Just fitted a new hard drive on this Pavillion ze5700ea laptop - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Just fitted a new hard drive on this Pavillion ze5700ea laptop - Hewlett Packard ; Hi, It's a 40Gb drive to replace the old 30Gb one. First off, I just put the drive in and put the XP installation disc in but it thought the HD was about 7Gb and wouldn't install anything on it. ...

  1. Just fitted a new hard drive on this Pavillion ze5700ea laptop

    Hi,

    It's a 40Gb drive to replace the old 30Gb one.

    First off, I just put the drive in and put the XP installation disc in
    but it thought the HD was about 7Gb and wouldn't install anything on
    it.

    I went to the BIOS. The HD is set to Auto. This is a summary of the
    BIOS setting -

    Type: Auto
    LBA Format
    Total sectors 94918400
    Max capacity 48598MB

    I changed to "User" to see what else was there -

    Type: User
    CHS Format
    Cylinders 14335
    Heads 16
    Sectors 63
    Max capacity 7398MB

    then it listed the same LBA information.

    Why is the XP installation seeing the CHS format? Why is this set to
    only 7Gb?

    It's a seagate st9402112a hard drive.

    Thanks.

    Peter

  2. Re: Just fitted a new hard drive on this Pavillion ze5700ea laptop

    Forget that - I put the old HD in to check it's settings. Put the new
    one back and it works fine now! Maybe I didn't push it right in or
    something - though it passed the BIOS HD test utliity. Anyway.

+ Reply to Thread