DNS Quick Question - Help

This is a discussion on DNS Quick Question - Help ; I was wondering, if i have an apache webserver set up, and i Installed a DNS server with the name www.mypage.com [for example], would anyone be able to go to that website, using the name, rather than my ip? or, ...

  1. DNS Quick Question

    I was wondering, if i have an apache webserver set up, and i Installed
    a DNS server with the name www.mypage.com [for example], would anyone
    be able to go to that website, using the name, rather than my ip? or,
    am i not understanding the whole concept of a DNS server?

  2. Re: DNS Quick Question

    On 28 Jul 2004 12:55:50 -0700, trevormcg@gmail.com (trevor) wrote:

    >I was wondering, if i have an apache webserver set up, and i Installed
    >a DNS server with the name www.mypage.com [for example], would anyone
    >be able to go to that website, using the name, rather than my ip? or,
    >am i not understanding the whole concept of a DNS server?

    There's a little more to it than that: you have to make sure the root
    servers know that your server is authoritative for that domain.
    That's done by setting it as the authoritative server on your domain
    records.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: DNS Quick Question

    In article <3a0a05b0.0407281845.6defc678@posting.google.com>, trevor wrote:
    >Then, what is the point of having a DNS server?, i just dont
    >understand, or am i missing something. [any websites you can direct me
    >to?]

    91563 Dec 23 2001 DNS-HOWTO

    Hmmm, it's old enough that it should be on your distribution CD. If you
    didn't install it, go to http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    You want to read section 5.1. Briefly, you can set up a nameserver
    that resolves "www.mypage.com" to the IP address of your server, but we
    have to know to ask your DNS server about that address, and not some
    other. To do this, the resolver parses the name, and (in this case) finds
    that it's a ".com". So it asks one of the root servers, who to ask about
    ".com" names, and gets told to ask "that" server. It then contacts "that"
    server, and asks about "mypage.com". "that" server looks in it's database
    and finds that

    Domain servers in listed order:

    NS27.1AND1.COM 217.160.224.3
    NS28.1AND1.COM 217.160.228.3

    happens to be authoritive for "mypage.com". The resolver then asks one
    of those servers... rinse, lather, repeat. Now obviously, your server
    isn't listed here, so no one is going to know to ask it about your web
    server, and no one is going to find your page. That's another reason for
    domain registration (in addition to avoiding duplication of domain nemes).
    By the way, I got the information about the authoritive name servers for
    mypage.com (which is a real domain located in California, USA) by doing a
    whois query. The DNS query tools (dig, dnsquery, host, and the deprecated
    nslookup) can be told to ask who the authoritive nameservers are as well.

    Old guy.

+ Reply to Thread