ZV5000 RAM question - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on ZV5000 RAM question - Hewlett Packard ; I recently added a 1 GB SODIMM to an HP ZV5000 series laptop. This PC had 256MB RAM alredy onboard, non-removable. And it had the one open slot for adding a memory stick. This kind of configuration seems common as ...

  1. ZV5000 RAM question

    I recently added a 1 GB SODIMM to an HP ZV5000 series laptop. This PC had
    256MB RAM alredy onboard, non-removable. And it had the one open slot for
    adding a memory stick. This kind of configuration seems common as Toshibas
    also have this.
    Anyway, after adding the 1 GB sticj then memory reads as 1GB rather than
    1.256 MB.
    Is this normal?
    If I had added a 256 stick would it have read 512mb or remained at 256?

    Puzzled

  2. Re: ZV5000 RAM question

    There is likely to be a chipset or BIOS limitation so that the computer refuses
    to count past 1GB. If you had added 256MB, the system would have taken full
    advantage of 512MB... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:25:45 GMT, "James" wrote:

    >I recently added a 1 GB SODIMM to an HP ZV5000 series laptop. This PC had
    >256MB RAM alredy onboard, non-removable. And it had the one open slot for
    >adding a memory stick. This kind of configuration seems common as Toshibas
    >also have this.
    >Anyway, after adding the 1 GB sticj then memory reads as 1GB rather than
    >1.256 MB.
    >Is this normal?
    >If I had added a 256 stick would it have read 512mb or remained at 256?
    >
    >Puzzled

  3. Re: ZV5000 RAM question

    Thanks very much. That makes perfect sense.

    wrote in message
    > There is likely to be a chipset or BIOS limitation so that the computer

    refuses
    > to count past 1GB. If you had added 256MB, the system would have taken

    full
    > advantage of 512MB... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:25:45 GMT, "James" wrote:
    >
    > >I recently added a 1 GB SODIMM to an HP ZV5000 series laptop. This PC had
    > >256MB RAM alredy onboard, non-removable. And it had the one open slot for
    > >adding a memory stick. This kind of configuration seems common as

    Toshibas
    > >also have this.
    > >Anyway, after adding the 1 GB sticj then memory reads as 1GB rather than
    > >1.256 MB.
    > >Is this normal?
    > >If I had added a 256 stick would it have read 512mb or remained at 256?
    > >
    > >Puzzled

  4. Re: ZV5000 RAM question

    I'm currently updating the memory in my year old zv5000, and I could
    have ordered it with 2GB installed. There are two slots on the ZV
    board. One is easy to get to, and the other is on the oposite side
    under the keyboard. Making it a pain to get to. I currently have
    two 256, and I'm upgrading to two 512.

+ Reply to Thread