vmlinuz - Help

This is a discussion on vmlinuz - Help ; 90% newbie here. I've searched and searched for vmlinuz and details of it command line parameters, what it runs first after loading etc.. Getting totally bogged down with uninformative google sites. Just wondered if someone can give be some clues. ...

  1. vmlinuz

    90% newbie here.

    I've searched and searched for vmlinuz and details of
    it command line parameters, what it runs first after

    Getting totally bogged down with uninformative google sites.

    Just wondered if someone can give be some clues.

  2. Re: vmlinuz

    try "man bootparam"
    that would be from a command line at a terminal.

    e7 wrote:
    > 90% newbie here.
    >
    > I've searched and searched for vmlinuz and details of
    > it command line parameters, what it runs first after
    >
    > Getting totally bogged down with uninformative google sites.
    >
    > Just wondered if someone can give be some clues.

  3. Re: vmlinuz

    Bruce T. Lytle wrote:

    > try "man bootparam"
    > that would be from a command line at a terminal.
    >
    > e7 wrote:
    >> 90% newbie here.
    >>
    >> I've searched and searched for vmlinuz and details of
    >> it command line parameters, what it runs first after
    >>
    >> Getting totally bogged down with uninformative google sites.
    >>
    >> Just wondered if someone can give be some clues.

    Thanks, that seems to have done the trick,
    if there is any more I'll take it!

  4. Re: vmlinuz

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:20:03 GMT, e7 wrote:
    > Bruce T. Lytle wrote:
    >
    >> try "man bootparam"
    >> that would be from a command line at a terminal.
    >>
    >> e7 wrote:
    >>> 90% newbie here.
    >>>
    >>> I've searched and searched for vmlinuz and details of
    >>> it command line parameters, what it runs first after
    >>>
    >>> Getting totally bogged down with uninformative google sites.
    >>>
    >>> Just wondered if someone can give be some clues.

    > Thanks, that seems to have done the trick,
    > if there is any more I'll take it!

    If you have the kernel source you can look at
    Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

    Rinaldi
    --
    Never eat more than you can lift.
    -- Miss Piggy

  5. Re: vmlinuz

    In article , e7 wrote:
    >I've searched and searched for vmlinuz and details of
    >it command line parameters, what it runs first after

    Hmmm, well it's really not run from the command line, but from a
    boot loader, such as LOADLIN, LILO or GRUB.

    >Getting totally bogged down with uninformative google sites.

    HOWTOs:

    80763 Mar 21 2003 BootPrompt-HOWTO
    43309 Nov 5 2000 From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO
    112317 Mar 27 2003 KernelAnalysis-HOWTO
    57243 Jun 22 09:44 LILO
    6166 Jun 7 2000 Linux+NT-Loader
    69815 Jun 8 2001 Linux-Init-HOWTO
    14191 Feb 21 2001 Loadlin+Win95-98-ME
    18850 Mar 13 2000 MultiOS-HOWTO
    7749 Jan 21 2001 Multiboot-with-GRUB
    8080 Apr 26 2001 Multiboot-with-LILO
    74893 May 28 2002 Network-boot-HOWTO

    I'd start with the first two. As far as the Linux Documentation
    Project, the linux-kernel and linux-kernel-internals guides are rather
    dated. You might consider the more recent Pocket-Linux-Guide and
    intro-linux guide.

    >Just wondered if someone can give be some clues.

    Another answer is to "read the source, Luke", but as the current kernels
    are roughly 40 Meg tarballs (_how_ many million lines of code???), that's
    probably not a generic solution for a newbie (heck, it's not even a
    solution for a more experienced guy either).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread