Knoppix CD bootable Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Knoppix CD bootable Linux - Help ; Hi.......I recently aquired a Linux OS that is supposed to be bootable from a CD. You can run the OS without actually having to load it onto your harddrive. I have an HP 533 with a P4-2Ghz 768ram and WinXP ...

  1. Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    Hi.......I recently aquired a Linux OS that is supposed to be bootable from
    a CD. You can run the OS without actually having to load it onto your
    harddrive.
    I have an HP 533 with a P4-2Ghz 768ram and WinXP Home. My Bios is an Award
    version 3.2 . I went into my bios screen and put the CD in the uppermost
    choice above the harddrive. I assumed that the order that the bios looks for
    a boot drive is from top to bottom. When I restart the system though, it
    still boots from the harddrive and loads Windows.
    Is there a setting somewhere else that I need to look for to have the
    system boot from the CD? Please don't tell me I need to rewrite the Config
    file or an AutoBat file. Any help or suggestions will be greatly
    appreciated.
    The following is what my Bios Boot page looks like in case that will help:

    Boot Time Diagnostic Screen
    {Enabled}
    Quick Boot Mode
    {Disabled}

    1. ATAPI CD-ROM {COMBI RW 16x
    10/DVD}
    2.REMOVABLE DEVICE {LEGACY FLOPPY}
    3.IDE HARDDRIVE {ST3160023A}
    4.other boot device {INT
    18 DEVICE NET}

    That is the order I left it in. When I reboot, it does spin the CD a
    little bit but then goes to the HD and loads Windows.
    Now in case the files on the CD could be the problem, let me tell you where
    they came from. I obtained the Linux bootable CD from an on-line version
    of PC World specifically the July 27th 2004 issue. The article was titled
    PC World Upgrade Report. Within that section the exact article is GEEKTECH:
    Run Linux without installing it. In the article, you follow the link
    http://www.knoppix.net/get.php. From there you choose an English version
    download such as: Knoppix v3.4 2004-05-17 EN.iso. You burn this onto a CD
    (it takes 689MB), then set your puter to boot from the CD and voila! ... you
    should get Linux up and running. But of course, so far I have not been so
    fortunate.
    I hope this isn't too much info. for a post....but I didn't want you to
    not have enough info. to be able to help. Any ideas ?
    BlissCat

  2. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:33:24 GMT, "Robert Bliss"
    wrote:

    >Hi.......I recently aquired a Linux OS that is supposed to be bootable from
    >a CD. You can run the OS without actually having to load it onto your
    >harddrive.
    > Is there a setting somewhere else that I need to look for to have the
    >system boot from the CD? Please don't tell me I need to rewrite the Config
    >file or an AutoBat file.

    By the time your computer is reading them, it's far too late.

    >Now in case the files on the CD could be the problem, let me tell you where
    >they came from. I obtained the Linux bootable CD from an on-line version
    >of PC World specifically the July 27th 2004 issue.

    You have to burn the image onto a CD and tell your burning software
    that it's buring a bootable CD. Once you've done that, it should work
    just fine.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Joe Zeff wrote:
    [..]
    > You have to burn the image onto a CD and tell your burning software
    > that it's buring a bootable CD. Once you've done that, it should work
    > just fine.

    [..]

    I've done some cd burning from Fedora with the command line. IIRC it's
    something like:

    1] get files (in this case, it's one .iso file)
    2] put files in /somewhere/iso/
    3] mount ../iso/
    4] cdrecord ../iso/ - ...

    what's the key to making it a bootable cd? is it a trigger in step four?

    thanks,

    Thufir Hawat

  4. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Joe Zeff wrote:
    > [..]
    >> You have to burn the image onto a CD and tell your burning software
    >> that it's buring a bootable CD. Once you've done that, it should work
    >> just fine.

    > [..]
    >
    > I've done some cd burning from Fedora with the command line. IIRC it's
    > something like:
    >
    > 1] get files (in this case, it's one .iso file)
    > 2] put files in /somewhere/iso/
    > 3] mount ../iso/
    > 4] cdrecord ../iso/ - ...
    >
    > what's the key to making it a bootable cd? is it a trigger in step four?

    No don't mount the .iso file in step 3.
    Just burn the CD with the .iso file directly
    and then set the BIOS to boot from the CD first
    and everything will work OK.

    Ask some techie friends if unsure.

  5. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    Robert Bliss wrote:

    > Hi.......I recently aquired a Linux OS that is supposed to be bootable
    > from a CD. You can run the OS without actually having to load it onto your
    > harddrive.
    > I have an HP 533 with a P4-2Ghz 768ram and WinXP Home. My Bios is an Award
    > version 3.2 . I went into my bios screen and put the CD in the uppermost
    > choice above the harddrive. I assumed that the order that the bios looks
    > for a boot drive is from top to bottom. When I restart the system though,
    > it still boots from the harddrive and loads Windows.
    > Is there a setting somewhere else that I need to look for to have the
    > system boot from the CD? Please don't tell me I need to rewrite the
    > Config
    > file or an AutoBat file. Any help or suggestions will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    You don't need any of that. The CD should boot OK if everything is OK
    with the CD and the BIOS has been set to boot from the CD first.
    If it is going into hard drive first, then let it boot up
    and look at the CDROM and see if all the files are there.
    You should see a couple of files in the CD. If you are seeing
    just one file such as "Knoppix v3.4 2004-05-17 EN.iso" then you
    burned the CD wrong. Look up burning iso image files with your
    CD burner software to see how its done properly.

