BIOS Upgrade? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on BIOS Upgrade? - Hewlett Packard ; I have an HP-a1030e. It is about 6mos. old. I have recently gotten email from HP Updates w/a link to a file to update the BIOS.. Now 1st it just says click on the link to d/l the file, then ...

  1. BIOS Upgrade?

    I have an HP-a1030e. It is about 6mos. old. I have recently gotten email
    from HP Updates w/a link to a file to update the BIOS..
    Now 1st it just says click on the link to d/l the file, then click to
    install. Now I have never upgraded the BIOS before, but I thought
    I read it shold be backed up first. When I ask HP about it all they tell me
    is if I didn't change any H/W I don't have to worry about a
    BIOS upgrade. Now this is typical of my experiance w/HP tech support.

    Any feedback is appreciated.

  2. Re: BIOS Upgrade?

    Larry Mauriello wrote:

    > I have an HP-a1030e. It is about 6mos. old. I have recently gotten email
    > from HP Updates w/a link to a file to update the BIOS..
    > Now 1st it just says click on the link to d/l the file, then click to
    > install. Now I have never upgraded the BIOS before, but I thought
    > I read it shold be backed up first. When I ask HP about it all they tell me
    > is if I didn't change any H/W I don't have to worry about a
    > BIOS upgrade. Now this is typical of my experiance w/HP tech support.
    >
    > Any feedback is appreciated.

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's what HP is telling you and
    in this case they're right. BIOS updates are for serious problems or
    to support new HW. If you're not having problems then don't do it.
    A botched BIOS update will render your computer useless.

    Check HP's web site, it'll explain what the BIOS update is for.

    /dan

  3. Re: BIOS Upgrade?

    Dan, I apprec. the feedback.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to actually do this. But my quest. to
    them, and all.
    IF you do such an upgrade, is't there a way you are supposed to back up the
    old one Before trying to load a new one?

    At least that is what I thought. It is more than click and go, right?

    "Dan Ganek" wrote in message
    news:tKadnevBTONwmcHenZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Larry Mauriello wrote:
    >
    >> I have an HP-a1030e. It is about 6mos. old. I have recently gotten email
    >> from HP Updates w/a link to a file to update the BIOS..
    >> Now 1st it just says click on the link to d/l the file, then click to
    >> install. Now I have never upgraded the BIOS before, but I thought
    >> I read it shold be backed up first. When I ask HP about it all they tell
    >> me is if I didn't change any H/W I don't have to worry about a
    >> BIOS upgrade. Now this is typical of my experiance w/HP tech support.
    >>
    >> Any feedback is appreciated.
    >>

    > If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's what HP is telling you and
    > in this case they're right. BIOS updates are for serious problems or
    > to support new HW. If you're not having problems then don't do it.
    > A botched BIOS update will render your computer useless.
    >
    > Check HP's web site, it'll explain what the BIOS update is for.
    >
    > /dan

  4. Re: BIOS Upgrade?

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:01:56 GMT, "Larry Mauriello"
    wrote:

    >I have an HP-a1030e. It is about 6mos. old. I have recently gotten email
    >from HP Updates w/a link to a file to update the BIOS..
    >Now 1st it just says click on the link to d/l the file, then click to
    >install. Now I have never upgraded the BIOS before, but I thought
    >I read it shold be backed up first. When I ask HP about it all they tell me
    >is if I didn't change any H/W I don't have to worry about a
    >BIOS upgrade. Now this is typical of my experiance w/HP tech support.
    >
    >Any feedback is appreciated.

    Never install anything using a click-through link that comes via email.

    It's a good idea to check occasionally whether there are updates to the
    BIOS on the manufacturer's web site and also whether the updates apply
    to your machine. Generally, if things are all "working" and the BIOS
    update does not address a specific problem that you are having, it's not
    worth the trouble or the small but non-zero risk associated with
    updating the BIOS. Tech support is correct.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

  5. Re: BIOS Upgrade?

    Larry Mauriello wrote:
    > Dan, I apprec. the feedback.
    > Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to actually do this. But my quest. to
    > them, and all.
    > IF you do such an upgrade, is't there a way you are supposed to back up the
    > old one Before trying to load a new one?
    >
    > At least that is what I thought. It is more than click and go, right?

    As the old saying goes "It depends". Some BIOS's may have a backup
    mechanism and some don't. I only updated an HP BIOS once and I really
    don't remember what backup or restore options there were.

    As another reader said don't blindly follow the email. Go to the
    HP web site yourself.

    /dan

  6. Re: BIOS Upgrade?

    The click-through email may be a spoof with a virus or worm which will mess up
    your computer. Don't do it!

    The only way to update either a BIOS or drivers is via the manufacturer's
    download web site, never with a click-through.

    Rarely, a BIOS update will actually add a feature which someone would like to
    use. An added feature is also a good reason to update a BIOS, provided that the
    feature is something which will actually be used... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:30:58 GMT, Rich Webb wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:01:56 GMT, "Larry Mauriello"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have an HP-a1030e. It is about 6mos. old. I have recently gotten email
    >>from HP Updates w/a link to a file to update the BIOS..
    >>Now 1st it just says click on the link to d/l the file, then click to
    >>install. Now I have never upgraded the BIOS before, but I thought
    >>I read it shold be backed up first. When I ask HP about it all they tell me
    >>is if I didn't change any H/W I don't have to worry about a
    >>BIOS upgrade. Now this is typical of my experiance w/HP tech support.
    >>
    >>Any feedback is appreciated.

    >Never install anything using a click-through link that comes via email.
    >
    >It's a good idea to check occasionally whether there are updates to the
    >BIOS on the manufacturer's web site and also whether the updates apply
    >to your machine. Generally, if things are all "working" and the BIOS
    >update does not address a specific problem that you are having, it's not
    >worth the trouble or the small but non-zero risk associated with
    >updating the BIOS. Tech support is correct.
    >
    >--
    >Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

+ Reply to Thread