Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000? - Hewlett Packard ; By any chance, does anyone here know about any good, reliable car adapters that would work with a power-hungry HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop? I'd love to be able to use it in the car on long trips to allow my ...

  1. Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000?

    By any chance, does anyone here know about any good, reliable car adapters
    that would work with a power-hungry HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop? I'd love to
    be able to use it in the car on long trips to allow my kids to watch DVDs,
    but the current battery capacity just doesn't cut it.

    I found the following on the internet:
    http://www.sterlingtek.com/caradforalll.html

    but I have no idea if it would really work adequately (regardless of what
    the company says), and I'm worried I might somehow end up frying my laptop!

    Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

    P. Ruzicka
    Aurora, CO, USA

  2. Re: Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000?

    Instead of trying to find a car adapter, purchase a converter instead. They
    can be found at stores like Batteries Plus, Staples and Office Depot. They
    can take power directly from a car, boat or rv battery or from a power port
    in your car, boat or recreational vehicle. Price is usually around $40. I
    bought one that can supply power to a laptop, television, refrigerator and
    numerous other electronics and appliances.

    "ruzicka" wrote in message
    > By any chance, does anyone here know about any good, reliable car adapters
    > that would work with a power-hungry HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop? I'd love
    > to be able to use it in the car on long trips to allow my kids to watch
    > DVDs, but the current battery capacity just doesn't cut it.
    >
    > I found the following on the internet:
    > http://www.sterlingtek.com/caradforalll.html
    >
    > but I have no idea if it would really work adequately (regardless of what
    > the company says), and I'm worried I might somehow end up frying my
    > laptop!
    >
    > Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > P. Ruzicka
    > Aurora, CO, USA

  3. Re: Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000?

    Sorry...just want to make sure I understand this....

    This converter would plug into the cigarette lighter, like an adapter, and
    from there connect to either the normal power supply or directly into the
    laptop? It would need to do this, if we wanted to use the laptop while
    driving.

    "Kevin" wrote in message
    > Instead of trying to find a car adapter, purchase a converter instead.
    > They can be found at stores like Batteries Plus, Staples and Office Depot.
    > They can take power directly from a car, boat or rv battery or from a
    > power port in your car, boat or recreational vehicle. Price is usually
    > around $40. I bought one that can supply power to a laptop, television,
    > refrigerator and numerous other electronics and appliances.
    >
    > "ruzicka" wrote in message
    >> By any chance, does anyone here know about any good, reliable car
    >> adapters that would work with a power-hungry HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop?
    >> I'd love to be able to use it in the car on long trips to allow my kids
    >> to watch DVDs, but the current battery capacity just doesn't cut it.
    >>
    >> I found the following on the internet:
    >> http://www.sterlingtek.com/caradforalll.html
    >>
    >> but I have no idea if it would really work adequately (regardless of what
    >> the company says), and I'm worried I might somehow end up frying my
    >> laptop!
    >>
    >> Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> P. Ruzicka
    >> Aurora, CO, USA

  4. Re: Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000?

    (1) You can get an INVERTER that takes 12 volts DC from the car's
    electrical system and uses it to make 120 volt AC house current. The
    Inverter has a normal AC wall socket on it, into which you could plug
    the normal household power supply/charger.

    ***OR***

    (2) You could buy an "Auto/Air Adapter" that plugs into the same 12 volt
    car electrical system and directly runs the laptop, completely replacing
    the normal power supply/charger that you use at home.

    Solution (2) is slightly preferable in most regards but will proably
    cost a bit more. The advantages are it's one unit instead of two, fewer
    wires, and the electrical efficiency is much higher (if that matters).
    Also, some household power supply/chargers won't run from some
    inverters, but such problems are relatively uncommon.

    A note on inverters: Their output is limited. Watts = Volts*Amps, and
    the efficiency of the inverter will vary from perhaps 60% to perhaps
    80%. Most auto cigarette lighters are fused at 30 amps, so the most
    that you can draw through the cigarette lighter socket is about 360
    watts (30 amps * 12 volts). If the inverter is 70% efficient, it's
    maximum output will be about 252 watts. That is more than enough for
    any laptop, but as for Kevin's comment about running a refrigerator ....
    you can't run many refrigerators from an inverter plugged into a vehicle
    cigarette lighter or power socket.

    A further comment, the efficiency of the laptop's AC adapter/charger is
    also 60% to 80%. So if the laptop needs 90 watts (15 volts at 6 amps,
    say), and the efficiency of it's adapter/charger is 70%, the
    adapter/charger will need 128.5 watts. If it is getting it's power from
    an inverter that is also 70% efficient, then the inverter will need to
    draw 183.5 watts to power this 90-watt laptop.

    ruzicka wrote:

