Re: HP Proliant ML350 - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: HP Proliant ML350 - Hewlett Packard ; Chris Rennert wrote: > We have that ProLiant ML350, we have 3 Ultra320 36.4gb Hard drives (I > believe they are HP drives). Well, I have a feeling they are running > Raid 0 instead of Raid 1 , and ...

  1. Re: HP Proliant ML350

    Chris Rennert wrote:
    > We have that ProLiant ML350, we have 3 Ultra320 36.4gb Hard drives (I
    > believe they are HP drives). Well, I have a feeling they are running
    > Raid 0 instead of Raid 1 , and I believe that was a reason that when we
    > had a drive fail in the machine another time, it took out windows as
    > well. Is there a way on the ML350 I can view what Raid it is running.
    > With 3 drives I would have a hard time believing they are doing
    > mirroring. Also, if it is running Raid 0 , can I purchase 2 more
    > drives, and run Raid 1 instead? Couple issues, the 36.4gb HD's are only
    > 20 cheaper than the 72.8gb drive. Can I mix and match drive sizes.
    >
    > The raid controller is a "Smart Array 532";
    >

    > Thank you all for any help you can give me!

    Ok, figured more information out. It is running Raid 5, and again we
    have 3 36.4gb Ultra320 disks. In windows, it is configured as one 70gb
    logical drive, partitioned into 2 basic drives , an 8gb, system
    partition, and a 62gb, data patition (C: & D: respectively).

    My issue is 2 years ago, one of the drives failed, bringing down the
    whole system , and from what I understand the Boot sector is not
    protected, and I believe this is why we had to reinstall to recover.

    My thought is to purchase more drives, and migrate to Raid 1, because
    fault tolerance is much more important to us than performance. I am not
    sure if I am missing something, or if there is a better solution.

    I appreciate once again any help you can give me :-)

    Chris

  2. Re: HP Proliant ML350

    "Chris Rennert" wrote in message
    news:435921e4$0$32200$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net. ..
    > Chris Rennert wrote:
    >> We have that ProLiant ML350, we have 3 Ultra320 36.4gb Hard drives (I
    >> believe they are HP drives). Well, I have a feeling they are running
    >> Raid 0 instead of Raid 1 , and I believe that was a reason that when we
    >> had a drive fail in the machine another time, it took out windows as
    >> well. Is there a way on the ML350 I can view what Raid it is running.
    >> With 3 drives I would have a hard time believing they are doing
    >> mirroring. Also, if it is running Raid 0 , can I purchase 2 more drives,
    >> and run Raid 1 instead? Couple issues, the 36.4gb HD's are only 20
    >> cheaper than the 72.8gb drive. Can I mix and match drive sizes.
    >>
    >> The raid controller is a "Smart Array 532";
    >>

    >> Thank you all for any help you can give me!

    > Ok, figured more information out. It is running Raid 5, and again we have
    > 3 36.4gb Ultra320 disks. In windows, it is configured as one 70gb logical
    > drive, partitioned into 2 basic drives , an 8gb, system partition, and a
    > 62gb, data patition (C: & D: respectively).
    >
    > My issue is 2 years ago, one of the drives failed, bringing down the whole
    > system , and from what I understand the Boot sector is not protected, and
    > I believe this is why we had to reinstall to recover.
    >
    > My thought is to purchase more drives, and migrate to Raid 1, because
    > fault tolerance is much more important to us than performance. I am not
    > sure if I am missing something, or if there is a better solution.
    >
    > I appreciate once again any help you can give me :-)
    >
    > Chris

    I may be wrong but I thought that hardware RAID 5 would protect everything
    if one driver failed. RAID 1 should work, but I don't see an easy way to
    change from 5 to 1 without removing the existing partitions, but this maybe
    because I am looking at my server RAID configuration, which is an older
    version. I have a ProLiant 800 with five 9.1GB drivers in a RAID 5 array on
    a Compaq 2DH RAID controller.

    James

  3. Re: HP Proliant ML350

    On the seventh day, Chris Rennert wrote...

    > Ok, figured more information out. It is running Raid 5, and again we
    > have 3 36.4gb Ultra320 disks. In windows, it is configured as one 70gb
    > logical drive, partitioned into 2 basic drives , an 8gb, system
    > partition, and a 62gb, data patition (C: & D: respectively).
    >
    > My issue is 2 years ago, one of the drives failed, bringing down the
    > whole system , and from what I understand the Boot sector is not
    > protected, and I believe this is why we had to reinstall to recover.

    well, unless you prove me otherwise, I don't believe that's the reason. I
    suspect that either you were running no RAID5 at the time or a combination
    of RAID-array and a basic non-RAID partition on an arrayed disk, if that's
    at all possible with your hardware/driver combination. It is nowadays with
    several low-budget controllers, so I don't see any reason why your
    expensive high-profile hardware shouldn't be able to do this.
    Of course, if you were running a RAID5 then, your controller and your
    software should have seen one drive fail and instantaneously and - most of
    all - transparently recover from this crisis by replacing the failed drive.

    > My thought is to purchase more drives, and migrate to Raid 1, because
    > fault tolerance is much more important to us than performance. I am not
    > sure if I am missing something, or if there is a better solution.

    If you were asking me, I'd say there is nothing more secure in terms of
    fault tolerance than a RAID5-Array. ;-)

    > I appreciate once again any help you can give me :-)

    HTH

    Elliot: How do you explain school to a higher intelligence?

+ Reply to Thread