Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? - Help

This is a discussion on Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? - Help ; Hello All, Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from another OS convertible to Linux? Thanks in advance....

  1. Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    Hello All,
    Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    another OS convertible to Linux?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    On 1 Aug 2004 00:55:26 -0700, Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali wrote:

    > Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    > another OS convertible to Linux?

    I don't know what a "seven segment display font" is. Can you find such
    a thing somewhere in type 1 or truetype format? Then it can be used in
    Linux.

    Bob T.

  3. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:55:26 -0700 tarihinde, Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali dedi
    ki:

    > Hello All,
    > Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    > another OS convertible to Linux?

    There was such a font in an earlier version of OpenOffice (or StarOffice,
    I can't remember), but I cannot find it in my OOo 1.1 default fonts
    (Mandrake 10.0) anymore. I guess you should be able to find it somewhere
    in openoffice.org site.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  4. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali wrote:

    > Hello All,
    > Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    > another OS convertible to Linux?

    There is no such thing as a Linux font.

    Styvaen.

  5. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:06:00 +0300 tarihinde, Abdullah Ramazanoglu dedi ki:

    > Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:55:26 -0700 tarihinde, Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali dedi
    > ki:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >> Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    >> another OS convertible to Linux?

    > There was such a font in an earlier version of OpenOffice (or StarOffice,
    > I can't remember), but I cannot find it in my OOo 1.1 default fonts
    > (Mandrake 10.0) anymore. I guess you should be able to find it somewhere
    > in openoffice.org site.

    IIRC it was an OOo or SO bundled in Gelecek Linux, a Turkish Linux distro
    (a RedHat derivative). The fonts might have either come from upstream OOo,
    or been added later by Gelecek. I don't know. But if you can't find the
    fonts in openoffice.org then you must find them at Gelecek. Here is their
    mirrors page:

    http://www.geleceklinux.org/2004/yansilar.php

    The page is in Turkish but layout is simple: There are 4 groups of
    mirrors, each for a different distro version (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0) which
    are clearly indicated as the headers of the mirror groups. The versions
    on which I had used the fonts were 1.1 and 2.0. I would suggest OOo fonts
    from version 3.0 and if there is no 16-segment font in it (most probably
    there is), go backwards to 2.0 so on.

    Unfortunately the mirrors have checked have only iso images, no individual
    rpms. They use synaptic for automated upgrades, and skimming their site I
    couldn't find their mirror addresses for individual packages. Perhaps you
    should mailto:bilgi@gelecek.com.tr and ask for it.

    HTH
    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  6. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    "Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali" wrote in
    message news:548ae7cb.0407312355.9c4ea25@posting.google.co m

    > Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    > another OS convertible to Linux?

    It may be that the PostScript font metrics in
    http://www.fonthaus.com/products/fon...cfm?search=LCD are
    convertible.

    Someone more conversant in such matters than myself would be better able to
    advise you.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for email replies

  7. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:42:59 -0700, ynotssor wrote:
    > "Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali" wrote in
    > message news:548ae7cb.0407312355.9c4ea25@posting.google.co m
    >
    >> Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    >> another OS convertible to Linux?

    > It may be that the PostScript font metrics in
    > http://www.fonthaus.com/products/fon...cfm?search=LCD are
    > convertible.

    Nothing needs to be converted. The Postscript or TrueType version has to
    be installed. Exactly what this entails depends on what distribution is
    being used and specifically on whether one is using fontconfig.

    Bob T.

  8. Re: Is there a seven segment display font for Linux?

    In article <410db4b9$0$35871$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
    > Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:06:00 +0300 tarihinde, Abdullah Ramazanoglu dedi ki:
    >
    > > Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:55:26 -0700 tarihinde, Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali dedi
    > > ki:
    > >
    > >> Hello All,
    > >> Is there a seven segment display font for Linux? Or perhaps font from
    > >> another OS convertible to Linux?

    > > There was such a font in an earlier version of OpenOffice (or StarOffice,
    > > I can't remember), but I cannot find it in my OOo 1.1 default fonts
    > > (Mandrake 10.0) anymore. I guess you should be able to find it somewhere
    > > in openoffice.org site.

    > IIRC it was an OOo or SO bundled in Gelecek Linux, a Turkish Linux distro
    > (a RedHat derivative).

    > Here is their mirrors page:
    >
    > http://www.geleceklinux.org/2004/yansilar.php

    > Unfortunately the mirrors have checked have only iso images, no individual
    > rpms.

    You could download the iso, mount it via loopback, and get the rpms that way.
    Rather a pain (and a waste of bandwidth); I'd try writing them or searching
    on rpmfind.net or freshrpms.net or some similar site first.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN

+ Reply to Thread