Alsa help - Help

This is a discussion on Alsa help - Help ; Hi, as you will soon see I'm a newbie to Linux. I have installed RHE3.0 and am trying to use an Aureal 8820 sound card. RedHat tech support says, "card not supported - try ALSA - good luck". I've downloaded ...

  1. Alsa help

    Hi, as you will soon see I'm a newbie to Linux.
    I have installed RHE3.0 and am trying to use an Aureal 8820 sound card.
    RedHat tech support says, "card not supported - try ALSA - good luck".

    I've downloaded and followed the instructions to install the driver, lib,
    and utils packages. All seemed to go well after an RPM to install the kernel
    source and correctly setting the kernel source path. However, modprobe
    cannot locate the modules
    snd-au8820
    snd-pcm-oss or any others

    if I do a find / -name snd-* I find files like snd-au8820.o in the
    /lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/sound/pci/au88x0 folder

    My question, what have I missed?

    Thanks for the help

  2. Re: Alsa help

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:13:08 -0500, Bert wrote:

    > Hi, as you will soon see I'm a newbie to Linux.
    > I have installed RHE3.0 and am trying to use an Aureal 8820 sound card.
    > RedHat tech support says, "card not supported - try ALSA - good luck".
    >
    > I've downloaded and followed the instructions to install the driver, lib,
    > and utils packages. All seemed to go well after an RPM to install the kernel
    > source and correctly setting the kernel source path. However, modprobe
    > cannot locate the modules
    > snd-au8820
    > snd-pcm-oss or any others
    >
    > if I do a find / -name snd-* I find files like snd-au8820.o in the
    > /lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/sound/pci/au88x0 folder
    >
    > My question, what have I missed?
    >
    > Thanks for the help

    Give the command depmod -a and then see if modprobe finds the file.

+ Reply to Thread