Kernel Panic - Help

This is a discussion on Kernel Panic - Help ; I am not sure what got my Fedora Core 2 into this state, but here's the rundown: 30 day into running FC-2 (anniversary for petes sake!) I discovered that apparently by accidently typing something in a Term window, while root-user, ...

  1. Kernel Panic

    I am not sure what got my Fedora Core 2 into this state, but
    here's the rundown:

    30 day into running FC-2 (anniversary for petes sake!) I discovered
    that apparently by accidently typing something in a Term window,
    while root-user, all of a sudden I now get

    modprobe: cannot execute binary

    when I try to use 'modprobe' for anything

    no matter what I type!

    Not realizing what had happened, I shut down the system, and
    discovered to my horror that rebooting did not "flush out" the
    problem, and in fact now makes it impossible to boot into FC-2

    ---text from boot up---
    * * *
    starting readahead_early: [ OK ]
    applying itptables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.29:
    iptables-restore: unable to initialize table 'filter'
    Error occurred at line 3:
    Try 'iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help'
    for more information [ FAILED ]
    * * *
    | Hangs, but if I press apparently it tries
    | to move along...
    * * *
    Setting hostname linux: [ OK ]
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 1:
    /sbin/modprobe: cannot execute binary file
    checking root filesystem...
    * * *

    If I attempt to Ctrl-Alt-Delete it just hangs there.

    ANYONE have a clue what I might be able to do here
    to recover from this ?

    I can be reached at radsurfer@yahoo.com if anyone
    has any suggestions!

    THANKS

  2. Re: Kernel Panic

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:10:20 -0400, Richard Wagner wrote:

    > I am not sure what got my Fedora Core 2 into this state, but
    > here's the rundown:
    >
    > 30 day into running FC-2 (anniversary for petes sake!) I discovered
    > that apparently by accidently typing something in a Term window,
    > while root-user, all of a sudden I now get
    >
    > modprobe: cannot execute binary
    >
    > when I try to use 'modprobe' for anything
    >
    > no matter what I type!
    >
    > Not realizing what had happened, I shut down the system, and
    > discovered to my horror that rebooting did not "flush out" the
    > problem, and in fact now makes it impossible to boot into FC-2
    >
    > ---text from boot up---
    > * * *
    > starting readahead_early: [ OK ]
    > applying itptables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.29:
    > iptables-restore: unable to initialize table 'filter'
    > Error occurred at line 3:
    > Try 'iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help'
    > for more information [ FAILED ]
    > * * *
    > | Hangs, but if I press apparently it tries
    > | to move along...
    > * * *
    > Setting hostname linux: [ OK ]
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 1:
    > /sbin/modprobe: cannot execute binary file
    > checking root filesystem...
    > * * *
    >
    > If I attempt to Ctrl-Alt-Delete it just hangs there.
    >
    > ANYONE have a clue what I might be able to do here
    > to recover from this ?
    >
    > I can be reached at radsurfer@yahoo.com if anyone
    > has any suggestions!
    >
    > THANKS

    It looks like you somehow corrupted your modprobe executable. (Really, it
    is the insmod executable, see below.) I tried to reproduce this by
    removing execute permission from insmod, but the error message I get is

    /sbin/modprobe: Permission denied

    And this is not the same as your error message. Here are some other
    possibilities:

    1. You broke a softlink. /sbin/modprobe is probably supposed to be a
    softlink pointing to /sbin/insmod.

    2. You clobbered /sbin/insmod with another file.

    3. You clobbered /sbin/modprobe with another file.

    4. ... (you probably get the idea) ...

    I suggest you boot from a rescue disk and take a close look at
    /sbin/modprobe and /sbin/insmod.

    --
    Thomas D. Shepard
    Sorry, you can't email me.