lycoris and redhat linux - Help

This is a discussion on lycoris and redhat linux - Help ; Hi friends, Due to a need to learn more about linux, I have decided to buy lycoris linux os. My question is can I have both redhat and lycoris on the same hard disk. Can I create a grub loader ...

  1. lycoris and redhat linux

    Hi friends,
    Due to a need to learn more about linux, I have decided to buy
    lycoris linux os. My question is can I have both redhat and lycoris on
    the same hard disk. Can I create a grub loader which gives options for
    both?
    I once had installed redhat and then mandrake. redhat grub
    loader had then vanished. So that's why I am asking for advice on this
    matter.
    -thank you

  2. Re: lycoris and redhat linux

    git_cs wrote:

    > *****Due*to*a*need*to*learn*more*about*linux,*I*ha ve*decided*to*buy
    > lycoris linux os. My question is can I have both redhat and lycoris on
    > the same hard disk. Can I create a grub loader which gives options for
    > both?

    .... yes

    > *******I*once*had*installed*redhat*and*then*mandra ke.*redhat*grub
    > loader had then vanished. So that's why I am asking for advice on this
    > matter.

    then that means the mandrake installer blew away
    the previous GRUB install. a "smart" distro installer
    would see the other installs and offer entries for them
    ..
    Do what comes naturally now. Seethe and fume and throw a tantrum.

  3. Re: lycoris and redhat linux

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > git_cs wrote:
    >
    > > *****Due*to*a*need*to*learn*more*about*linux,*I*ha ve*decided*to*buy
    > > lycoris linux os. My question is can I have both redhat and lycoris on
    > > the same hard disk. Can I create a grub loader which gives options for
    > > both?

    > ... yes
    >
    > > *******I*once*had*installed*redhat*and*then*mandra ke.*redhat*grub
    > > loader had then vanished. So that's why I am asking for advice on this
    > > matter.

    > then that means the mandrake installer blew away
    > the previous GRUB install. a "smart" distro installer
    > would see the other installs and offer entries for them
    > .

    How do I create this "smart" distro installer.

  4. Re: lycoris and redhat linux

    git_cs wrote:

    >> then that means the mandrake installer blew away
    >> the previous GRUB install. a "smart" distro installer
    >> would see the other installs and offer entries for them

    > How do I create this "smart" distro installer.

    .... most newer, modern, current, distros will pick
    up the other OSes and add them to the GRUB menu.
    if they dont, it's a matter to edit grub's menu.lst
    file to add the new distro
    ..
    Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge, not the fountainheads.

  5. Re: lycoris and redhat linux

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > git_cs wrote:
    >
    > >> then that means the mandrake installer blew away
    > >> the previous GRUB install. a "smart" distro installer
    > >> would see the other installs and offer entries for them

    > > How do I create this "smart" distro installer.

    > ... most newer, modern, current, distros will pick
    > up the other OSes and add them to the GRUB menu.
    > if they dont, it's a matter to edit grub's menu.lst
    > file to add the new distro
    > .

    could you elaborate on how to edit menu.lst? because I am really
    thinking seriously on installing redhat and slackware on my pc. I need
    a backup plan in case the grub loader does not detect both operating
    systems with Windows

  6. Re: lycoris and redhat linux

    git_cs wrote:

    >> ... most newer, modern, current, distros will pick
    >> up the other OSes and add them to the GRUB menu.
    >> if they dont, it's a matter to edit grub's menu.lst
    >> file to add the new distro
    >> .

    > could you elaborate on how to edit menu.lst? because I am really
    > thinking seriously on installing redhat and slackware on my pc. I need
    > a backup plan in case the grub**loader*does*not*detect*both*operating
    > systems with Windows

    .... how about by example? all you would really
    need to do is a "copy-n-paste" of an extry that
    is very close to what you need, then make the
    appropriate changes for the 'kernel', and if
    appropriate, 'initrd' entries. you can modify
    this file with any simple text editor.

    linux:/home/mtobler # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    # menu.lst

    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 1
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,7)/message

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title SuSE 9.1
    kernel (hd0,7)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda11 vga=0x31a splash=silent desktop showopts
    initrd (hd0,7)/initrd

    ### Unknown
    title Gentoo 2.6
    root (hd0,12)
    kernel (hd0,12)/kernel-2.6.7-gentoo root=/dev/hda9

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
    title Floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe
    kernel (hd0,7)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda11 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
    initrd (hd0,7)/initrd

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: memtest86###
    title Memory Test
    kernel (hd0,7)/memtest.bin

    I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.

+ Reply to Thread