    > Sorry...just want to make sure I understand this....
    >
    > This converter would plug into the cigarette lighter, like an adapter, and
    > from there connect to either the normal power supply or directly into the
    > laptop? It would need to do this, if we wanted to use the laptop while
    > driving.
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote in message
    >
    >>Instead of trying to find a car adapter, purchase a converter instead.
    >>They can be found at stores like Batteries Plus, Staples and Office Depot.
    >>They can take power directly from a car, boat or rv battery or from a
    >>power port in your car, boat or recreational vehicle. Price is usually
    >>around $40. I bought one that can supply power to a laptop, television,
    >>refrigerator and numerous other electronics and appliances.
    >>
    >>"ruzicka" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>By any chance, does anyone here know about any good, reliable car
    >>>adapters that would work with a power-hungry HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop?
    >>>I'd love to be able to use it in the car on long trips to allow my kids
    >>>to watch DVDs, but the current battery capacity just doesn't cut it.
    >>>
    >>>I found the following on the internet:
    >>>http://www.sterlingtek.com/caradforalll.html
    >>>
    >>>but I have no idea if it would really work adequately (regardless of what
    >>>the company says), and I'm worried I might somehow end up frying my
    >>>laptop!
    >>>
    >>>Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>>P. Ruzicka
    >>>Aurora, CO, USA

  5. Re: Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000?

    So an "Auto/Air Adapter" is really a self contained inverter?. Was shopping
    for my Toshiba this am and its ac adapter specs are Input 120 v @ 1.6 amps
    and the output is 19v @ 3.42 amps. So watts on input = ~192 and output is
    ~ 65 watts. For my setup, the car adapters were $50.

    "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    > (1) You can get an INVERTER that takes 12 volts DC from the car's
    > electrical system and uses it to make 120 volt AC house current. The
    > Inverter has a normal AC wall socket on it, into which you could plug the
    > normal household power supply/charger.
    >
    > ***OR***
    >
    > (2) You could buy an "Auto/Air Adapter" that plugs into the same 12 volt
    > car electrical system and directly runs the laptop, completely replacing
    > the normal power supply/charger that you use at home.
    >
    > Solution (2) is slightly preferable in most regards but will proably cost
    > a bit more. The advantages are it's one unit instead of two, fewer wires,
    > and the electrical efficiency is much higher (if that matters). Also, some
    > household power supply/chargers won't run from some inverters, but such
    > problems are relatively uncommon.
    >
    > A note on inverters: Their output is limited. Watts = Volts*Amps, and
    > the efficiency of the inverter will vary from perhaps 60% to perhaps 80%.
    > Most auto cigarette lighters are fused at 30 amps, so the most that you
    > can draw through the cigarette lighter socket is about 360 watts (30 amps
    > * 12 volts). If the inverter is 70% efficient, it's maximum output will
    > be about 252 watts. That is more than enough for any laptop, but as for
    > Kevin's comment about running a refrigerator .... you can't run many
    > refrigerators from an inverter plugged into a vehicle cigarette lighter or
    > power socket.
    >
    > A further comment, the efficiency of the laptop's AC adapter/charger is
    > also 60% to 80%. So if the laptop needs 90 watts (15 volts at 6 amps,
    > say), and the efficiency of it's adapter/charger is 70%, the
    > adapter/charger will need 128.5 watts. If it is getting it's power from
    > an inverter that is also 70% efficient, then the inverter will need to
    > draw 183.5 watts to power this 90-watt laptop.
    >
    > ruzicka wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry...just want to make sure I understand this....
    >>
    >> This converter would plug into the cigarette lighter, like an adapter,
    >> and from there connect to either the normal power supply or directly into
    >> the laptop? It would need to do this, if we wanted to use the laptop
    >> while driving.
    >>
    >> "Kevin" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Instead of trying to find a car adapter, purchase a converter instead.
    >>>They can be found at stores like Batteries Plus, Staples and Office
    >>>Depot. They can take power directly from a car, boat or rv battery or
    >>>from a power port in your car, boat or recreational vehicle. Price is
    >>>usually around $40. I bought one that can supply power to a laptop,
    >>>television, refrigerator and numerous other electronics and appliances.
    >>>
    >>>"ruzicka" wrote in message

  6. Re: Car adapter fo HP Pavilion zd8000?

    Yes. It has standard outlets to power your equipment. You simply plug the
    power cord into it and off you go.

    "ruzicka" wrote in message
    news:YoqdnW5VSYAGCMDenZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@pcisys.net.. .
    > Sorry...just want to make sure I understand this....
    >
    > This converter would plug into the cigarette lighter, like an adapter, and
    > from there connect to either the normal power supply or directly into the
    > laptop? It would need to do this, if we wanted to use the laptop while
    > driving.
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote in message
    >> Instead of trying to find a car adapter, purchase a converter instead.
    >> They can be found at stores like Batteries Plus, Staples and Office
    >> Depot. They can take power directly from a car, boat or rv battery or
    >> from a power port in your car, boat or recreational vehicle. Price is
    >> usually around $40. I bought one that can supply power to a laptop,
    >> television, refrigerator and numerous other electronics and appliances.
    >>
    >> "ruzicka" wrote in message
    >>> By any chance, does anyone here know about any good, reliable car
    >>> adapters that would work with a power-hungry HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop?
    >>> I'd love to be able to use it in the car on long trips to allow my kids
    >>> to watch DVDs, but the current battery capacity just doesn't cut it.
    >>>
    >>> I found the following on the internet:
    >>> http://www.sterlingtek.com/caradforalll.html
    >>>
    >>> but I have no idea if it would really work adequately (regardless of
    >>> what the company says), and I'm worried I might somehow end up frying my
    >>> laptop!
    >>>
    >>> Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>> P. Ruzicka
    >>> Aurora, CO, USA

+ Reply to Thread