Help setting up an HP zx2000 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Help setting up an HP zx2000 - Hewlett Packard ; Hi all. I'd like to post a query to the relavent groups regarding the setup and install of an OS to an HP zx2000 Itanium based workstation. I have acquired on of these units without the HDD and installed a ...

  1. Help setting up an HP zx2000

    Hi all.
    I'd like to post a query to the relavent groups regarding the setup and
    install of an OS to an HP zx2000 Itanium based workstation.
    I have acquired on of these units without the HDD and installed a SCSI hdd
    on the bus. Problems are twofold seemingly.
    One. On device boot, th econtroller card polls the bus as it should but I
    do not see the results of the poll so I don't know if the drive has been
    detected.

    Two; I would like to get the system booting from CDrom so that I can install
    the OS but this seems to fail also.
    I did get as far as to go to the EFI shell ( which I am not familiar with
    but which seems to be a Unix like shell sitting between the BIOS and OS when
    it is installed) and perform a mount command which was successful. Exiting
    from the shell and attempting to boot from the CDrom failed repeatedly. I am
    told that IDE drives can be installed but woudl prefer to work with SCSI for
    boot purposes and in the event that I do install VMWARE ESX server which
    required SCSI to be the primary drive
    Either way, I would realy appreciate any help I can receive regarding how to
    get going with this unit. If you have any of the original software that
    comes with either this or the i2000 as well as any manuals that you don't
    need or are willing to part with, please let me know what your asking price
    is as I'm sure that from time to time I will need to make references to
    these sources of information.
    Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

    To avoid the spambots, please send replies to adcnw at{cloud9}dotnet

  2. Re: Help setting up an HP zx2000

    Dre wrote:

    > ... zx2000 Itanium based workstation ...

    I can't be terribly helpful, but ...

    > ... the EFI shell ( which I am not familiar with but
    > which seems to be a Unix like shell sitting between
    > the BIOS and OS ...

    EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) *is* the BIOS.
    It was part of Intel's grand plan. There may even be
    a few IA-32/EM64T machines out there with EFI
    instead of BIOS.

    > If you have any of the original software that
    > comes with either this ...

    Never had any, but I'd expect the Linux for it to be
    available for free download.

  3. Re: Help setting up an HP zx2000

    Dre wrote:

    > I'd like to post a query to the relavent groups regarding the setup and
    > install of an OS to an HP zx2000 Itanium based workstation.
    > I have acquired on of these units without the HDD and installed a SCSI hdd
    > on the bus. Problems are twofold seemingly.
    > One. On device boot, th econtroller card polls the bus as it should but I
    > do not see the results of the poll so I don't know if the drive has been
    > detected.
    >
    > Two; I would like to get the system booting from CDrom so that I can install
    > the OS

    Which OS?

    You are aware that media from a PC _don't_ work? The zx2000 works with
    HP-UX (expensive!), Windowsxp 64bit Edition 2003 (terminated by MS),
    Windows 2003 server IA64 Edition (also expensive!), and Linux for IA64
    (from which most are way outdated and barely updated versions)...

    > but this seems to fail also.
    > I did get as far as to go to the EFI shell ( which I am not familiar with
    > but which seems to be a Unix like shell sitting between the BIOS and OS when
    > it is installed) and perform a mount command which was successful. Exiting
    > from the shell and attempting to boot from the CDrom failed repeatedly.

    EFI _is_ the BIOS, you boot the machine from there...

    > I am
    > told that IDE drives can be installed but woudl prefer to work with SCSI for
    > boot purposes and in the event that I do install VMWARE ESX server which
    > required SCSI to be the primary drive

    No VMWARE ESX server. This is an Itanium box, not a regular PC. VMWare
    only works on x86 and x64 (i.e. Athlon 64) systems, but not on Itanium
    (which is ia64)...

    > Either way, I would realy appreciate any help I can receive regarding how to
    > get going with this unit. If you have any of the original software that
    > comes with either this or the i2000 as well as any manuals that you don't
    > need or are willing to part with, please let me know what your asking price
    > is as I'm sure that from time to time I will need to make references to
    > these sources of information.

    The media and manuals that came with the HP i2000 is incompatible with
    the zx2000. Both machines are totally different beasts...

    Manuals can be downloaded from HP. The software (HP-UX or Windows IA64)
    is payware. If your zx2000 has been licensed for one of these ask the
    seller for the media.

    Benjamin

  4. Re: Help setting up an HP zx2000

    In comp.sys.hp.hardware Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    >> I'd like to post a query to the relavent groups regarding the setup and
    >> install of an OS to an HP zx2000 Itanium based workstation.
    >> I have acquired on of these units without the HDD and installed a SCSI hdd
    >> on the bus. Problems are twofold seemingly.
    >> One. On device boot, th econtroller card polls the bus as it should but I
    >> do not see the results of the poll so I don't know if the drive has been
    >> detected.

    Are you sure that the SCSI HDD you have is a) powered and working and
    b) matches the flavor of the SCSI bus on the zx2000?

