The many buttons of the Logitech MX510 and XF86Config - Help

This is a discussion on The many buttons of the Logitech MX510 and XF86Config - Help ; Recently, my relatively simple but elegant mouse stopped functioning properly, so I had to replace it. Unfortunately, the model that I was using has been discontinued for some time, so -- being the gamer that I am -- I picked ...

  1. The many buttons of the Logitech MX510 and XF86Config

    Recently, my relatively simple but elegant mouse stopped functioning
    properly, so I had to replace it. Unfortunately, the model that I was
    using has been discontinued for some time, so -- being the gamer that I am
    -- I picked up the Logitech MX510.

    It's a bit excessive for me, having more buttons than I could know how to
    assign, but it gets the job done. The only real problem is that currently
    there is a lot of duplication in button events -- that is, the mouse has
    ten buttons (including "scroll up" and "scroll down" with the wheel), but
    X only really sees three (and this goes for games where I assign button
    presses). One of the thumb buttons triggers the same event as the middle
    wheel button, the other thumb button is the same as the right finger
    button, the "up" and "down" buttons (which are intended to act the same as
    a scrollwheel movement in most cases, however the Windows drivers do
    distinguish between them and the scrollwheel so they can be recognized
    independently) duplicate scrollwheel functionality and the button below
    the scrollwheel buttons (which in Windows allows for fast task-switching)
    acts like the left mouse button.

    This isn't a serious issue, but it would be nice, for gaming, to have all
    of the buttons recognized independently. Is there any easy way to
    configure XF86Config for this?

    --
    See the documented lies of Pastor Frank: http://tinyurl.com/6009
    http://www.virginiaisforhaters.org/

  2. Re: The many buttons of the Logitech MX510 and XF86Config

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On 26 Jul 2004 02:05:29 -0400, Keenan Clay Wilkie staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I picked up the Logitech MX510. The only real problem is that
    > currently there is a lot of duplication in button events -- that is,
    > the mouse has ten buttons (including "scroll up" and "scroll down"
    > with the wheel), but X only really sees three

    The mouse protocol is probably wrong in your XF86Config file. Mice that
    have more than 5 buttons typically use the ExplorerPS/2 protocol.

    > Is there any easy way to configure XF86Config for this?

    In the mouse section of /etc/X11/XF86Config, change
    Protocol "IMPS/2"
    Protocol "ExplorerPS/2"
    ....restart X, see what you get. You may also have to change the
    ZAxisMapping line around. I forget exactly how you'd change it
    though... groups.google comp.os.linux.x keyword "explorerps/2" for more
    information on that. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!