machine an emachines computer with Windows XP, and an HP Scanje 4370. After fooling with it, we realize his old ...

  1. HELP! Deskscan quetions....

    My father lost his graphics business to hurricane Katrina. Today w
    got some replacement equipment which included a Gerber graphic
    machine an emachines computer with Windows XP, and an HP Scanje
    4370. After fooling with it, we realize his old system used DeskSca
    II, which was much better for our applications than is the softwar
    that came with the scanner
    If I download DeskScan II, will it work with the Scanjet 4370
    Do I have to uninstall the software that came with the scanner befor
    I download DeskScan II
    Can DeskScan II run alone or does it have to be used in conjunctio
    with some photoshop program
    Is DeskScan 2.9 a better version of II, and does it have all the sam
    features

    Any help is appreciated. Someone set up my dad's old system years ag
    and he is clueless about the whole system, he just knew how to us
    what he had. I don't know any more than he does but am trying to hel
    him out. The guy who sold us the stuff and set it up was doing hi
    first installation for the company and didn't seem to know everythin
    about the system. I did the "online chat" with an HP technician and h
    seemed to know less than I did, which was sad. HELP!!!!!!!!

  2. Re: HELP! Deskscan quetions....

    yzthumpa wrote:

    > If I download DeskScan II, will it work with the Scanjet 4370?

    Seriously doubtful. I suspect DS2.9 only works with SCSI
    Scanjets (and only some older models of those) and the
    4370 is USB.

    > Do I have to uninstall the software that came with the
    > scanner before I download DeskScan II?

    Generally no.

    > Can DeskScan II run alone or does it have to be used in
    > conjunction photoshop program?

    It can run stand-alone and scan to file (or printer),
    but DS2.9 includes no significant image editing
    capability itself.

    > Is DeskScan 2.9 a better version of II, and does it
    > have all the same features?

    2.9 was merely the final version of DeskScan II.

    If the replacement PC has SCSI, or a PCI or PCIe
    slot for a SCSI card, you might look at eBay for a
    direct replacement of the lost original scanner.
    There are some tricks to installing when not using
    the HP-supplied "SCSI" card.

    features?

  3. Re: HELP! Deskscan quetions....

    Thank you very much for the reply. Your help is greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: HELP! Deskscan quetions....

    > It can run stand-alone and scan to file (or printer),
    > but DS2.9 includes no significant image editing
    > capability itself.

    Since what I am looking for is the image editing that DeskScan II
    allowed, (which I'm guessing on our old system was in conjunction
    with photoshop) if we download a photoshop program with the current
    scanner driver system, would that possibly allow us the same editing
    capability we had before?

    P.S. - Please excuse my computer illiteracy. :retard:

  5. Re: HELP! Deskscan quetions....

    yzthumpa wrote:

    > Since what I am looking for is the image editing that
    > DeskScan II allowed, (which I'm guessing on our old
    > system was in conjunction with photoshop) if we
    > download a photoshop program with the current
    > scanner driver system, would that possibly allow us
    > the same editing capability we had before?

    Scanjets using DeskScan shipped with a variety of
    entry-level images editor over the years, none of
    which was full Adobe Photoshop (however, at least
    one of those app providers got bought by Adobe,
    who offered an upgrade, which is how I first acquired
    full Photoshop).

    > ... if we download a photoshop program with the
    > current scanner driver system, would that possibly
    > allow us the same editing capability we had before?

    Because the image editors are licensed 3rd-party content,
    HP cannot provide them on-line for free download.

    The DS 2.9 download contains just the DeskScan app,
    drivers for the HP "SCSI" cards, and the TWAIN driver,
    which allows any TWAIN-compliant image editor to
    scan directly into the image editor (something I never
    do, as I prefer the extra control of scanning to file).