gnome settings via script - Help

This is a discussion on gnome settings via script - Help ; where're the various settings for the gnome desktop under Fedora. I'm refering to things like: background picture folder-view preferences (double click on bar maximizes window, for ex.) file-view preferences (list view of files, single click opens files, etc) task bar ...

  1. gnome settings via script

    where're the various settings for the gnome desktop under Fedora. I'm
    refering to things like:

    background picture
    folder-view preferences (double click on bar maximizes window, for ex.)
    file-view preferences (list view of files, single click opens files, etc)
    task bar settings

    I'm considering writing a script to set these. From time to time I find a
    need to create a new account and it's a PITA to get it set the way I like.

    thanks,
    Thufir Hawat

  2. Re: gnome settings via script

    thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:

    > where're the various settings for the gnome desktop under Fedora.**I'm*
    > refering to things like:

    .... probably ~/.gnome or ~/.gnome2
    ..
    The truth is what is; what should be is a dirty lie. - Lenny Bruce

  3. Re: gnome settings via script

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:49:52 +0000, mjt wrote:

    > thufir.hawat@mail.com wrote:
    >
    >> where're the various settings for the gnome desktop under Fedora.**I'm*
    >> refering to things like:

    > ... probably ~/.gnome or ~/.gnome2
    > .

    Yes, but you aren't supposed to configure it by editing those files. There
    is a horribly complicated and pathetically undocumented system for
    configuring gnome. I cannot remember the name of the utility you run.
    There is a graphical interface for it that warns you not to use it if you
    start it up. The whole thing is a big nightmare. The gnome developers
    should be ashamed.

    Now don't get me wrong. I think Gnome is an excellent system. But
    the configuration interface is just terrible. You'd think the developers
    would have anticipated that someone would want to customize a user
    interface a certain way and then just make that the default for everyone.
    That is something that should be VERY EASY, guys, as in one or two mouse
    clicks.

    I should be able so use the DOCUMENTED methods to make all the
    icons, panels, etc., just how I want them while logged in as some normal
    user, then click somewhere, give the root password, and then have the same
    setup on all (or a chosen subset of) user logins.

    --
    Thomas D. Shepard
    Sorry, you can't email me.

+ Reply to Thread