    > The following is what my Bios Boot page looks like in case that will help:
    >
    > Boot Time Diagnostic Screen
    > {Enabled}
    > Quick Boot Mode
    > {Disabled}
    >
    > 1. ATAPI CD-ROM {COMBI RW
    > 16x 10/DVD}
    > 2.REMOVABLE DEVICE {LEGACY FLOPPY}
    > 3.IDE HARDDRIVE
    > {ST3160023A}
    > 4.other boot device
    > {INT 18 DEVICE NET}
    >
    > That is the order I left it in. When I reboot, it does spin the CD a
    > little bit but then goes to the HD and loads Windows.
    > Now in case the files on the CD could be the problem, let me tell you
    > where
    > they came from. I obtained the Linux bootable CD from an on-line version
    > of PC World specifically the July 27th 2004 issue. The article was titled
    > PC World Upgrade Report. Within that section the exact article is
    > GEEKTECH:
    > Run Linux without installing it. In the article, you follow the link
    > http://www.knoppix.net/get.php. From there you choose an English version
    > download such as: Knoppix v3.4 2004-05-17 EN.iso. You burn this onto a CD
    > (it takes 689MB), then set your puter to boot from the CD and voila! ...
    > you
    > should get Linux up and running. But of course, so far I have not been so
    > fortunate.
    > I hope this isn't too much info. for a post....but I didn't want you to
    > not have enough info. to be able to help. Any ideas ?
    > BlissCat

  6. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:11:07 GMT, thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:

    >what's the key to making it a bootable cd? is it a trigger in step four?

    I've never done any CD burning in Linux. Check with your good friend
    man.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    My experience with Knoppix on a Windows PC was not the best - I got the
    CD from Cheapbytes, and it did boot and run, as advertised. However, I
    found Windows slowed to a crawl afterward, and subsequently found my
    hard drive so badly scrambled, I had to run defrag several times to
    straighten it out. To me, the claim that it doesn't touch your hard
    drive is extremely suspect!

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:11:07 GMT, thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:
    >

    >>what's the key to making it a bootable cd? is it a trigger in step four?

    > I've never done any CD burning in Linux. Check with your good friend
    > man.

  8. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    wrote:

    >Hi.......I recently aquired a Linux OS that is supposed to be bootable from
    >a CD. You can run the OS without actually having to load it onto your
    >harddrive.

    For what it's worth, we use Knoppix in an intro to operating systems
    class at our community college. We do that so students can use Linux
    in class but also have a CD they can use to do homework without us
    trying to teach them how to install a dual-boot system at home.

    However, I had some trouble with Knoppix on my home computer. I cannot
    remember exactly what when wrong, but it seems that I could not get a
    file to print.

    I found a number of other distributions available on the Web
    (Mandrake, FreeBSD (not Linux, but still *nix), Debian, and many
    others) and finally settled on "slax 4.0.1" - a Slackware distribution
    made to boot from a CD. It boots up properly and all of my hardware
    works.

    If you get Knoppix to boot from a CD and still have problems getting
    it to work on your system, remember to Google for "bootable linux iso"
    and you'll get a ton of links to places that have distributions other
    than Knoppix. One of them may work better than another on your
    particular system.

    --George

  9. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    Bruce Coryell wrote:

    > My experience with Knoppix on a Windows PC was not the best - I got the
    > CD from Cheapbytes, and it did boot and run, as advertised. However, I
    > found Windows slowed to a crawl afterward, and subsequently found my
    > hard drive so badly scrambled, I had to run defrag several times to
    > straighten it out. To me, the claim that it doesn't touch your hard
    > drive is extremely suspect!

    You must have been given something else.
    Knoppix is free and can be downloaded from www.knoppix.com
    and it doesn't touch your hard disk.

    > Joe Zeff wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:11:07 GMT, thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>what's the key to making it a bootable cd? is it a trigger in step four?

    >> I've never done any CD burning in Linux. Check with your good friend
    >> man.

  10. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, e7 wrote:

    > thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Joe Zeff wrote:
    >> [..]
    >>> You have to burn the image onto a CD and tell your burning software
    >>> that it's buring a bootable CD. Once you've done that, it should work
    >>> just fine.

    >> [..]
    >>
    >> I've done some cd burning from Fedora with the command line. IIRC it's
    >> something like:
    >>
    >> 1] get files (in this case, it's one .iso file)
    >> 2] put files in /somewhere/iso/
    >> 3] mount ../iso/
    >> 4] cdrecord ../iso/ - ...
    >>
    >> what's the key to making it a bootable cd? is it a trigger in step four?

    > No don't mount the .iso file in step 3.
    > Just burn the CD with the .iso file directly
    > and then set the BIOS to boot from the CD first
    > and everything will work OK.
    >
    > Ask some techie friends if unsure.

    I think the you'd only mount the .iso file if you wanted to poke around
    and make sure everythings correct, if I recall correctly. In this case,
    of course, that's fruitless. thanks for confirming the general idea.

    Thufir Hawat

  11. Re: Knoppix CD bootable Linux

    "Bruce Coryell" wrote in message
    > My experience with Knoppix on a Windows PC was not the best - I got the
    > CD from Cheapbytes, and it did boot and run, as advertised. However, I
    > found Windows slowed to a crawl afterward, and subsequently found my
    > hard drive so badly scrambled, I had to run defrag several times to
    > straighten it out. To me, the claim that it doesn't touch your hard
    > drive is extremely suspect!

    Knoppix doesn't touch your hard drive unless you tell it to... and even then
    it wouldn't fragment your hard drive.

    More likely what happened is after using Knoppix, you started noticing how
    slow Windows is and had to go tune it up!

+ Reply to Thread