    >> Two; I would like to get the system booting from CDrom so that I
    >> can install the OS

    > Which OS?

    > You are aware that media from a PC _don't_ work? The zx2000 works with
    > HP-UX (expensive!), Windowsxp 64bit Edition 2003 (terminated by MS),
    > Windows 2003 server IA64 Edition (also expensive!), and Linux for IA64
    > (from which most are way outdated and barely updated versions)...

    Perhaps it is a difference in what is a subjective definition, but I
    would assert that the Linux's available for Itanium are not "way
    outdated and barely updates" Both RedHat and SuSE are up to date, and
    one can also go with Debian

    >> I did get as far as to go to the EFI shell ( which I am not
    >> familiar with but which seems to be a Unix like shell sitting
    >> between the BIOS and OS when it is installed) and perform a mount
    >> command which was successful. Exiting from the shell and attempting
    >> to boot from the CDrom failed repeatedly.

    > EFI _is_ the BIOS, you boot the machine from there...

    From EFI, if you have proper install CD/DVD media, if there is not
    already a boot from removable media option, you can go to the boot
    options menu and add one.

    The systems manual for the zx2000 may still be online at docs.hp.com.
    At the EFI level, the options would be very similar to those for the
    zx6000/rxx2600 so you can probably go with those manuals if need be.

    >> I am told that IDE drives can be installed but woudl prefer to work
    >> with SCSI for boot purposes and in the event that I do install
    >> VMWARE ESX server which required SCSI to be the primary drive

    IIRC the DVD was IDE but I've only ever seen SCSI discs on an Itanium
    box myself.

    > No VMWARE ESX server. This is an Itanium box, not a regular
    > PC. VMWare only works on x86 and x64 (i.e. Athlon 64) systems, but
    > not on Itanium (which is ia64)...

    However, I believe that HP recently announced, and perhaps started
    shipping a virtual machine solution for Itanium called (IIRC) HP VM
    which will be able to do virtualized HP-UX, Windows and Linux (albeit
    with a phased approach).

    I doubt however that it would be "supported" on the zx2000. In
    HPSpeak, there is a difference between "supported" and "works" which
    can be summarized as:

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    >> get going with this unit. If you have any of the original software
    >> that comes with either this or the i2000 as well as any manuals
    >> that you don't need or are willing to part with, please let me know
    >> what your asking price is as I'm sure that from time to time I will
    >> need to make references to these sources of information.

    > The media and manuals that came with the HP i2000 is incompatible
    > with the zx2000.

    Even if compatible, the implied suggestion to not go with i2000-era
    bits is a very good one. There has been a _lot_ of improvement since
    then.

    > Both machines are totally different beasts...

    And in this day and age, the i2000, or anything else based on the
    original "Merced" CPU should be treated as a museum-piece.

    rick jones

  5. Re: Help setting up an HP zx2000

    Rick Jones wrote:

    > Perhaps it is a difference in what is a subjective definition, but I
    > would assert that the Linux's available for Itanium are not "way
    > outdated and barely updates" Both RedHat and SuSE are up to date,

    Yeah, Enterprise Linux. Certainly what someone with a 2nd hand zx2000
    wants ;-) Besides the little thing that IIRC these Enterprise Linux
    versions don't support the zx2000...

    > and one can also go with Debian

    Right, and also Redhat 7.? and also with SuSE 7.?. Debian is the only
    distro that's not a ultra-expensive Enterprise version and that's not
    outdated...

    However, this doesn't solve the problem that there simply is no VMWare
    ESX server for Itanium...

    >> No VMWARE ESX server. This is an Itanium box, not a regular PC.
    >> VMWare only works on x86 and x64 (i.e. Athlon 64) systems, but not
    >> on Itanium (which is ia64)...

    > However, I believe that HP recently announced, and perhaps started
    > shipping a virtual machine solution for Itanium called (IIRC) HP VM
    > which will be able to do virtualized HP-UX, Windows and Linux (albeit
    > with a phased approach).

    Right, but this "solution" certainly will cost at least several times
    what the zx2000 is worth.

    > I doubt however that it would be "supported" on the zx2000.

    It certainly won't work also. From what I heard HP doesn't plan to offer
    the virtualization software for Linux/IA6 or Win64/IA64, only for x86
    and x64 Linux and Windows. And even the HP-UX version is highly unlikely
    to work on any Itanium workstation...

    > Even if compatible, the implied suggestion to not go with i2000-era
    > bits is a very good one. There has been a _lot_ of improvement since
    > then.

    Right. The i2000 is a plain intel OEM box which was sold with other
    labels (SGI, Dell, IBM, FSC etc) as well and which suffered from a buggy
    AGP interface that prevented it from doing accelerated 3D (or in the
    case of HP-UX, doing local gfx at all)...

    >> Both machines are totally different beasts...

    > And in this day and age, the i2000, or anything else based on the
    > original "Merced" CPU should be treated as a museum-piece.

    Well, if anyone in Germany or the surrounding countries has such a
    museum-piece standing around (even defective): I'm interested ;-)

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread